Integrated Amp search continues

Rosie

I got some feedback from some of you recently on the Rogue Sphinx which is high on my list with the Brio R. I am also wondering about Nuprime (and I've read tonight that quite a few of you really like it), Wyred 4 Sound mINT, and integrated amps of about this price point. The Wyred 4 Sound folks have a 15% "restock" fee so once you order it it seems to me that it would be quite expensive to return it so that's not likely for me. I have looked at and listened to the Naim integrated amps but other than the 5si, the top of the line from them is just too much for me at this time. Have any of you had personal experience with these units and what would you recommend. Moreover, have you tried mail ordering equipment without hearing it first? Seems chancy. As always, thank you in advance and be well.

Well, I might have an answer for you soon on the Rogue Sphinx vs my Yamaha A-S801 - I just bought a Rogue today and it should arrive later this week. Should have time this weekend to do an audio shoot out between the two - will report back.

Well, I might have an answer for you soon on the Rogue Sphinx vs my Yamaha A-S801 - I just bought a Rogue today and it should arrive later this week. Should have time this weekend to do an audio shoot out between the two - will report back.
I will be looking forward to what you hear...or don't. Have fun.

I got some feedback from some of you recently on the Rogue Sphinx which is high on my list with the Brio R. I am also wondering about Nuprime (and I've read tonight that quite a few of you really like it), Wyred 4 Sound mINT, and integrated amps of about this price point. The Wyred 4 Sound folks have a 15% "restock" fee so once you order it it seems to me that it would be quite expensive to return it so that's not likely for me. I have looked at and listened to the Naim integrated amps but other than the 5si, the top of the line from them is just too much for me at this time. Have any of you had personal experience with these units and what would you recommend. Moreover, have you tried mail ordering equipment without hearing it first? Seems chancy. As always, thank you in advance and be well.

Depending on how adventurous you are, Schiit Audio has a highly regarded preamp, the Freya, for $699. Within a month they will be releasing a sweet looking amp that does 100 wpc at 8 ohms, or 200 at 4 ohms, also $699. If I was looking right now, I'd put them on the short list.

The Schiit were just class D but w/o the nice PS that make Class D excellent, sorry to say. Heard one at AXPONA and it sounded congested.

No, you're wrong about the class D, you must be mixing your memories up with something else. They have been quite clear that its class a/b. Many have been raving about the amp but I'm not surprised to hear that 100% of listeners don't agree. They never do.

Last edited:
Well, the Vidar amp isn't out yet, so Stereophile hasn't reviewed it, not sure what your meaning is here. And I'm still puzzled how it is that you think the Vidar is class D. Have you figured out how you got your memories crossed up?

I'm talking about folks who have seen it and heard it at demos, just like you. It seems that you don't care for Schiit, and that's fine, but everyone who knows the DAC and headphone market these days knows that Schiit makes units with unbeatable bang for buck.

The Schiit were just class D but w/o the nice PS that make Class D excellent, sorry to say. Heard one at AXPONA and it sounded congested.

Yeah. Those dudes are very proud of the fact that they are going to be offering a solid piece for the price WITHOUT going class D.

Was the Vidar you heard the one(s) hooked up to Salk speakers? Cause those were both pre-production that they said they were still working out the kinks on.

I'm not a HUGE Schiit fanboy, but I do think it's some of the best value gear out there. I currently have a Saga, Bifrost Uber and Bifrost multibit. The Bifrost MB is the best DAC I have owned. There is better out there I'm sure... for the money... not a lot.

I'll probably try a Vidar or two when it comes out.

- Woody

That's funny, I've got the Bifrost Multi too. I'd never tried or thought much about Schiit until recently when I was looking for a cheap DAC, and thought I'd buy the Modi and the Mani phono from them as well. The Modi(Uber) was so good, I started reading up on the Bifrost and decided the upgradability, power supply and larger size was the ticket.

I should mention, I'd grown disenchanted with ID companies after repeated bad experiences with Emotiva. Then the Oppo 95 wasn't as good as advertised. I really wasn't too sure about another Internet Direct company with an odd name.

I emailed Schiit asking if I could return the Modi 7 days outside of their return window after I'd already ordered the Bifrost. They responded to my email in EIGHT MINUTES with a yes. They waived the restocking fee. They shipped the Bifrost super fast and this DAC is jaw dropping. It makes crappy Mp3 files sound amazing. I can't believe it was even possible to do this.

So yeah, I'd give their forthcoming amp a listen if I was in the market for one as well. These guys know their... well, I think you get the idea.

Last edited:
I haven't heard the Shiit amps so it's good to hear about some personal experiences. Thank you one and all.

I think if I needed one I might get a Nuforce dda 120 from Amazon for $299. Or shell out for the Newprime ida 8 for $500 or so. Unless I needed more power to drive my speakers properly.

I have a Brio-R coming after looking around for a good integrated around or under $800ish. I've been enjoying a nicely restored Scott 222D with my pair of Tekton Lore-S, but feel like I may not be hearing the full capability of these speakers with the Scott, as nice as it sounds. It will be an interesting comparison.

To better answer your question what speakers and source gear will you use? What size room? Music?
Are you thinking used or new? What is your budget?

Rogue Audio is a good value overall. I've heard a number of Rogue setups over the years at RMAF nice stuff.
I've never heard a Parasound HALO but it's very highly though of.
I've owned Naim Nait's, an older Nait and then a used 5si. They are very good, but in my case I got bored with them, I like tubes.
Asking questions online is all good and well but each of us have our likes and dislikes also I've found gear to be somewhat synergetic. Just because something works for me it may suck in you case.
I've owned a VAC Sigma for a while now am done!!! Wellllllll maybe will go VAC separates someday in the future. :D

I have owned a Peachtree Grand Integrated for 3-4 years and I just love it. The new Nova150 and Nova 300 should be even better. Great pricing and reviews to back it up.

Back
Top Bottom