Integrated from Separates

welcomdmat

I have been offered a Pioneer SA-9500. This is of course an integrated amplifier.

When is an integrated better (I am in limited space, so that has an influence).

I am running a McIntosh MC2100 with a C712. The Pioneer is a quality piece as well.

My stereo setup is set up on a budget. If I want to upgrade -- or just hear a different sound -- where do I draw the line?

Should I think McIntosh uber alles?

Can you try out the 9500 first? That would be the best way to see if it'll best your 2100-712 combo. I've had both the 9500 and the 2100 in the past and in a limited space situation I'm thinking I'd probably pick the 9500 provided it's in good working order. My 9500 developed problems during the time I owned it. One time it over extended the woofer on start up so much on a pair of hpm100's that the cone hit the grill hard enough to send it flying. Up until that happened it was a nice sounding unit with tank like build quality.

Different for sure, better? Probably not.

I recently restored a 9500 and it certainly was one of Pioneer's better efforts with a parts selection a step up from a typical Pioneer.

I have another one arriving shortly.

You must factor in it will need 5-6 hours of local tech time to get it back up to what it was 40 years ago just like I believe you did for your MC2100.

To improve your sound I believe your efforts should be directed towards improving your sources and especially the interaction of your transducers with their room environment and turntable/ tonearm.

Why change? What is the cartridge on your TT? If you want to hear a different sound (possibly better), think more about the cartridge and the loudspeakers. A good amplifier adds and removes nothing from the sound and your McIntosh gear are probably doing just that.

Personally, there's no way I'd let go of the Mac gear for the Pioneer.

What's missing in your current setup? I'm very familiar with those components and can say you have gear that many people wish they had.

I think it would be a step backwards, not necessarily for fidelity but be prepared for a restoration bill on the Pioneer if nothing had ever been done.

The MC2100 can always be relocated as needed. Nothing says it must be right next to the source/signal equipment.

The Pioneer will not provide any sound quality improvements over your McIntosh components. If that's what you're after, look at replacing your speakers or source components.

I would be looking for a MC 7100 instead, its a perfect slim line mate to your 712. Will put out way over what you would expect at 4 ohms. No autoformers. It will be like night and day difference from your 2100. I owned 2100's, I know for sure.

Yep, I know what to search for. The SP-10MK3 is called a MKIII the vast majority of the time though that's not the actual model designation. Drives me nuts.

I would be looking for a MC 7100 instead, its a perfect slim line mate to your 712. Will put out way over what you would expect at 4 ohms. No autoformers. It will be like night and day difference from your 2100. I owned 2100's, I know for sure.

That is interesting because I still have a MC754 in my spare bedroom. It is fresh back from Audio Classics, and I have only opened it to take a couple of pictures for a few local interests. It is certainly not a MC7100, but it also doesn't run autoformers.

The big trouble I have with autoformers is trying to sell them. They are desirable, but they also weigh about as much as a 1980s Honda.

When you say your space is limited; in what way?

Not enough breathing room around your speakers system will crete huge issues in limiting the caliber of your sound while limited breathing room around your equipment becomes a possible overheating issue but usually will not greatly affect the sound quality.

Back
Top Bottom