Interconnects

joeblack

I know interconnects can cost a little and some can cost a bomb. So is the price factor that dertermines the choice of ics or are there some ics worth the cost in terms of superior quality sound.
At the moent i am using DH labs soniclink matrix and have used them for 5 years.

I am contemplating for a change, any recomendation that sounds more superior to my present ics.

My set is CJ preamp +CJ amp+ Linnsondek.+ Vandies2ce

I dont listen to cds.

Thanks in advance.

IMHO, the point of diminishing returns on cables and interconnects is much, much lower than most people realize.

Just curious, Why do you wish to change ICs?
Personally, I'm not a fan of DH labs, but that's just me.
What price range are you contemplating? A lot will depend on what sound you are looking for.
For inexpensive ICs, I recomend Alpha-core's *copper* micro-purl ICs.

I'm using Final Labs ICs right now on my primary system and just love them. I will be trying out some Chord ICs soon and expect great things based on my experience with their speaker cables.

-Dave

Just curious too, Jack, looking for ICs with all the attributes of an all rounder. thats all , some options would help me narrow my selections. Since i am hooked only to the vinyls, so as detailed and warm as possible:)

Regards

OK.
Whatever you try, make sure you have return options. Alpha-core sells direct with a decent return policy. You can try the Cable Company, they will let you audtion some cables on a trial period-only costs you shipping.
ICs, I've been happy with?

Alpha-core's copper micro purl-
reasonably good, relatively neutral, Ok but not killer detail . CHEAP-used in my HT Thier tourmaline is OK-thicker copper, more expensive-using this on my phono stage. Silver vbersions are brighter sounding.

Tara's RSC cables are nice(various prices)

Analysis plus makes some decent ICs. I'm using their solo 8s on my CDP-full rich detailed sound. Their lesser cables aren't wuite as extended.

XLO makes nice ICs too.

You can always make your own if you have the time and energy.

Jack

Can someone please clarify this: that pure silver wire sounds analytical and less warm than a pure copper wire? Copper wire is more suitable for vinyl listeners. Please correct me if i am wrong

Thanks
JoeB

Originally posted by joeblack
Can someone please clarify this: that pure silver wire sounds analytical and less warm than a pure copper wire? Copper wire is more suitable for vinyl listeners. Please correct me if i am wrong

Thanks
JoeB

IMHO yes to the 1st question and no to the 2nd one, unless you do not want to hear the full potential of your vinyl setup.

Thanks
JoeB

My limited experience has been that silver cables(and silver plated copper) sound brighter and somewhat cooler than copper.
Is that good or bad? That depends on your system and tastes.
I personally prefer copper cables now, but at one point, I had a system that benefited from the added zip and sparkle of silver cables. OTOH, that added zip and sparkle now sounds like edginess and brightness.
I wouldn't say one is more suitable for vinyl than another. You will have to decide for yourself. Also, there are always exceptions.
Jack

The funniest thing about wiring and interconnects is that nobody can pass a double blind test about what kind of cables or interconnects were used. If I put $1.99 electrical cord and told you they were $50.00 a foot "magic" wires, you couldn't tell the difference, and I challenge anybody here to do a double blind test and be able to pick out one set of connectors or wires from another.

I know interconnects can cost a little and some can cost a bomb. So is the price factor that dertermines the choice of ics or are there some ics worth the cost in terms of superior quality sound.
At the moent i am using DH labs soniclink matrix and have used them for 5 years.

I am contemplating for a change, any recomendation that sounds more superior to my present ics.

My set is CJ preamp +CJ amp+ Linnsondek.+ Vandies2ce

I dont listen to cds.

Thanks in advance.

I don't want to discourage you from trying different interconnects out. But, have you done anything with room treatments yet? It's certainly something to look into and can have good results on the sound within your room. If your compromised, like I am, by having a wife who may be accepting of various audio equipment...but not accepting of different room treatments (bass traps and panels) being set-up...you can just choose to make the temporary and portable.

Somethin' ta think about ;)

take care,
dan

Originally posted by DanTana
The funniest thing about wiring and interconnects is that nobody can pass a double blind test about what kind of cables or interconnects were used. If I put $1.99 electrical cord and told you they were $50.00 a foot "magic" wires, you couldn't tell the difference, and I challenge anybody here to do a double blind test and be able to pick out one set of connectors or wires from another.

I know this is like politics, everybody has a different view..... but i disagree with this one on the basis that i was using all types of cables.

Specifically i was using a monster interconnect with the same system i had previously used Virtual Dynamics cables. it just down right didn't sound that good with the monsters. you would get listener fatigue very fast. once i switched over to Analysis Plus cables, i immediantly could hear the benefits of these cables over the monster.

Also, some people don't have an ear for it, so they think all cables sound the same.

Whether it's a $5 pair or $100 pr. If you can hear the difference and it's audibly worth the increase/decrease in price then choose the cable you think sounds the best.

More expensive doesn't always mean better, but there is a difference in cables.

Last edited:
I still don't think you could pass a double blind test using those or $1.99 electrical cord. The only benefit from using "exotics" could be from shielding of EMI and that too is debatable.

Originally posted by DanTana
I still don't think you could pass a double blind test using those or $1.99 electrical cord. The only benefit from using "exotics" could be from shielding of EMI and that too is debatable.

if you're saying you don't hear a difference in cables, then fortunetly or unfortunetly you don't have the ear for it.. like i said some people can hear a difference and some people can't. neither one is better than the other, but to generalize and say no one can tell the difference is just wrong.

I KNOW i can hear the difference because i've experienced it.

:D Just enjoy the music in your own right...

If your brain tells you, or you "justify" the cost by thinking it sounds better, so be it. I still submit to you to do a scientific double-blind test. I have NEVER seen one competent stereo magazine or independant writer EVER pass one using interconnects and if you think your ears are better than people who spend their life judging equipment for a living then that's your reality.

This topic has been argued to death several times over and there is no point in doing it again. Each individual has the right to decide for themselves what cables, interconnects, isolation devices, etc. they want to use and how much money they want to spend. They will also decide for themselves what improvements, if any, these components make on their system in their listening environment.

Yeah, I believe cables make a difference and it doesn’t matter to me if anyone else does or not. If you want to use zip cord - fine, if you want to use $300.00 per foot cable - fine, it’s an individual choice.

-Dave

We are in just of the beginning stages of getting together people who enjoy music for a stereo club and we have tested differing interconnects during two (2) separate meetings. The opinions and each one's differing level of hearing did not really indicate a clear winner as to which cable was the absolute best of the lot. I do not recall the exact pricing range but I seem to remember it went from $35.00 per 1 meter pair to $3,000.00 per 1 meter pair. I agree that this topic has been beaten many times and will continue to be so, but it just comes down to what works best with your individual components and what you personally hear with each change. It has already been stated but it is what works the best and that is try the set for the week and if they do not work for you, then get another set and try them for a week. It is your money and you are the only one that can decide if what you are gaining is worth what you are having to spend.

Back
Top Bottom