Interested in Tube but have no idea what to look for

See what the exact model of your Scott amp is. They built some very nice PP amps and have a big following, love my Scott 222C.
You have one of the best speakers made for tubes. Check out my signature, love tubes on Altec's!

BillWojo
Scott 222b

Scott 222b
HH Scott made some very nice tube amplifiers in the early '60s. The 222 series in particular is very well-regarded, though I've heard good things about pretty much all of their tube amps. However, like any tube amplifier, they're going to need new capacitors and perhaps some other parts, along with general maintenance like checking the tubes and the socket contacts they plug into. I myself have an early 299A (uses EL84-type tubes like the 222, but unlike the later versions of the 299) which is waiting for me to get it a set of tubes, and restore it to working order.
-Adam

Hi i have heard from many that tube gear is some of the best reproduction of sound, at the moment i have a system that sounds pretty amazing. For some back ground i am using an Oracle turntable with a Technics 100 arm, an Otrofon Bronze Cadenza cart, Altec 19 speakers and switching between a Marantz 2385 and a completely restored Pioneer SX 1980 . My listening room has carpet on the floor, bass traps, acoustic and sound diffuser panels so my sound reproduction is pretty good. If i was to improve on this with a tube amp, what would i be looking for or would there not be a great sound improvement at at all. An y advice is appreciated. thanks

What types of music do you listen to?

How large is the room? How loud do you listen?

I went through a phase where I collected the "monster receivers" (including SX-1980). I sold all of them, except for a Kenwood KR-9050. (BTW, one of my favorite monster receivers was a Marantz 2285B, which I somewhat regret selling.)

For the classical music I love, Klipsch speakers and vintage tube amps are my choice. (I wish I could hear an Altec 19.)

I suggest getting your Scott 222B squared away. Was your 222B electronically restored? What problems is it exhibiting?

IME, a vintage tube amp should sound wonderful, and will sound completely different from your SX-1980. Once you get your 222B functioning correctly, this will give you an idea if you like the sound of tubes.

If you want a "warmer" or "richer" sound than what the 222B delivers, consider a Scott with 7591 output tubes (e.g., Scott 299C), or 6L6GC (Scott 296).

I own quite a few tube amps, and I can try to answer your questions about sound quality, but it's difficult to describe in words. Here's a quick attempt:
  • 6L6GC: This is my overall favorite output tube, providing the quintessential tube “warm sound”.
  • EL34/6CA7 A good choice for a relatively powerful tube amp that is a bit more neutral than 6L6GC. (Fisher X-1000 is an example of an integrated amp with EL34.)
  • 7591: 7591 amps can be nice warm sounding amps.
  • 7189: Mellow sounding
  • KT88: More bright sounding. More like solid-state sound.
Of course, these are generalizations. The key is synergy with your speakers, and your personal preference based on the music you like.

As far as music for me its vintage rock, Beatles, Bowie, Stones, Billy Joel, Supertramp, Deep purple to name a few. not really into Jazz so i feel the altec 19s are a good choice. also alot of the music i listen to needs the extra power to detail the instruments used, in my opinion. I know as far as clarity my Marantz 2275 has great reviews but for me lacked the punch at lower volumes, i look for detailed reproduction at lower volumes for me 9-10 o'clock on the dial.

As far as music for me its vintage rock, Beatles, Bowie, Stones, Billy Joel, Supertramp, Deep purple to name a few. not really into Jazz so i feel the altec 19s are a good choice. also alot of the music i listen to needs the extra power to detail the instruments used, in my opinion. I know as far as clarity my Marantz 2275 has great reviews but for me lacked the punch at lower volumes, i look for detailed reproduction at lower volumes for me 9-10 o'clock on the dial.

I think that is one of the things I like about tubes: they perform well as lower volumes. With SS amps I always found myself turning it up until I say THERE IT IS! With tubes the detail starts at a whisper. Maybe it's just me and this is one reason why IMO solid-state works best in pure class-A.

Another possible route to what you're looking for is to use something like a Bob Latino ST-120 stereo tube power amp. It is essentially a modernized Dynaco ST-70 with 60 WPC. I'm guessing it will provide the low end you like in your Pioneer or at least most of it. You could drive it with a tube preamp or maybe a good SS pre like an Apt Holman.

I run my Altec 604E's on an updated Dynaco ST-70 fed by a Vacuum Tube Audio SP14 tube preamp with a Bryston crossover feeding a powered sub to add just a bit of bottom end. It sounds nice. I don't always use the sub and it still sounds great to me.

Last edited:
We share the same taste in music. For me, an old integrated EICO ST-70 coupled to some DIY Sentinels (98db@1w) hits the sweet spot for CD's. The EICO is integrated and uses 7591 power tubes. I'ts not as stellar with vinyl as it is with CD's so I use my Marantz for vinyl. I'm just getting into the tube world myself. Learning. Enjoying. And hope to one day impart some knowledge on the next AK'r. Great hobby, tons of fun stuff out there no matter what the budget. I'm pushing my 6th decade and can honestly say that we have never had it this good in the audio world.

Wow i am impressed with all of the feedback and advice, and appreciate all the help . thanks again .

I think from all ive learned the next step is listening to some older tube equipment, I live in a City called Hamilton just outside of Toronto in Canada. Im not aware of any Akers near me but you never know. what i have learned from the journey of looking for great sound is patience, i have purchased alot of equipment in the past that i wish i had given amiss. I did buy a Scott B tube amp a while ago but it never ran properly, not sure if it was a problem fore hand or if shipping damaged it. I may try and get it going but thought even if i did, not enough power( i may be wrong) . thanks for all of the responses so far and giving me some info to start my newest journey. pete
I know it would probably be awkward... but I'm in contact a guy who lives about 3 hours from you in Hastings, although that seems like a bit of a trip just to listen to toobs. He'd probably offer you a beer and show off his Polk SDA's at VOLUME. But... I can see how that might not appeal to some.
In any case, I'm running a Yaqin MC13S that wasn't tremendous right out of the box, but after a tube swap and some better caps, I'm liking it a LOT. I guess it depends on the ear of the subject and the sound they like.

Back
Top Bottom