Interesting article on cables...drama ensues...

One mans opinion is different from another mans opinion so that's where we're at.

Testing? That was certainly flawed and uncontrolled.

But it must be true, I read it on the internet.

Therein lies the problem to many people read what they want to believe, all the while never getting their hands on anything and judging for themselves.

Here is the first post in the thread, just to refresh the original topic.

http://www.realhd-audio.com/?p=6236

I'm certainly not looking to start any controversy amongst AK members, but it's an interesting look at something in the audiophile community.

It seems to be about someone taking offense at a vendor's presentation at an Audio show, posting his dispute with the presented info,
and getting himself banned from that society for doing so.

Last edited:
Surely you didn’t take what I wrote as being a bully and trying to close down a thread ? If so then something is really wrong . Like I stated before I get it , can’t state your own opinion about your own gear for the fear of people getting offended. With that said I’m done with this thread I wouldn’t want to offend anyone talking about my own opinion about my own power cable .

Audiofreak71

I'm sure it was only because the thread is about the disagreement between a member of the LA Audio Society and the president of that society. The thread got severely side track and got to power cables. The moderator was just trying to get it back on track of the intent of the thread, which is not about power cables, it is about removing a member from the society because he disputed another members claims, which just happen to be a manufacture of power cable. For some reason everyone just wanted to latch on to the power cable debate and not the intent of the OP which was the fact I stated about above.

I'm usually all mix up but I think I got this one figured out.;)

The facts are if you want to be in control, start your own blog. If you don't like what another member or manufacture of an audio society presents in one of their meeting just don't buy it or believe it. But don't go posting negative things about the manufacture or the society and expect to remain a member in good standing. If you can't follow those terms, start your own society, and establish your own rules.

Freedom of the press and speech doesn't allow you the right to be a member of an organization, that right is limited to the owners or board of directors of an organization at their pleasure.

The facts are if you want to be in control, start your own blog. If you don't like what another member or manufacture of an audio society presents in one of their meeting just don't buy it or believe it. But don't go posting negative things about the manufacture or the society and expect to remain a member in good standing. If you can't follow those terms, start your own society, and establish your own rules.
Correct, on the net we're in a smaller world, Grumpy would ban members here if he seen unethical post by members posted on other sites bad mouthing AK or staff. I found a banned member once that was bad mouthing staff here, Grumpy had no problem confronting it on another site because he found out about it.
Freedom of the press and speech doesn't allow you the right to be a member of an organization, that right is limited to the owners or board of directors of an organization at their pleasure.
Yep

I'm sure it was only because the thread is about the disagreement between a member of the LA Audio Society and the president of that society. The thread got severely side track and got to power cables. The moderator was just trying to get it back on track of the intent of the thread, which is not about power cables, it is about removing a member from the society because he disputed another members claims, which just happen to be a manufacture of power cable. For some reason everyone just wanted to latch on to the power cable debate and not the intent of the OP which was the fact I stated about above.
Ok I understand and respect that , thanks for clarifying.

Audiofreak71

Most likely has been blocked for not playing well with others. ;)

Not sure how things work but he can send PM's. I will say he was pretty hard and I can see how he can rub wrong although I didn't think so with me. Anyways, he did offer a theory on how and why power cables work. If it is true, it would be an advance over anything I have seen from the resident retailers. The problem is his secretive nature which tells me that the "power in truth", pun intended, aspect is missing.

It was a Audio Society policy discussion, not really about Power Cords, certainly not about interconnects.
Someone locked the thread earlier - then on reflection, they opened it again to see if folks could behave.
I think y'all can, but some want to be a pest and close down threads just to be bullies.
So, I delete their BS and try to let the thread stay on topic - discussing the argument in the Audio Society, NOT the value of Power cords!

Go re-read the first post to see the topic here.

Much appreciated. Although this is a contentious topic, the marketing and opinion shifting that power cable proponents exercise is very interesting.

My opinion, Mark Waldrep is a unethical and shady character that I would not want around me let alone carry his water.

Actually the Society president had a tough decision to make, who knows if it was the in the best interest of the Society, especially considering the fact that the member is quite educated and seems to be fairly established in the audio community. As much as the President was trying to stand by the bylaws of the organization to some it could look like it was more focused on protecting the importance of the manufactures with the society than with concerns of the members.

If I were king of that Society, I would not allow either of them to be member, but haver a special place for manufactures and people like Dr. Mark because honestly he isn't just a Joe Blow that likes music he is an industry insider just like the cable manufacture. Having all these industry insiders is like letting a fox in the hen house, they are their to push their products or agenda's. In my simple mind they would be better off sticking with just people who enjoy music and want to get together for lunch and enjoying chatting and listening to music. Industry insiders have audio industry Associations that they can belong to.

Last edited:
Actually the Society president had a tough decision to make, who knows if it was the in the best interest of the Society, especially considering the fact that the member is quite educated and seems to be fairly established in the audio community. As much as the President was trying to stand by the bylaws of the organization to some it could look like it was more focused on protecting the importance of the manufactures with the society than with concerns of the members.
Who cares what someone knows, it comes down to ethics and the character of a individual. That's what did him in and it was stated in the letter.

That you snuck into a Society event: hi-rez recording gear to record and analyze their claims and did all this without any permission from anyone. Plus, you attended and sold merchandise by the grace of the society at the event, gratis.

Last edited:
Potty mouth post deleted.
I can curse like a sailor too, but - having an intellect means I don't NEED to.
Thinking about the kiddos ...
Cute new avatar, kiddo. I hope this is on topic. I used to go to SAE conventions at Cobo Hall and I never saw any exhibit that insulted the intelligence of the visitors. Obviously there were products and designs which might have questionable appeal / utility in the market place - but there was nothing that "defied the laws of physics" so to speak. If a company tried to get a booth to exhibit such ideas the people running the convention would nip that in the bud.

Who cares what someone knows, it comes down to ethics and the character of a individual. That's what did him in and it was stated in the letter.

That you snuck into a Society event: hi-rez recording gear to record and analyze their claims and did all this without any permission from anyone. Plus, you attended and sold merchandise by the grace of the society at the event, gratis.

I don't normally side with retailers but in this case, Dr. Mark crossed the line. The LAOCAS home page is here. Their mission is clear:

...Let us be your guide to the finest dealers and most exciting gear available in Southern California. Meet the experts and gurus of our fantastic hobby and learn about the newest, cutting-edge technologies to enhance your listening experience...

So, case closed. They are industry advocates, plain and simple. Of greater importance to me is why the LAOCAS call themselves a society. A society is a community and much like AK, should nurture and moderate discussion in which most viewpoints are welcome. Clearly, the LAOCAS does not tolerate dissenting activity.

Last edited:
Gotta figure there is a diff between SAE folks and the casual audiophile community.
Not being mean, a dear friend was a serious engineer type - tons of common sense and a real eagerness to get things done ... He loved a good challenge ...
He'd rather Do something than buy a solution ... R.I.P Pete ...

Sounds like the LA Society was not my kind of music fans ...

Back
Top Bottom