Interesting birthday scores

H2s04

auralmicitisis
In addition to witnessing an amazing Branford Marsalis concert at the Sanders Theatre, I scored a few interesting things earlier in the day: a pair of KLH system 20 speakers to match my system 20 TT/tuna/amp, an interesting, relatively small Sony RTR deck along with a small, but hefty, silver pioneer tape deck (I'll get the serial numbers later, as they're all in the basement). The neat find, though, is a pair of Jensen model 3 speakers. Their foam surrounds are on the way out (I they could probably suffer alot of damage from a few pokes with my index finger) so they'll need to be replaced some time soon (it'll be my first foam replacement job, eek). I haven't tested them out on anything other than an old panasonic (not technics) receiver I found the day earlier, so i'm sure they'll sound much better once I fix them up, and bring them upstairs.

Hey those are some nice items! I have the Jensen Model 4's. I hate to lower your hopes on the Jensens but to be honest with you even after I refoamed my 4's they didn't impress me much at all! they were alright but that's about it. I think it's partly because they are very heavy and have nice cabinets and impresive looking drivers so the expectations are high but, the sound was honestly a little thin. I have been meaning to hook them back up and give them another serious audition. Maybe I need to open them up some and see if they need a break in? I think when I asked about the 4's on this very site I got the same kind of info I gave you.

I wouldn't hesitate to say that the KLH model Twenties will blow the Jensens away as far as tonal balance and overall sound. It's a shame though....such a nice looking and apparently well designed line of speakers that don't quite meet expectations. It is possible that the problem may be in the crossover design? Or it could only be a problem with the 4's and not the 3's?

Just a note...remember the model Twenty KLH's are 4 ohms. It's important to match them up of course you have the Model Twenty sytem so no problem! I have included a few pictures of my 4's. Nice looking speakers! Those turqouise surrounds were cool looking but they are gone now! If you want some hints on the refoaming job PM me and I will give you a couple of good ones. Good Luck! franksta

Back
Top Bottom