Interesting Home made speakers

Krosya

I am a sucker for the unusual speakers. So, when I came across these, I had to get them. Cabinets are very well made and look nice. Driver layout reminds me of a JBL S38 speakers I used to have sometime ago, just with 8inch woofers instead of 10.. They needed a refoam but otherwise fine.
R0010269.jpg

R0010270.jpg

R0010272.jpg

Inside they have some thick wires and look like someone really took time making them. Woofer is Realisic/Radioshack, nothing amazing but actually sounds pretty good. Other drivers - no idea - didnt pull them, but mid and dome tweet sound very very good. These are very clear and clean sounding in mid/high end, but at first had a rather boomy low end.
R0010267.jpg

R0010271.jpg

R0010263.jpg

R0010261.jpg

I had some PVC pipe sitting around that happened to be just the right size for the ports, cut 6inch pieces, stuck them in and speakers cleaned up a lot on the low end. I just guessed on this one as I know nothing about how to calculate these parameters. But I do like to experiment. ;). Still have to run them a bit more to see if there is anything else I want to change about them, but so far I'm pretty happy.
One thing than really stands out - they have a very good soundstage. Not like my Heresys but still very good. Actually better than some other speakers I have.
I dont have much of a background story on these. A gentleman I got these from told me that supposedly he got them from a guy who used to work for a Clair? speaker company and liked to make his own stuff as a hobby. Dont know if this is true or not, but whoever made them did a very good job.
Maybe one day I'll put a better woofer in them, but even as they are they can rival some name brand speakers.

no pics for crossovers - they are way up inside the speaker, so I didnt get in there to get a good view yet.

here is how they look in my set up in a work room in a basement:
R0010274.jpg

R0010273.jpg

Nice find - - - those do appear very well constructed, and I'll add another voice of curiosity about the crossover. Just my opinion, but I think you gotta paint those PVC port pipes. :eek:

Nice find - - - those do appear very well constructed, and I'll add another voice of curiosity about the crossover. Just my opinion, but I think you gotta paint those PVC port pipes. :eek:
I will paint them, but when I decide for sure that I want to keep them and what length. For now I'm just trying thing out. Whenever I get in them again, I will take a pic of the crossovers. Its just I have other thing I need to focus on right now.

I'd model these with some design software in order to calculate the correct lengths for the ports. You'll have to determine the internal volume, but if you're lucky the software will already have the T/S params for the woofers.

I'd model these with some design software in order to calculate the correct lengths for the ports. You'll have to determine the internal volume, but if you're lucky the software will already have the T/S params for the woofers.

Thanks for the idea. Since I have never done this, any suggestions where I should start/what software to use?

I think those are simple gorgeous speakers. I particularly like the recessed grills that don't cover the entire face. Did you try them with the ports plugged?

I think those are simple gorgeous speakers. I particularly like the recessed grills that don't cover the entire face. Did you try them with the ports plugged?
No, I didnt. I think I read somewhere that those RS woofers are not designed for a sealed box, if I am not confusing anything.

I haven't heard of any attempts with sealed box. When I want to avoid the port #s work I use a telescoping sleeve in the tube of what ever I can find that fits nice. Then move it in and out till I like the results. I was told open baffle and folded horn worked good with that driver. I was curious if you tried plugging it just to see. If you do would you please let us know the results? Those look like good stout boxes. The method of stuffing looks like my KLH 17. Packed almost full of glass.

Switched realistic woofers with some Aztec ones I had laying around - much better low end and they sound even better now!:

R0010276.jpg

Well, I spoke too soon - more bass, but it made overall sound more muddy, so back to original Realistic woofers and they sound more precise and clean. Very similar to ADS L710 but just not as deep. Interesting how different drivers change speaker so much.

Back
Top Bottom