Interesting JVC speakers...it's true!

janikphoto

Lunatic Member
I was in a thrift and saw some speakers with some pretty nice looking drivers... the kind of stuff that only shows up in high-end cabs. I looked closer, and the logo was JVC?!? I knew they had a couple nice models among the sea of junk, but I never thought I'd see them in real life.

Well, there they were - a pair of SX-A6 speakers. They were too destroyed for me to actually pick them up, as one tweeter was totally destroyed, both passives were falling out, one or both mids were pretty crushed, and the cabs were knocked around. But, I could see they were something serious at one point. It was cool.

SX-A6.jpg

I love finding obscure speakers in obscure places. Always makes me wonder about the life of speakers and how they get beat up so badly.

Would be interested to hear if anyone has experience with these....they look very nice.

Yea, the Digifine line of gear was pretty nice. I too wish I could hear a model of speaks like that.

Rome

I love finding obscure speakers in obscure places. Always makes me wonder about the life of speakers and how they get beat up so badly.

Would be interested to hear if anyone has experience with these....they look very nice.
Bought these speakers brand new when I was a kid, maybe 1982 or 1983, they weren't bad except for 1 issue, I had a the JVC knobless receiver (I think it was the only one made back then) it was on the cover of stereo review as the years best pick or something. Bought the receiver then bought the speakers thinking it was going to be a match made in heaven. Quickly found out that once given any amount of volume the tweeters would go into protect mode!

It didn't take much to make it happen, took them apart and was they had a lightbulb wired into the crossover and realized they were all flash and had very little potential. In this case looks are deceiving and JVC had tossed another piece of junk out there to the public. You didn't miss much, and hold your hat's on this one, my tiny all plastic Bose 201's could produce more sound with better quality than these giant floor standing space taker uppers. I was very dissapointed since I didn't discover the tweeters were cutting out untill well after the return period had ended. I never new there was any tweeter protection circuit at that time. Of course it's well known that many were using it but I never knew until I investigated it for myself.

I've had two pairs of JVC SK1000-II which I believe were built to compete with JBL and Pioneer of the time. The SK1000 is a really nice speaker, very well made and flies nicely under the radar........

Back
Top Bottom