Interesting KR-9600 Tidbits

gort69

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I recently got a KR-9600 in a wood case. The case was messed up so I gave it away to an AK member, and converted it to a metal case unit because I had a nice spare cover.

I didn't notice until I got it all back together, but the radio dial looked funny, as in I couldn't see the numbers unless it was turned on. WTH?

So I looked at another one I have and they are there plain as day. Weird.

So I looked at the "Destination Parts List" in the s/m, and sure enough, those models listed under "PX" - which seem to be the only ones available with the wood case - have a different part number listed for the dial calibration. I never knew...and wonder why, really.

The other kinda interesting thing is the bottom cover. The wood case version came with a plated (cadmium?) cover vs the original metal case version's painted bottom cover. The stampings are identical.

Last edited:
Interesting. Never had a wood cased one, so I wonder if the lit display looks much different.

Yes, I'll verify that one. Only saw one like that and it had a wood case.
Also more info -- I have 2 of these in my pile with this mod, I believe EW saw this when I posted it.
And it has a part number on it etc. But I cannot find any info on it. Unless it's a late fix they put in and
it never got incorporated to the SM. ???

00-kr9600-added-board.JPG

It's a retrofit for the 9600, recommended for when the receiver is expected to operate with any difficult to drive loads. Basically a current foldback circuit.

But im gona hook the wires back up and see what happens he said he didnt want to hook them up to see if it worked so i have to know before i do all that work

Back
Top Bottom