Interesting read on the price of vinyl

Yes, even used records are going up. Vendors charge what the market will bear. I buy many more used records than new. New stuff is too expensive and so many of the new pressings are horrible. Ticks, pops and poor sound all around.

In the 80's I paid $7.99 to $8.99 for a run of the mill commercial record. Put that number in an inflation calculator and it comes up to roughly $22 in 2018 money. Factor in that vinyl is now a niche product, and not the main way people buy music, which means it no longer has economies of scale. I have seen plenty of new releases on music sites in the $20 range. I don't think we are getting robbed as badly as the article alludes to.

Regards
Mister Pig

I used to pay $2.35 for an album. Kinda sad that they are 10x or more than that now. I have many records that still have the price sticker on the plastic. Yesterday I ripped off the plastic from one of them (record is decades old) and the album cover looked like brand new--not dull/faded.

Indie label owner Trevor LaRocque blasted the popularity of these sales.

Not to pick on the old-schoolers, but Fleetwood Mac’s Rumors? That’s between $32 and $34.99. We’re talking about Rumors, man. That record should honestly cost, like, no money… But they know that people are gonna buy it, that people want that record.

Build a better mousetrap Trevor.

Bought more newly pressed vinyl than ever before last year. Aside from a box set ... most
I spent on average was $20 ish per copy. Most I remember spending was about $30 for
Rush Test for Echo (on sale) ... worth every penny :thumbsup: ... Nice QRP pressing ... never issued on Vinyl before.

The CD version I had was a victim of the loudness wars.

51mFop4zV0L._SY300_QL70_.jpg

In the 80's I paid $7.99 to $8.99 for a run of the mill commercial record. Put that number in an inflation calculator and it comes up to roughly $22 in 2018 money. Factor in that vinyl is now a niche product, and not the main way people buy music, which means it no longer has economies of scale. I have seen plenty of new releases on music sites in the $20 range. I don't think we are getting robbed as badly as the article alludes to.

Regards
Mister Pig

Agreed. I travel an hour away to get new records because they are usually $10 cheaper than retailers like FYE (which is about the only local store around here). Bought a few records on Amazon right around $20.

Yes, even used records are going up. Vendors charge what the market will bear. I buy many more used records than new. New stuff is too expensive and so many of the new pressings are horrible. Ticks, pops and poor sound all around.

Seems to me all pressings are a gamble. I have bought older sealed records that have pops and ticks. I have bought new stuff that has been flawless....Santana IV, Biters Electric Blood, for example but got a new copy of G' N R Appetite for Destruction and it was full of pops and ticks.

Back
Top Bottom