Interesting Stereo Ads? Post a pic for memory lane's sake.

were reel to reel decks ever very popular? what were their main uses- making home mix tapes? recording from broadcast? i know that prerecorded material was not that readily available. just wondering.
RTR's were expensive. The tapes were also, compared to LP's. Records and cassettes were easier to play not having to thread a tape in a RTR.

bb6c9932d57d2b09d1fb2d4bbc7b3044--vintage-illustration-tape.jpg

were reel to reel decks ever very popular? what were their main uses- making home mix tapes? recording from broadcast? i know that prerecorded material was not that readily available. just wondering.
They were not prevalent compared to the turntable, no. But common enough that even a non "HiFi buff" would recognize the equipment and what it was used for. We had them in our schools. I would say that taping broadcast music was a common use when live music was transmitted in the larger metro areas was popular. There was a good amount of prerecorded music, actually. At least up to the point where the cassette and 8-track pushed it out of the label libraries.

Back
Top Bottom