Interesting vintage speakers?

Jimmydog8

Does anyone have any recommendations for something in the ball part of £200 that are loud, old & with decent/interesting sound or form factor? (like speakers with lots of drivers)

I have a great set up in my room but wanted something more interesting for my living room.

Do you just want interesting looking or do you want them to sound like something?

What other gear, how loud, how big a room, what makes it interesting to you?

Here in the states, the Dahlquist DQ-10 and Magneplanar speakers are interesting and decent, just not loud without a good bit of muscle.

Talking in £ means generally UK based options and that is something we see much less of on this side of the pond. Many of the quality speaker manufacturers in Europe just made monkey coffins of various sizes and abilities and will little knowledge of all of them it is hard to recommend one. Maybe the British Audio forum would have some discussions of speakers that would fit your needs.

Did Radio Shack sell the Mach One internationally? If so, it’s sure loud and interesting looking.

Does anyone have any recommendations for something in the ball part of £200 that are loud, old & with decent/interesting sound or form factor? (like speakers with lots of drivers)

I have a great set up in my room but wanted something more interesting for my living room.

Personally I tend to find older Dynaco, KLH, AR, and Advents speakers with the beige screens to be great looking speakers. Mostly two way designs but my experience with KLH 17s and Dynaco A-25s is that they're fantastic sounding speakers.

Personally I tend to find older Dynaco, KLH, AR, and Advents speakers with the beige screens to be great looking speakers. Mostly two way designs but my experience with KLH 17s and Dynaco A-25s is that they're fantastic sounding speakers.

I really like my KLH 17s as well.

Perhaps the OP would like something similar to my Pioneer CS 88s. I know Pioneer was sold in Europe in the early 70s. They are heavy, extremely well made with lovely woven wood grill and have five drivers without sounding kabuki. They have a 12in woofer but have a big enough cab so they dont roll off. I just had my recapped and they are pretty amazing......the bass kicks you like Chuck Norris. The CS88As dont sound nearly as good to me and they always need foam for the tweets.

31503406_1888166071203331_2159108917584461824_o.jpg

Before being sanded and oiled......

31543258_1888047751215163_2707797208761106432_o.jpg

Kenwood KL-777 series are crazy loud and can take a lot of power as well, so super loud. Tight fast speaker. Lots of drivers and do sound good. Don't cost much. Plenty parts for cheap.
Wharfedale W70D's are loud and sound better but cost twice as much and parts are pricey.
The KLH 17's sound good and are loud but can't take the power so not really loud. Unless stacked. Double dollars.
And the MachOne's sure look the part. They're medium loud but can take the power. Bit expensive for the sound, parts to.
Most good Fisher's suck power.

Kenwood KL-777 series are crazy loud and can take a lot of power as well, so super loud. Tight fast speaker. Lots of drivers and do sound good. Don't cost much. Plenty parts for cheap.
Wharfedale W70D's are loud and sound better but cost twice as much and parts are pricey.
The KLH 17's sound good and are loud but can't take the power so not really loud. Unless stacked. Double dollars.
And the MachOne's sure look the part. They're medium loud but can take the power. Bit expensive for the sound, parts to.
Most good Fisher's suck power.

The KLH 17 runs fine on a 60 watt amp and can get plenty loud for the average living room space. Just don't overdrive the bass.

I was thinking 100 watts plus for long periods. Love my 17's.
The Kenwood and Mach not so much. But they do go loud.
I got the impression Jimmydog8 is looking for ear damage loud.

I don't know if they were sold across the pond, but Rectilinear III's are great "interesting" speakers with multiple strangely placed drivers, that sound great.
Also Avid 105's are excellent. Side firing tweeters. They sound great too.

You're spot on! Unfortunately my vintage speakers will have to wait. I'll come back to the decision when I'm in the position to once again. I've listed the recomendations, hopefully the market will be good when I reapproach it! :)

I am building a system around some Infinity IRS Betas, they are far and away the most interesting vintage speakers I have ever encountered...Also have JBL Apollo C51s and Early 70s Klipsch Cornwalls...neither are particularly interesting aside from the sound they create ;)

I am surprised that no one has brought up the JBL L-100 speakers. Here in the U.S. during the 70' you could not find a better sounding or better built speaker. I feel as a vintage speaker that still holds true today. I have seen them on ebay UK. Can't go wrong with JBL.

I am surprised that no one has brought up the JBL L-100 speakers. Here in the U.S. during the 70' you could not find a better sounding or better built speaker. I feel as a vintage speaker that still holds true today. I have seen them on ebay UK. Can't go wrong with JBL.
Would that be subjective?
Welcome to AK.

Hi to everyone in this forum. As too the question posted. Yes, my opinion on JBL is subjective and a good point. Just like most things, it up the the listener as to what sounds best. If you do a search on the L-100's you will see some great reviews over the years. The prices reflect the value and quality of this model. JBL has had such a demand that they have reissued the L-100's this year. In stores you can now get a new pair for $4,000 dollars. But in the end like a fine wine it does come down to what the listener wants to hear. I would not argue with that statement.:)

D486630C-01D5-40EA-8F20-9CA9C7C9C48C.jpeg

Empire 9000’s

yeah how about a legendary company that made speakers that were used by Telarc the first great CD manufacurer that didn't use any compression. FULL dynamic range. They used to warn people to turn down the volume so they wouldn't damage the amp or the speakers. ADS. There is a pair of the L2030s for sale, totally rebuilt from a factory tech engineer, and it can be set to line array or point source with the flip of a switch. Multi drivers built by an astrophysicist who came from Germany to work at NASA.
150lbs per speaker and built like a tank. On sale at US Audiomart. There is a blog on the site and the seller is MAtt
Check out this thread.
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/ads-l2030-restoration.801968/page-21#post-11943078

Hi to everyone in this forum. As too the question posted. Yes, my opinion on JBL is subjective and a good point. Just like most things, it up the the listener as to what sounds best. If you do a search on the L-100's you will see some great reviews over the years. The prices reflect the value and quality of this model. JBL has had such a demand that they have reissued the L-100's this year. In stores you can now get a new pair for $4,000 dollars. But in the end like a fine wine it does come down to what the listener wants to hear. I would not argue with that statement.:)
I wish for a store like that around here.

Maybe a pair of Klispch Cornwalls, Altec Carmels, AR-3, maybe some older Tannoy Coax, or JBL Harkness? Bozak Symphonies. You might find a pair of Yamaha NS 1000 or 690's in a dark corner some where. I liked B&O 5700's and M-70's. Canton and Celestron made some real sleepers back then that were great speakers. I never liked B&W 801's but really enjoyed 808's, but they are going to be pricey. Now that M&K is Danish may be you can find some American made for next to nothing. The cabinets were all made in the orient. If you are willing to spend some money restoring them Mcintosh ML-2's and XR 7's can be found cheap.

Back
Top Bottom