Internet Radio Stations

Internet radio - Tangent

Hi Folks,

Shortwave seems to be dead - or nearly - I became addicted to the BBC news over the last 40 years - it seems time to switch to the net.

So I took a stab and purchased a "Tangent Quattro" internet radio from C.Crane on he web - cost about $350 US

You need a computer on a high speed conection (DSL, cable etc.) and a wireless router to make it work.

First impressions are reall quite good.

The radio sounds decent on its own however It has a line out stereo signal which sounds really quite good thro' my tube equippment.

I would put the quality of the signal somewhere between my satelite radio and my FM Tuner - actually very close to the tuner - significantly better than the satelite signal I get from the satelite radio.

There are 6000 plus stations on the net now - this radio makes it very easy to tune any - and all of them in - with little hassel.

Basically - pick a country, then pick a genre- ie news, jazz, public, 60's, 70's world, folk etc then pick a station.

For example there are 2400 staions in the USA that this radio recognizes. just about every public broadcast station is available by state.

I think here were 3 stations in Zimbabwe, 2 in Armenia. These stations are all on the net but you would be hard pressed to find them as easily as this radio makes it for you.

Currently I preset some of my six presets to:

KKJZ in Los Angeles (K Jazz),

Putamayo - World, BC - News,

South Africa -Channel Africa - really good music

Maine Public radio - signal is better than on my $1000 FM Tuner and absolutely static free.

Bottom line is the signal is better than satelite it has over 6000 stations and it doesn't cost anything to run it.

all for now

Rick

The radio sounds decent on its own however It has a line out stereo signal which sounds really quite good thro' my tube equippment.

Have you seen prior posts discussing the Roku Soundbridge, and the Slimserver Squeezebox?

Last edited:
I've been trying out a free internet radio program, Nexus Radio.

http://www.nexusradio.com/

They state it has over 6,000 stations and I believe it. There's something of every genre there. I have two personal favorites:

www.sektor 1.de The Legends of Rock Channel
http://80.154.35.61:8020
Classic Rock 256 kbps

MediaMerlin Classic 192
http://204.9.117.194:8300
Classic Rock 192 kbps

I heard a song by the Byrds tonight that I haven't heard in years, "Chestnut Mare."

Once I finish up the music server for the mancave I'm sure Nexus will be installed.

http://www.shoutcast.com

Search bar for anything you want right in the middle, to the right is a drop-down of genre's that can meet anyone's desire, showing server capacity, load, and stream quality. We run it all the time across a gambit of music types at my office, and used at home for parties and such. I couldn't live without it!

William and Mary

I listen to WCWM when I'm riding around town and they're online too. It's a classic college radio station, lots of guitars, noise experiments, bad DJs, and you never know what's coming on next. I recommend it highly if you get tired of classic rock and the same old playlists found on all of the other clearwater stations... WCWM.

Isaac

I listen to WCWM when I'm riding around town and they're online too. It's a classic college radio station, lots of guitars, noise experiments, bad DJs, and you never know what's coming on next. I recommend it highly if you get tired of classic rock and the same old playlists found on all of the other clearwater stations... WCWM.

Isaac

When I click on the "Listen" tab, it automatically launches windows media player, which immediately errors out. The error which is generated is not in the online database. WMP cannot access the audio stream, or the link to the audio stream contains an error.

The web site does not offer the ability to launch any other player. Launching winamp or any other player before starting the stream has no affect.

Last edited:
When I click on the "Listen" tab, it automatically launches windows media player, which immediately errors out. The error which is generated is not in the online database. WMP cannot access the audio stream, or the link to the audio stream contains an error.

The web site does not offer the ability to launch any other player. Launching winamp or any other player before starting the stream has no affect.

Huh, I don't know about all that stuff. I clicked on the link and iTunes started to stream it. I've never used anything but iTunes, I've never had to...

Isaac

Perhaps it depends on your default configurations for handling different types of files. I just entered ther using Firefox as navigator, and it opened a dialog case asking me to choose the program to use to listen to the stream audio.

Hope it helps.

Actually, I use Firefox as my default browser. Maybe I'll try to change some of the media settings and see if I can get it to work. I've tried iTunes, and no luck.

Back
Top Bottom