Internet Radio Stations

i have been listening to pandora for the last 3 hrs and this has to be my favorite internet radio station so far . i typed in porcupine tree , dave matthews , and steely dan and they created a radio station that i will listen to for a long . long time .

Someone mentioned it in another thread somewhere, but www.kcdx.com streams a fantastic mix of commercial free classic rock at 64 Kbps. My current favorite internet radio station, and available on the air from Florence, AZ (in the east valley of Phoenix) at 103.1FM.

From their playlist as of this moment...

6:00 pm - Genesis - Turn It On Again
6:03 pm - Foreigner - Head Games
6:07 pm - Linda Ronstadt - Just One Look
6:10 pm - Bob Seger - mary lou
6:13 pm - The Who - Who Are You
6:18 pm - Billy Joel - Honesty
Playing Now: 6:22 pm - Alan Parsons Project - I Robot

wolfgang vault

thanks for the heads up about this site...awesome...am now listening to a quicksilver messenger service concert from the sixties...had forgotten about them

http://www.dinnerjazzexcursion.com/
http://www.thepenthouse.fm/

These are favorites, but listen to many others, depending on mood. Both stream at 128Kbps, which, IMHO, is better than FM quality.

I use two OmniFi DMS-1 streamers, with the open source firmware. One is modded with an internal Sure Electronics T-amp, driving a pair of Minimus-7's through a Phase Tech passive sub. Also use a Freecom MusicPal internet radio, usually through another T-amp and home made fullrange speakers.

Also stream my CD collection from a $10 epay thin client with an added laptop drive, running FreeNAS, which has MediaTomb server. FreeNAS has CIFS support, so am able to mount the drive remotely from Windows PC, and encode the CDs to it using iTunes. I encode @ 192Kbps VBR.

The Technicolor Web of Sound has already been mentioned. Great late 60's psychedelia includes advertisements from the period. The guy creates his playlists with blocks of ads and the music doesn't repeat for at least a week. Bit rate = 128

Beyond the Beat Generation is one of the best of the 60's stations...lots of really rare local band cuts, demos, and unreleased garage bands...all of it pretty darn good. Late 60's stuff. Pretty much have never heard of any of these bands. Bit rate = 128

KDVS - UC Davis (California) http://www.kdvs.org/listen/

Amazed to find they are now broadcasting @320Kbps, in both mp3 and OGG Vorbis formats. You rockers will no doubt find plenty to listen to, sadly not much for Jazz fans that I can find. I never listen to it on FM because the signal sucks here at home, but I'll be interested to see what Crossing Continents has in about three hours, and that blues show on Sunday nites might be worthwhile...

Shirley & Spinoza Radio Listen to the archive stream for about an hour or so and you should understand the scope of it...lots of found-sound, weird instructional records, messed up remixes, field recordings, ragtime, skits, electronic ambiance, silly and eclectic.

I just set up Pandora this week. On my laptop with the Grado SR60s the music sounds better than FM radio IMHO. Tho I'm having a hard time getting over interrupted music streams when internet or computer resources get a little low.

AVRO Web Radio

Dutch site that has close to a dozen different music stations under one roof. My favorite is the 60's music. 320 kbps, and I've never heard a DJ nor any spoken word for that matter.

TOSS Radio

Another Dutch station that plays a lot of classic rock, but a large variety of other stuff as well depending on the dj. Lower bit rate. What is Toss Radio? "Toss Radio is a non-commercial internet radio station and consists of a group of enthusiastic music lovers.

Completely voluntary basis, with the love for music is the common motive to music that's made to fit a wide audience.

This program is also room for music on commercial radio stations hardly addressed."

BTW- xargos, 320 kbps Zappa Zappateers

Back
Top Bottom