Internet Radio Stations

When people continiue to insist that they should their get music for little or nothing, sooner or later the end result will always be the failure of the service. Running in the red with investment dollars while hoping for furture profitabilty seems to be the MO. I pay $45 per month for music services and I consider it to be worth every penny. I know many that spend that much on coffee in a week.

I’m really not sure how your comment applies here. The issue here is about the demise of countless small independent radio stations that cater to niches and interests that are barely ever heard even on the most cutting edge terrestrial signals. If these radio stations “fail”, it won’t be because of a sketchy business model or "greedy" consumers; it will be at the hand of an oversight on the part of the U.S. Copyright Office.

Business models have everything to do with it, that's not to say these new requirements are fair to these nich stations.

However, If a station is not being underwritten by grants, gathering ad revenue or being member supported it's going to fail because providing free music is not a viable model.

Does the CRB have deadlines/internal rules it has to play by? I don't get how the decision came out a month ago, with still no full ruling.

s.

Business models have everything to do with it, that's not to say these new requirements are fair to these nich stations.

However, If a station is not being underwritten by grants, gathering ad revenue or being member supported it's going to fail because providing free music is not a viable model.

Thanks for adding those qualifiers. As for 0+0=0; Thanks for clearing that up.

Most if not all of the radio stations at risk here do indeed survive on listener donations and/or ad revenue. Using this approach, along with previous royalty structures the past 16 years small webcasters have been making it just fine. Many have been quite successful. This is precisely why your initial comment does not apply or have any relevance to this particular situation.

Again, this issue has nothing to do with listeners being freeloaders or radio station owners having a poor business plan. It’s about being slapped with a govt. mandated 14 fold increase to a bottom line expense. Period.

Does the CRB have deadlines/internal rules it has to play by? I don't get how the decision came out a month ago, with still no full ruling.

s.
The ruling is "full" and binding. The written determination is currently being reviewed by the parties to the proceeding to determine which portions, if any, contain confidential information that must be redacted from the version that will be released to the public. Basically we (the public) hurry up and wait. And since the Small Webcasters were not officially represented at the proceedings, they are considered..part of the general public.

Last edited:
I'm confused, then. If the ruling is "full" at this point, how can there be the possibility of an escape hatch for small webcasters? Also, help me with some history: when this issue came up in the mid/late '00s, my recollection is that small webcasters had more of a voice. What's changed?

s.

Sorry to DP, but Radio Survivor is reporting tonight that Live365 is definitely shutting down at the end of the month. It cites a January 15 email to client broadcasters.

RS notes:

"Even if a new settlement is reached for small internet broadcasters to pay rates closer to 2015 levels, the closure of Live365 means a corner has been turned for American internet radio. It may be some time until becoming an internet radio broadcaster in the United States is again quite as accessible as it was with Live365."

s.

I'm confused, then. If the ruling is "full" at this point, how can there be the possibility of an escape hatch for small webcasters? Also, help me with some history: when this issue came up in the mid/late '00s, my recollection is that small webcasters had more of a voice. What's changed?

s.
It's a fine point legal thing. Since the CRB is "God" then all parties must abide by the language and provisions in the decision written into the Copyright Act.

So the big unknown at this point is whether or not the CRB included a provision for SoundExchange/Record labels and outside parties (small webcasters) to negotiate directly. If not, then it requires an act of Congress. This is how the WSA was accomplished in 2007/2008 via a substantial effort on the part of stations and artists alike. At that point stations were allowed to actually talk legally to SoundExchange and negotiate an amicable rate for Small Webcasters.

This whole mess goes back to 1995-1998. I can PM you some links if you're interested in the full history. Just be prepared for your eyes to blur. LOL

Last edited:
It's a fine point legal thing. Since the CRB is "God" then all parties must abide by the language and provisions in the decision written into the Copyright Act.

So the big unknown at this point is whether or not the CRB included a provision for SoundExchange/Record labels and outside parties (small webcasters) to negotiate directly. If not, then it requires an act of Congress. This is how the WSA was accomplished in 2007/2008 via a substantial effort on the part of stations and artists alike. At that point stations were allowed to actually talk legally to SoundExchange and negotiate an amicable rate for Small Webcasters.

This whole mess goes back to 1995-1998. I can PM you some links if you're interested in the full history. Just be prepared for your eyes to blur. LOL

Please. The reading would do me good. And thank you.

s.

Do the stations make money?

If so, how?
Sure.

Same as (and more ways) any conventional AM/FM radio station:

-Ad affiliates - website and in-stream
-Buy CD/downloads links via iTunes/Amazon/CD Baby/eMusic, etc.
-Listener support via PayPay/Patreon
-Revenue sharing agreements with hosting providers

Anyone who would like to follow and/or support Small Webcasters on this issue please visit radiodiversity.org

Site is just coming out of the ground so sign up for the newsletter for future developments.

My favorite smooth jazz station fm5280.com went off the air on 1/1/16 due to the usury royalty fees bill passed by the Congress with no doubt the aid of lobbyists for Clear Channel and the rest of that ilk. Prior to that it had been on the air for almost 10 straight years commercial free and listener supported. I hope there is an out for microcasters to get back in the game.

My favorite smooth jazz station fm5280.com went off the air on 1/1/16 due to the usury royalty fees bill passed by the Congress with no doubt the aid of lobbyists for Clear Channel and the rest of that ilk. Prior to that it had been on the air for almost 10 straight years commercial free and listener supported. I hope there is an out for microcasters to get back in the game.

Yeah. A lot of stations have packed up their gear, folded their wallets, and gone off the grid. Barring any significant effort with a compromise for independent webcasters going forward more will follow throughout 2016.

A noteworthy bastion of independent free-form radio is now an endangered species —but it can be saved. It’s vital for one and all who value creativity, diversity, and discovery to stay aware and lend support for this effort.

Last edited:
Yeah. A lot of stations have packed up their gear, folded their wallets, and gone off the grid. Barring any significant effort with a compromise for independent webcasters going forward more will follow throughout 2016.

A noteworthy bastion of independent free-form radio is now an endangered species —but it can be saved. It’s vital for one and all who value creativity, diversity, and discovery to stay aware and lend support for this effort.

Thanks for the link. I've signed up for the newsletter and will stay involved.

Back
Top Bottom