Interview with JBL Legend Greg Timbers

Zonker92

All shiny and chrome
Some good stuff here. A few choice comments:
  • “Every now and then I see something that looks cool or refreshing to me, but mostly everything is a rehash of what has gone before and is so covered with marketing hype that I just don't care.”
  • “Dynamics will make or break the loudspeaker system. Live music is dynamic as hell and this is one of the most difficult attributes to reproduce.”
  • “I don't think it is possible to make a truly high fidelity loudspeaker using a single driver or panel.”
  • “Unlike electronics, miniaturization is not a good thing with loudspeakers. There is no substitute for size and horsepower.”
  • “Nothing much has changed with the laws of physics in the last 100 years so what it takes to make dynamic life-like sound is unchanged.”
  • "It is easy to hear the difference between two capacitors of different construction and materials."
  • “The response of many of the old systems was a bit ragged and generally less attention was put in the crossover networks because simplicity generally means higher throughput. However, the big Altecs, JBLs, Klipsches and Tannoys of the day would still fare well today with a little modernization of the enclosures and crossovers.”

I agree with what Mr Timbers has to say. Especially about the size and dynamics of speakers.
He seems like a pretty smart and down to earth guy

With one exception, every indoor speaker I currently own was designed by Mr. Timbers. I really enjoyed reading that interview.

Back
Top Bottom