Into Radio? Spin The Globe

+48V

hi-fi or die
If you're into radio and enjoy twirling your tuner's dial to see "what's out there", then check out Radio Garden. It’s a very cool concept that certainly puts a global spin on the idea of radio as a discovery engine.

In the section Live, you can explore a world or radio as it is happening right now. Tune into any place on the globe with a click: what sounds familiar? What sounds foreign? Where would you like to travel and what sounds like ‘home’?

In the section on History you can tune into clips from throughout radio history that show how radio has tried to cross borders. How have people tried to translate their nations into the airwaves? What did they say to the world? How do they engage in conversation across linguistic and geographical barriers?

Click over to Jingles for a world-wide crash course in station identification. How do stations signal within a fraction of a second what kind of programmes you are likely to hear? How do they project being joyful, trustworthy, or up to the minute?

Then stop and listen to radio Stories where listeners past and present tell how they listen beyond their walls. How do they imagine the voices and sounds from around they globe? How do they use make themselves at home in the world?

Radio Garden incorporates results from the international research project Transnational Radio Encounters directed by Golo Föllmer at Martin-Luther University Halle, in co-operation with the Universities of Copenhagen and Aaurhus in Denmark, London Metropolitan and the University of Sunderland in the UK, and Utrecht University in the Netherlands.

radio-garden.png

NOTE: This site is is fairly resource hungry so it performs best on a rig with a decent CPU with plenty of available RAM.

When it loads it will hone in on your locale by default and begin playing a "local" station. You can mute by clicking the speaker icon top right. To graze the globe, zoom out and twirl the world.

Just plinked in on a run of the mill country station on the 56th parallel north. Fort McMurray, CA--CJOK--

Then a fabulous blues broadcast from Ketchikan, AK --KRBD--

I'm gonna work the coastal areas for awhile.:)

Please share your finds!

Last edited:
NOTE: This site is is fairly resource hungry so it performs best on a rig with a decent CPU with plenty of RAM.

Was working fine on my android tablet yesterday.

NOTE: This site is is fairly resource hungry so it performs best on a rig with a decent CPU with plenty of RAM.

Was working fine on my android tablet yesterday.
Yeah...mileage varies so I thought I'd at least put in a disclaimer.

Back
Top Bottom