Introduction and Speaker Question.

joelongwood

No more room at the inn
Hi guys (and girls),
I just discovered this forum through a link that soemone posted on Head-Fi. I have to say it's an excellent site and brings back many fond memories of my audio learning experience, but I'm afraid it may turn out to be as expensive and as time consuming as my foray into the world of headphones through Head-Fi, a site devoted to the headphone listening experience. In the two years that I've been there, I've accumulated close to 3 dozen headphones and headphone amps..........they're easier to bring in than speakers, tuners, integrateds, power amps, receivers, etc. The closets, basement, garage, and attic are already filled with those. Dynaco, Yamaha, Kenwood, Pioneer, AR, KLH, Thorens, Klipsch........I still have them, even if only a few get used at a time.:D
My question is this........I have a pair of Frazier Black Box IIs which are in need of reconing, as the woofer cone itself is ripped. I've had these since new, but my young nephew began the destruction with a few sharp instruments years ago. I patched it with silicone, but now it's beyond repair. I really don't want to just go to Ratshack and get a cheap replacement woofer, and Frazier, the original company, is no longer in business.
Is it possible to recone a speaker if parts are not available? What are my options. I would really like to restore these things, if for nothing else than nostalgia's sake.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
BTW......after reading about the finds some of you guys get, I let my fingers do the walking and have located a number of thrift shops in the vicinity. Unfortunately, I'm kinda out of room.:D

Joe

Good to have you on board. Sounds like you will fit right in here.

Try these guys. If they cant fix em I don't know who can.
www.circuitshop.com

If you have a original AR receiver, and you sell it to me cheap, I'll talk to the head guys about letting you in the club PERMANENTLY. Don't go thinking you're special, I do this for all the new individuals.

Toasted Almond

Last edited:
Thanks wardsweb and grumpy for the welcome and the info. I'll contact those places ASAP.
Sorry Toasted Almond, I don't have an AR receiver........just quite a few AR speakers, namely the 4X, 3a, and 5 models. Oh, and I have an ARxa TT as well. Always wanted an AR amp or receiver though, but was never able to afford one at the time. Plus, I was pretty happy with my Dyna equipment. I'd love to pick one up now myself.:D

Frazier did not make his own drivers and I believe OEMed them from Utah. If you are not satisfied with what you think the reconers can do for you or the price you might try buying the same size Utahs on Ebay.

I just got off the phone with Jim from Circuit Shop. He quoted me a price of $30 to re-cone each woofer. That's for new paper cones and surrounds. I have no idea about prices for these things....is that good? Because it sounds very reasonable to me. Again, thanks for the help.
Thatch_Ear......I checked eBay and nothing there matches what I need. I checked the speakers themselves, and other than a Frazier sticker on the magnet and a serial number, there is no indication of the manufacturer. But there is a guy on eBay selling some Frazier horn tweeters which appear to match those in my Black Boxes. I may just pick them up as spares. Thanks for your suggestion.

That is a great price in my opinion. Jim and his son to Top notch work. That you can be sure of. If you choose them be sure to mention that you found about about him through audiokarma.

Grumpy

Hello and welcome to the Forum.
I have a pair of Frazier speakers I have been wanting to sell.
The drivers (woofers and tweeters) are in great shape.
I am not exactly sure of the model, they are small bookshelf type speakers.
If I remember right, they say "Dallas" on the drivers.
If these are the same size drivers and you want to replace them with the Frazier's, I will be willing to sell them to you for not much more than you would pay for the re-cone.
if you are interested, just send me a PM.

Joe,

I have the AR Integrated Amp, and XA table myself. Also a pair of AR-9's from the past, not the current AR-9 model. Had AR-5's but gave them to a good buddy.

I spent time living on The Island in the 60's and 70's. Islip, Brentwood, Bohemia (near MacArthur Airport), and Kings Park. The Kings Park and Bohemia locations were co-habitated by Crazy DeeDee the Body Goddess. The good old days.

Toasted Almond

Thanks, Don, but I checked their website and there's nothing current that matches what I'm looking for. :(

Back
Top Bottom