Introduction

Jibe01

Wanted to introduce myself, and say thanks for this great website. I'm from Charlotte, NC. Not in the audio business, but was around electronics all my life with my dad being a TV & audio repairman in the 60's & 70's. Growing up, our house and garage were always full of tubes, components, TV's & audio equipment in various stages of undress & repair. I learned to use a soldering gun when I was still in elementary school.
For years I've been wanting to put together a good audio system, and have been given a few not-really-great components, but decent enough to listen to. What brought me here is that I was recently in a Goodwill store and saw what appeared to be old wood veneered speakers - the tops were not in good shape, and the cloth in front was a bit torn. I turned them around and saw that they were Marantz Imperial 7s, priced at $9.99.
I know, I know - not as good as the Imperial 6's, and built to compete with the JBL 100s.
But I've brought them home & am refurbishing- mid-ranges need re-foaming. I'd never heard of recapping, though I know what a capacitor was. Found out that a co-worker of mine has built stereo components, and he told me about recapping. I came here and have discovered quite a bit of knowledge & community.
Thanks for running a great website!

Back
Top Bottom