Invitation to Listen to the Original B & W Nautilus Speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Mark B, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Mark B

Mark B Yamaha Fan Subscriber

When & Where: 11am Saturday, April 2nd at Echo Audio, 425 SW 10th Avenue Portland Oregon.

Kurt at Echo Audio has extended an open invitation to AK members to listen to a pair of the original B & W Nautilus speakers (these are the speakers shaped like a Nautilus shell). The audition starts at 11 am, which is 1 hour before the Store opens on Saturday.

For anyone unfamiliar with these speakers, they can be viewed on the B & W web site: www.bwspeakers.com

Sorry that I'm not able to post pictures or links to the speakers or to Echo Audio.

The web site for Echo Audio has a map & directions: www.echohifi.com

If you have any questions, please contact Mark B, or dingus.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. dingus

dingus Super Member

yes, of course i'll be there. here's a little taste for ya! and the link to the pic's from Echo Audio in the speaker gallery.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2005
  3. brainsmasher

brainsmasher Mid-Fi Madman

Those were in the only ad that caught my eye in whatever issue of playboy they were featured in but as I remember they ran in the 25k range. Regardless of sound I want a pair of those before I die.

4. Mark B

Mark B Yamaha Fan Subscriber

New from B & W they're 17,500 GBP each. That's about $70K US at the current exchange rate.

5. dingus

dingus Super Member

i thought they were out of production? good to know you can still get your very own pair.

6. Toasted Almond

Toasted Almond R.I.P - November 17, 1952 - April 19, 2016

It's going to make you hate whatever you're listening to now. AT $70k/pair, what's the point in THAT?

7. dingus

dingus Super Member

thats pretty much what elroymcgee said too. since the first time i saw a picture of these i have dreamed of hearing them. i am approaching this as a dream fulfulling listening experience only, i will not be doing any comparisons between them and what i have. will i hate my AR-9's after the fact? i doubt it, but if i do, i will just have to live with it.

8. bolly

bolly Lunatic Member

there's 3 in a row

I'd hate to have to hate my AR9's! :D

9. dingus

dingus Super Member

its not really somthing i'm worried about. i do expect the Nautilus' to blow me away. but when i get home i expect the AR-9's to be as awesome as they have always been. when i first got the AR-9's they put my beloved ADS L-810s to shame, in a pretty big way too. the 810's are now at work and i still love the way they sound. what i hear at home with the AR-9's does not diminish in any way how good the 810's sound at work.

10. brainsmasher

brainsmasher Mid-Fi Madman

Now I am going to have to look through every playboy I have and pleasure myself with the pictures of these again.

11. dingus

dingus Super Member

how long does it take to get from Denver to Portland? you can make it.

12. Nat

Nat AK Subscriber Subscriber

Echo Audio is a wonderful store, and the guys that run it are upstanding -- knowledgeable and honest. With any luck you will see a bunch of other interesting stuff there too. Portland has a lot of great stores of interest to audiophiles -- there is a street whose name, of course eludes me, with several record stores (one that may still have the Design Acoustic dodecahedron speakers in use) and used stereo and pawn shops. Echo Audio is not on that street, but it would be worth making a day or two trip. Nice city with lots of interesting places.
    I live in Connecticut so I don't have an axe to grind. Just enjoyed myself, and had some good dealings with Echo when I was there for a wedding a couple of years ago.

13. joelll

joelll Sansui/Polk/EPI wingnut

Racing snails on speeeeeeeeeeed!!!!

:zoom:

(Sorry, couldn't resist! I wish I could be there to listen!)

14. DaWoofer

DaWoofer Super Member

Them speakers would keep me scared at night, reminds me to much of ALIEN or something like that. Not me. I dont want my speakers giving me nightmares.

15. dingus

dingus Super Member

Mark said something last week about floorstanding Tannoys being there too!

16. bolly

bolly Lunatic Member

dingus.You're k i l l i n' m e! :cry:

17. dingus

dingus Super Member

yeah, one look at your extended sig, plus all the stuff you've brought home lately, and who's killing who? i only get to look and listen for a short time, you get to keep.

18. bolly

bolly Lunatic Member

I have good days. :yes:

19. dingus

dingus Super Member

bump.

i would hate for someone to miss out because they missed this thread.

20. ByrdWyngs

ByrdWyngs Well-Known Member

It's just too bad there's no place to park. I went to Echo last Saturday to check out a pair of Vandersteens they had. It was raining sideways and the only place I could find to park within about 2 blocks of the store was in 15 minute parking just down the street. They did have a lot of cool stuff including the Nautilus speakers which I got to listen to briefly. Unfortunately there were 5 or 6 other guys in the store and one of the 2 guys working was on the phone the whole time I was there. I never got a chance to talk to the other guy and had to leave to move my car. After driving around the block a couple of times unsuccessfully trying to find another place to park I finally gave up and went home empty handed. For those of you that are planning to go tomorrow there is a parking garage about 3 blocks south of the store, I didn't use it last weekend because I didn't want to have to haul the Vandys 3 blocks back to my car in the pouring rain.