1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

iOS 12.0.1 has just been pushed out

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by transmaster, Sep 17, 2018.

1. transmaster

transmaster AK Subscriber Subscriber

looking at the changes, and they are massive. Siri has been hugely updated, Apple Music you can search for songs with lyric stippets, big changes in privacy, etc, etc. with all of these changes can 12.0.1 be far behind. ;)

Please register to disable this ad.

2. transmaster

Oh, tvOS, Apple TV is also updating.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  3. transmaster

Playing with lyric search in Apple Music, this is going to save me most of the trouble of googling lyric to find a song.

4. KrisM

KrisM Lunatic Member

I did the update last night, and haven't spent much time with it. I'm not an AM user(at the moment), so that's not a big deal to me.

I'm digging that measuring tool, though. I could see that getting a lot of use.

5. RamblinE

RamblinE (╯°□°)╯彡┻━┻

So far so good on older devices. I put it on my iPhone SE and iPad Mini Retina last night. It’s running really smooth with no hiccups yet. iOS11 has those early battery drain issues and iOS10 had early signal issues. Nothing here yet with 12.

6. hjames

hjames beware of folks offering Cakes Staff Member Moderator Subscriber

iOS 12 is a 1.43 GB update??
    OMG!
    I'll check from home tonight when I'm on a fat pipe!

I've really been more interested in OSX 10.14 - Mojave

7. transmaster

As I said it is massive, I’ll be updating to a iPhone XS Max in January to take advantage of the AR stuff.

It seems to have improved the battery life on my 7+

8. mgosdin

mgosdin Well-Known Member

It breaks compatibility with O365, which is a hard stop for many businesses. Microsoft says to give them a week to fix it.

Mark Gosdin

9. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Super Member

Yes, just realized I can now ask Siri to open Bluetooth settings. Also, just asking for it to play specific artists feels much faster (on my old 7 plus). Guess I need to try some of the other new features. The Siri shortcuts for my HomePod is intriguing. I look forward to trying that out.

I am considering the update to the Max, as well. I guess the problem is that I am still very happy with the 7 plus, so I will wait and see how I feel after I get a chance to read more reviews. I will be getting the Apple Watch 4 sometime in the next couple of months, though. I have the Original Apple Watch and I love having so much information right on my wrist. It may be part of the reason the new phones aren't as appealing as they used to be. I spend much less time with the phone in hand.

awillia6 likes this.
  10. transmaster

Brand new iPad’s are coming perhaps in October. I very much like my 7+ but in order to take advantage of the AR features I will need an XS. The Max model has a 6.5” screen but is the same physical size as my 7+. The Apple Watch is almost there as soon as they incorporate the non-invasive Glucometer they are working on I will instantly purchase one.

The only decision with the XS Max is 256gig’s or 512gig’s storage.

I really should update my iPad it is now 5 years old and is really getting slow.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  11. awillia6

awillia6 Super Member

If you don't mind my asking, what info do you get from the Apple Watch that you find so attractive? I'm a long-time analog watch wearer, so having something on my wrist feels natural and I'm sure I could transition easily to the new gizmo. So now I'm wondering if the Apple Watch would make any sense for me (cost not a problem). Thoughts?

12. transmaster

I don’t yet have an Apple Watch but I am now sorely tempted because of 2 features the AW 4 has. The fall sensor, and the EKG with diagnostics. Apple in conjunction with medical universities figured out that serious falls have certain characteristics which have been programmed into the sensors on the watch. If it senses such a fall it asks if you are Ok, if no it will ask if you want call for help if yes it calls 911, and your designated emergency contact. If there is no response it call automatically. Same for the EKG. These 2 functions are going to save a lot of lives. It is things like this that keep me in the Apple ecosystem.

13. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Super Member

Besides those things transmaster mentioned, I like the way it monitors my daily activity. The notifications, calendar, reminders, weather, email, etc. It can also control what is playing on the iPhone with Siri or pause it or send the signal to an Airplay device. Very handy :rockon:

I have a nice analog watch that I occasionally pull out for special occasions. However, I could live without it much easier than the Apple Watch.

transmaster likes this.
  14. transmaster

What is going to be interesting is when Apple rolls out remote wireless charging. By Wireless what I mean is when you are within range, presently about 15 feet. Your iPhone, or Apple Watch will be charging it’s battery.

uofmtiger likes this.
  15. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Super Member

I remember Rene Ritchie talking about this over a year ago. I hope it comes out soon. That would be ideal. It would definitely help with sleep tracking for those that want to use that feature, but take the watch off at night.

16. awillia6

awillia6 Super Member

Tesla was right!

GChief and IPADave like this.

17. restorer-john

restorer-john Addicted Member

This will never happen IMO. Nobody will want ridiculous magnetic fields around them in order to offer inductive charging over that sort of range. No different to sleeping on a giant coiled up extension cord or living under 275KV power lines.

Bill Ferris and BruceRPA like this.
  18. awillia6

awillia6 Super Member

Tesla was wrong!

GChief, IPADave and restorer-john like this.
  19. restorer-john

restorer-john Addicted Member

tesla tower.JPG

iPhone wireless charging (by Tesla)...

IPADave, awillia6 and hjames like this.
  20. transmaster

This has just been approved by the FCC. Energous is the outfit Apple is working with.It is developing this technology right now. Interestingly it could be integrated into MESH router technology so the router could also be a far field wireless charger. As for RF radiation fields with a home WiFi system at 2.4 GHz, or 5.0 GHz ??? These remote field charging systems use RF frequencies to transmit the energy which is rectified into electricity with in the device for charging.

http://energous.com/

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018