1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

iOS 12.1 is out

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by transmaster, Oct 30, 2018.

1. transmaster

transmaster AK Subscriber Subscriber

Please register to disable this ad.

2. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Super Member

They also announced some great, but expensive, hardware yesterday. I am trying to hold out on updating my Mac Mini and iPad as long as possible so I can hold onto that kidney just a little longer.:rflmao:

radioactive and RamblinE like this.
  3. transmaster

transmaster AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have the same quandary. This is the model year I update my iPhone, a 7+ The iPhone XS Max for the version I would want is $1400 Dollars!!!!!!! :yikes: My iPad is now 5 years old and is getting really slow. Hmmmm :idea:

4. hjames

hjames dancing madly backwards ... Staff Member Moderator Subscriber

Gonna keep my iPhone 6S+ as long as it continues to work well!
    Got the old (2009) macPro tower on Mojave a month or so back - no complaints there either!

AlTinkster92, awillia6 and RamblinE like this.
  5. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Super Member

I have the 7plus also and was considering updating, but I think I am getting close to the law of diminishing returns when I think about the way I use my phone. The camera is definitely better on the new versions, but it is not enough to justify the $1400 price tag. I looked at the XR, but the loss of that extra lens will be annoying. I am going to try to hold out updating for another year.

I want to see if Photoshop will will work my iPad Pro (9.7). If it does, I will probably go ahead and update my 2010 Mac Mini at that point. If it doesn't, then I will probably get the iPad Pro 12.7 and Pencil and hold off on the Mac Mini update. Apple has always had a reputation for high prices, but this is getting ridiculous. At least with the iPhone, you have payment plans that make it less significant, but paying up to $1899 for an iPad seems a bit crazy.

6. Route 66

Route 66 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'm still using my 6S because I hate to give up the earphone jack. I know I can get and adapter for the Lightning port, but that's such a clunky option.

hjames likes this.

7. KeninDC

KeninDC Speedfreak Jive Subscriber

Just got another Macbook Air. Replaces a Windows 10 computer. The latest Windows 10 upgrades have been troublesome. While I didn't lose any data, it knocked out my Mail clients.

I'm happy with the three Iphone ochos we have. The 6 seems to be slowing down. Planned?

Not impressed with the "dark mode" option on the Mac. Must be for weirdos who don't like natural light and keep the lights off.

8. RamblinE

RamblinE (╯°□°)╯彡┻━┻

Sounds like a great time to drive to Microcenter in Radnor and get an SSD and more RAM for my late 2012 Mac Mini.

9. hjames

If its upgradable - I just checked yesterday and found my Wife's 2013 MaBookPro Retina has 8 Gb of soldered in Ram (!) and a proprietary SSD!
    No upgrades for her!

10. RamblinE

RamblinE (╯°□°)╯彡┻━┻

I bought the last Mac mini that is upgradable on purpose because I knew this day was gonna come and the last thing I wanna do when a desktop computer slows down is buy another desktop computer.

11. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Super Member

Mine is a 2010 and you can update RAM easily, but much harder to change out the hard drive for SSD.

I have read that the RAM on the new Mini is "mostly" user replaceable, but I want to wait for some reviews to see what that means.

12. awillia6

awillia6 Super Member

How ugly is it to apply routine OS patches or to do a full backup/restore after a "cheater" macOS upgrade like yours? I'd love to hit my 2011 MBP and a pair of 2011 iMacs with Mojave if it's not too big a pain. Thanks in advance for any pointers.

13. hjames

Darned if I know - I only researched my MacPro, which, as a tower config, had a huge amount of flexibility.
    Which is why I paid the extra $$ when I bought it, over a laptop, mini or iMac.
    I switched in a better graphics card back in June so it could do Metal, and decided to up memory from 24 to 32 Gigs after the upgrade.
    Oh, and I updated the original Wifi card a year or so back ...

The thread on upgrades and patches is pretty open, but nearly 400 pages deep at this point!
    https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macos-10-14-mojave-on-unsupported-macs-thread.2121473/

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  14. awillia6

awillia6 Super Member

15. RamblinE

RamblinE (╯°□°)╯彡┻━┻

The Mini that’s currently being replaced has the RAM soldered to the board. Which to me was a pretty big hell no.

As for the SSD, I did one on an old MacBook a few years ago, it’s not tough. On the mini you just have to do more digging for it. I can pull up a tutorial step by step with pictures on iFixit.

16. hjames

But - I just checked via Software update in Preferences and this MacPro 4.1 hacked to 5.1 just let me do the update to 10.14.1 - thought it hung so I went and got a sip of scotch - came back 20 mins later and had the login screen - all seems happy! No complaints.

cnolanh likes this.

17. RTally

RTally Speaker addict Subscriber

My iPad2 (6 years old) became unusable with the last iOS update (9.3.5). I did a jailbreak and installed iOS 8.4.1. It took less than 2 hours and I can now use the iPad like a tablet again. Some apps require iOS 9 or 10 to work, but I can live without them. It works well as a music player (Pandora and Plex) even with the older iOS.

18. chicks

chicks Lunatic Member

My work iPad is extremely slow, as well. My Samsung Tab 2, which is about the same age, is still as quick as it ever was, and holds a charge about twice as long as the iPad. I'll never buy Apple phones or tablets.

19. RTally

RTally Speaker addict Subscriber

My experience has been slightly different. My Android devices slow down, not because of OS updates, which are non-existant in most cases, but because of bloat in the apps. I have an HTC that is pretty much unusable. I retired it and was using it as a portable music player. I updated the apps and now it crashes and is barely useable, and that is after completely wiping it and reinstalling a minimal number of apps. I have an even older Samsung smartphone that still performs about the same when used as a music player. Unfortunately, it is so old it is sorely lacking in quality and features. I guess the lesson is that planned obsolescence can strike almost any brand and OS.

+48V likes this.
  20. northpaw

northpaw Active Member

I had a 2011 MacMini and upgraded both the RAM and HDD and also added an internal SSD (OWC's Disc Doubler). The disc swaps were a bit involved, with nearly all the internals needing to be disconnected and pulled, but not too bad in terms of actual skill levels needed, and good video guides are available. Ultimately, the 2011 MacMini died in 2016; only piece of Mac gear that ever crapped out on me, but I did drive the little thing very hard for over 4 years.

Replaced it with a Late 2014 model (latest one until a few days ago), which is not as upgradable (until recently, perhaps). But I did repurpose the SSD I pulled from the dead 2011 unit by placing it in an external USB3 enclosure and setting it up as the boot drive. I works very well there, with very fast boots and performance, so I consider it a reasonable upgrade path. The visual minimalism of the MacMini takes a hit with the extra hardware hanging off it, of course, but I have the thing stuck under the desk anyway.