iOS "test equipment" apps

RMbA

I wonder if anyone is using iOS (iPad, iPhone, etc.) apps for signal generator and scope functions in aligning and troubleshooting their tape decks.

Are they useful, a waste of time and money, something in between?

After more than a 50-year hiatus from hands-on work with electronics, my interest has been "recharged" by the necessity to deal with some new-old recorders I've acquired and plan to acquire. So, I neither own any test equipment, beyond a multimeter, nor am I in a position to begin buying it in my old age.

That's not answering the OP question. I'm also interested in relevant replies.

I suppose what I should also have said in my original post was that I'm only looking to do the simplest of testing—inject an audio signal on the front end (of whatever) and see what comes out the back end.

I'm wondering if I can get beyond servicing tape transports to troubleshooting the electronics in my tape decks.

And, yeah, it would be great to be able to afford and still have the know-how to use top-flight test equipment. I envy the folks online who have the expertise and equipment, and of course the giving-character to share what they have with others.

As far as accuracy goes, I use a SPL meter on my iPhone and have checked the results against a professional calibrated machine. The iPhone app is spot on. I have no experience in using iOS devices for anything beyond that, but my hunch is that you could expect a fair degree of accuracy.

I wouldn't normally do this, but since you are looking for very specific information, I'll suggest asking the question on:

http://www.iphoneforums.net/find-new/8988292/posts

There are some well informed people on there who may be able to answer your iOS-specific question in some detail.

As far as accuracy goes, I use a SPL meter on my iPhone and have checked the results against a professional calibrated machine. The iPhone app is spot on. I have no experience in using iOS devices for anything beyond that, but my hunch is that you could expect a fair degree of accuracy.

I wouldn't normally do this, but since you are looking for very specific information, I'll suggest asking the question on:

http://www.iphoneforums.net/find-new/8988292/posts

There are some well informed people on there who may be able to answer your iOS-specific question in some detail.

Much appreciated—I'll try it.

SPL, on an iPhone, yes. But for aligning a tape machine, you need a VTVM, good oscilloscope, proper test tapes (for open reel, MRL is best), SPL is not relevant to aligning a tape machine.

SPL, on an iPhone, yes. But for aligning a tape machine, you need a VTVM, good oscilloscope, proper test tapes (for open reel, MRL is best), SPL is not relevant to aligning a tape machine.

The question becomes "Is there an app for that?" I don't know, which is why I suggested an alternative place to look for the information, where someone MAY have the relevant information. I didn't think my comment indicated that I thought SPL had anything to do with tape alignment. I was simply to indicate that an iPhone CAN be an accurate measuring tool, not that it has any application here. The forum I mentioned has had its share of musicians and equipment experts. One of their mods has a houseful of tape decks and other equipment. If anyone has any idea, he probably does.

Back
Top Bottom