IP phones?

I gather you mean a voice over IP (VOIP) home phone? They're somewhat common here in Canada, with the cable carriers trying to expand their market base. One disadvantage I can see is that the "black box" VOIP interface between the incoming cable system and the home phone relies on 120VAC supply in the house. If you lose that, you'll have about 8 hours of phone service until the internal battery dies, according to a friend of mine who has one. Tradidtional land lines are powered by the telco.

Works fine. Ran one for a few years, and my folks have had one for the last few years.

Last edited:
VoIP? Ages ago (like 13-14 years ago) I used to use Vonage. It was OK, but I got into two billing arguments with them on two separate runs with them, and never returned. I don't even know if they are around anymore. Others have come and gone, and the cable companies these days who offer phone and Internet are essentially running VoIP for their phone service. Skype, too, can act as a VoIP provider, as you can get a telephone number through them.

I have used a Google Voice number for many years, getting a free number back when it first came out. I have used that as my main number, primarily through my phone, using the Hangouts Dialer for now. It is essentially VoIP. There is now an adapter you can buy, which connects to your Internet connection and lets you use Google Voice over standard telephone wiring in your home or office, so you can use telephones or a fax machine. Aside from the $45-$60 for a 1- or 2-port adapter, Voice is free to use in the US and Canada. Overseas calls require a per minute fee. Call quality has improved over the years--I rarely make calls but the few I've made (even while away from home) have worked well.

Are you looking at a business phone system?

I work for a company that installs and services them, they are very nice. If you move to a different office you take your phone with you and just plug it back in.

Are you looking at a business phone system?

I work for a company that installs and services them, they are very nice. If you move to a different office you take your phone with you and just plug it back in.

I'm not real sure what he wants. PM me your contact info (if you don't mind.) and I'll pass it along and let him ask what he wants to know about.

A lot of times when I use VOIP from some application, it produces an echo on one side or the other (with both earbuds or speakers). Pretty much the reason I don't use it.

Thanks everyone.

Anybody else?

My boss was asking.
if this is for work, the pbx is dead dead dead, since a larger business pays for its own network and edge routers...voip removes the in house telecom issues and expense.

that being said, companies charge businesses MORE for any service that a biz might use less of. a voip system will let him put his call volume on the network of his (undoubtedly) mroe expensive internet service. might as well get value for the $$

I managed numerous VoIP systems for my companies clients before I retired. Once the internal equipment was configured (servers\switches\routers) the management and deployment of phones was a breeze. If I ever had a problem with a phone, I could determine in a minute or less if it was an in-house or service provider issue and take action to resolve it.

Back
Top Bottom