IPE, Has anyone done a deck/porch with it?

spartanmanor

Lunatic Member
I am getting ready to place my order and have read a lot of the pros and cons on the web. We are going to replace the decking on our front porch which was done just a few years ago by an idiot who used untreated soft pine that has now begun to rot. Ipe has a expected lifespan of up to 100 years. The downside is it needs to be sealed once a year to keep the nice wood look.

Never used IPE but how about seal all of it with Spar Varnish before you put it down? Should last a lot longer. Heck that stuff lasts on boats for years. Still on my trailer decking after 10 years and this will be the first time I have to re-do it.

I think the problem with IPE is that it is so dense that it cannot absorb a lot of the finish. I do know that the more you seal it the longer the seal last. So maybe you do it once or twice a year for the first couple of years then it drops off after that.

Here is a photo of a deck in the material:
262228316_d77ae8a116.jpg

Well I placed my order. The stuff is not cheap but if it last a lifetime and I don't have to re-deck the porch it is well worth it. I should have my wood by Tuesday.

Well I placed my order. The stuff is not cheap but if it last a lifetime and I don't have to re-deck the porch it is well worth it. I should have my wood by Tuesday.
.....Spartanmanor, if your end result looks anything like that picture, you'll have beauty along with durability....good decision, imo....

I live in the Pacific Northwest, and installed a 12' x20' deck about four years ago with IPE. It is hard and durable. I predrilled and precounter sunk all screw holes. Make sure you keep proper spacing between each plank. I used the Messmers sealer as recomended and sealed the ends with lumber wax. The lumber will oxidize and look like Teak that has been in the weather, it will not keep its rich color.
When I did a second seal, it took almost 24 hours for the sealer to flash off.
Good luck, take your time and you should have many years of enjoyment.

Should make an awesome looking n lasting deck.
We've been using it in boat restorations.

Long lengths of Teak are hard to find
and outrageously spensive.

Ipe has been a great substitute and
looks great when finished off.

Stiff /dense wood so steaming is a must
to get good curves in it for caprails n such.
Splinters otherwise.
Shouldn't be an issue with a deck.

Keep us posted on your project?

Wow.... that's pretty spooky that you posted when you did. We have a partially finished deck awaiting decking and I was just scoping it out today when mowing the grass (..er...weeds).

My wife was hot on IPE for awhile. The long life would be desirable. Did you purchase your lumber with the pre-grooved edges? Are you planning on using one of the hidden fastener systems? And do you have all your carbide tools lined up to do the work ?

Can't say I'm looking forward to the task at this end.... the financial strain being only one aspect.

Oh.... and my wife changed my mind. Now she wants Jatoba (Brazilian Cherry). Same aches and pains apply as with IPE.

Let us know how your project progresses.

My wife's uncle did a large deck in ipe, and he went whole hog on the thing. He said they burned through a lot of blades and bits working with the stuff, but the end result is gorgeous!

All screws were sent up from underneath, leaving little purchase for rainwater on top.

Just a quick FYI but I have heard terrible things about Trex from home depot. Where did you order this stuff from?

He said they burned through a lot of blades and bits working with the stuff, but the end result is gorgeous!

Yeah, that's why carbide tools (drills and carbide tipped saw blades) are pretty much mandatory... you're spinning your wheels otherwise.

Did you purchase your lumber with the pre-grooved edges? Are you planning on using one of the hidden fastener systems? And do you have all your carbide tools lined up to do the work ?

Let us know how your project progresses.

I am going to use the hidden fastner system. I did not buy the pre-grooved as I own a biscuit jointer which will do the job.

Just a quick FYI but I have heard terrible things about Trex from home depot. Where did you order this stuff from?
I purchased the wood from ipedepot. it is not Trex but Ipe which is wood not a composite.

Well I finished the deck up this weekend. Here are a couple of photos:

Attachments

• deck2.jpg
    deck2.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 22
  • deck1.jpg
    deck1.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 22
Damn David.. that looks pretty freakin nice.. What a change in looks... beautiful, and looks like you did a hell of a great job... Next the steps huh....

Yes the steps are going to have to be jack hammered out and new ones put in place. I think I am going to do them in the IPE as well to match it all up.

Just put a sign up around the hood... Swing the sledge for a buck.. let all the neighdorhood kids take their frustrations out on the steps for you, and make a buck while you're at it.. ;)

Those will look really nice in that IPE..

Back
Top Bottom