iPhone 7 dumping the 3.5mm phone plug??? Maybe a good thing.

I just wanna thank @transmaster for being another voice of reason here on AK. I understand not everyone loves apple as much as I do... But a lot of the venom being spit about this around the forums makes me feel like 90% of AKers must still use a flip phone.

Don't like it. Don't buy it. I kinda doubt the haters will shell out $600+ for a phone anyway. That money could be used toward a hell of an upgrade to their SX-650 receivers.

- Woody

That's funny.

I use a flip phone; it's a capable enough device for, you know, phone calls. On the web I use an I pad. I no longer need a PC of any type.

Last edited:
It'll never replace my tubes, magnepans or Von Schweikerts - frankly, its not supposed to!
But my iPhone is handy for carrying a good chunk of music I can play at my desk or in the car!

Thanks for the link. It sounds like they send out everything in AAC format, so I am wondering if they down-rez ALAC?

"It’s great-sounding music, movies, and more to your ears. AirPods provide rich, high-quality AAC audio"

Most of the new tech is backward compatible via adapters. Not sure if they can still run floppy discs, but I am sure someone was pissed off when they switched to compact discs. Yes, they got rid of USB 2 when USB3 came along. It is called removing old tech for new and faster tech. USB 3 ports are backward compatible.

The Macs that have thunderbolt are backward compatible with everything above via an adapter. This makes it possible for pros with desktop computers to still have the ability to run older technology. Obviously, Apple isn't going to make computers with floppy discs and every other obsolete technology or your laptop would weigh ten pounds.

Thunderbolt 3 (via compatible USB-C ports) will be compatible with older Thunderbolt versions via adapters, as well, according to Intel.

If you don't care about new and better technology, I am not sure which brand would really suit you. They all are moving ahead and leaving behind USB 2 (as an example). Maybe just hold onto that old computer if you prefer the outdated ports or get an adapter?

As with every Apple thread, there is always a rant that takes it off the main subject. Personally, I think they removed the headphone jack this year so that they would have more room in the case when they decide to remove the bezels (there are already rumors of that happening next year). Their philosophy is that most people prefer slim lightweight mobile tech and if one port can eliminate another port (which gives them more room in the case) while still giving you access to the old function via an adapter, then it can be removed.

It is kind of like battery power in the iPhone. If it weighed 2 pounds, we could get through a lot longer without a charge. However, most people don't need it. Therefore, there are battery power banks and battery cases for those that do.

Oh yes please I love adapters!
http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-page/is-apple-making-life-hard-for-pro-tools-users
This one link tells the story from a creative pro users point of view.
And damn right I want backwards computability when I have over $15 invested in what Apple just made useless.

PQ

But my iPhone is handy for carrying a good chunk of music I can play at my desk or in the car!

Since I bought my mighty 1 liter Ecoboost Fiesta I no longer listen to music in the car, just the howl of 3 turbo charged cylinders. ;-)

The 1/4 in phone plug was invented in 1878. The 1/8 inch (3.5mm) plug was developed by Sony in 1964 and was first put into the EFM-117J FM/SW/MW Radio.

ce3cc35d9a19e8df20e185fe6dab6fa4.jpg

Since the history of the this particular audio jack is in discussion here...

The first transistor radio that I had was a Regency TR-1 that came out in 1954, had a 1/8 inch earphone earphone jack, although the very first production units did not IIRC. The Sams PhotoFacts service manual for this (1955 version) shows it with the earphone jack. This may not have been the first use of this type of connector.

I had an Emerson model Pioneer 888 in 1958 that had a 1/8 inch earphone jack and a Realtone TR-970 in 1960 that had a 1/8 inch earphone jack and a small portable reel to reel tape recorder in 1961 that had 1/8 inch jacks for the earphone and the microphone.

BTW, here is a picture of the TR-1. Note the earphone jack. It is only 2 conductor of course. A nd the TR-1 was very high tech for its time. A small, light weight AM radio that worked okay and was the for runner of things to come in hand held devices.

Regency TR-1 Transistor Radio.JPG

The leather carrying case for this radio had a pouch on the back for the storage of the earphone.

That is all the new Iphone needs for the adapter and your small wireless ear buds, if that is what you choose to use. Old meets new.:D:D

The members of AK are a small subset of all the people in world that use cell phones and a small subset of all the people in the world that listen to music. Business usually follows the numbers. How many people that may purchase this new cell phone care about sound quality the way members of AK do?

I was born before the transistor was invented. I remember when the actual interaction with and operation of a device was exciting. Now we have very, very sophisticated devices that we perceive as basic appliances. This is the way most people view a smart phone, and going towards removing all external connections is just another step, good or bad depending on your perspective, other issues that one might have with Apple not withstanding.

The date didn't seem right when I typed it. Turns out the Sony was the First with 3 pole, Stereo 1/8 inch plug. The 3/32 2.5 mm must must have come out about the same time because the Zenith Transoceanic Royal 3000-1 used one for external power.

The 1/4 in phone plug was invented in 1878. The 1/8 inch (3.5mm) plug was developed by Sony in 1964 and was first put into the EFM-117J FM/SW/MW Radio.

ce3cc35d9a19e8df20e185fe6dab6fa4.jpg
Great info!
Thanks!
If it’s not broke, works great and universally excepted..
That’s Apples motivation to change it!
PQ

I've added some pictures of what it basically entails... It's not a big deal.

They are not removing the internal DAC, they are just removing a headphone jack. They are including the adapter for anyone not willing to play ball. Headphone manufactures will be all over this... there will be TONS of options out there, because it's apple and they will sell millions and millions of these phones in the first month.

And you have to realize that probably something like 98% of iPhone users use the supplied headphones, I know gobs of my non-audio friends do. Apple is including wired, lightning earpods with the phone just as they have always done.

- Woody

View attachment 786430
View attachment 786431
View attachment 786432
View attachment 786433

So how do I listen to my headphones or plug in to my car stereos 1/8 aux input when my phone is charging now?
Oh I can’t do that anymore?
Wow that is a great improvement!

I guess I’ll just have to buy a new car stereo that has apple play and some of those new lighting headphones that they want me to buy..Heck maybe I should get a new car that is compatible with my new iphone

Keep drinking that Apple Kool Aid!
PQ

Last edited:
So how do I listen to headphones when my phone is charging?
Oh I can’t do that anymore?
Wow that is a great improvement!
PQ

There are a lot of people who are asking the same question. In my case I have a good set of Bluetooth earsets I listen with. While I prefer the sound of my 3,5mm Shure's I am getting increasingly exasperated to be directly wired to my iPhone. So the fact the iPhone 7 does not have a 1/8th inch phone jack bother me in the least. The only thing I am waiting for to get the iPhone 7 is the availability of an Otterbox Defender case to put it in.

There are a lot of people who are asking the same question. In my case I have a good set of Bluetooth earsets I listen with. While I prefer the sound of my 3,5mm Shure's I am getting increasingly exasperated to be directly wired to my iPhone. So the fact the iPhone 7 does not have a 1/8th inch phone jack bother me in the least. The only thing I am waiting for to get the iPhone 7 is the availability of an Otterbox Defender case to put it in.

Yep because nothing makes your new iphone sleeker than an new Otter Box Defender Case LOL!
Yes I keep my iphone 6 is in an Otter Box defender case too.

I opened that pretty withe Apple box admired the new large screen and how sleek the iphone 6 design was as I snapped it in side the plastic & rubber otter box.
So much for sleek design aesthetic….Practical & durability wins! LOL!

Actually I have far more music on my old 160 gb ipod classic than on my new phone anyway so I’ll just go back to listening to my old ipod Classic.
With it’s bulky old 30pin connector plugged in to the cigarette lighter on the bottom & 1/8 jack plugged in to the aux in on my car stereo.
They are MP3’s anyway so how good is going to sound?
Just spent $30 putting a new battery in it.. Good as new & no otter box needed for the past a decade.
Man Apple used to make some great stuff!

PQ

It has always puts a smile on my face. Apple is always bragging about thinner, and thinner and how beautiful the iPhone is. So what do we do we plunk them inside a case to protect them. My iPhone 6+ as been naked in my hand 4 times since I purchased it March of 2015. In the Verizon store just before it when into it's Defender case, 2 times pulling it out to clean the wipe is down and clean. the case, Finally to replace the case which saved the iPhone from utter destruction. I am not going to subject a $959 dollar piece of electronics to the outside world. I did install a Black Ice Gorilla glass protective cover on the iPhone's screen to protect it from scratches you can't even tell it is there. There are a number of reasons for me to upgrade. 40% more powerful CPU, the most power GPU ever put in a smart phone. The best camera ever put in a smart phone and the biggest thing the efficiency of the innards on the iPhone 7 gives is 20% better battery life, which works out to 2 more hours of battery life over the 6S.

Just learned the Otterbox Defender case for the iPhone 7 will be available the 23rd of the September. Need to check on the Black Ice screen protector.

I had a partial case on my iPhone 6S plus - wraps around the sides and back to prevent damage if dropped. When it was less than 6 months old - I was sitting in my easy chair, music playing via the Jolida and Von Schweikerts ...
The Jolida has this massive hefty metal remote for Mute, vol Up/Down Power and on/Off.
I use the remote App on my iPhone to select and play the lossless files throught the system ...
Anyway - I reach for the Jolida remote - it slips, and in slowmo I see it fall down one shelf and the corner hits the glass front of the phone,
shattering it into a million shards ...!!!! I used it for a while like that - everything worked, but all those cracks made it hard to read in bright sunlight ...
After I had the glass replaced I got a leather case from Amazon that folds over the glass like a hardbound book ...

Sure - its so nice and sleek outside the case - but know what you mean, I feel better WITH the case, for sure!

I had the base iPhone 4S model before - I tend to keep them 3 year or so ...

It has always puts a smile on my face. Apple is always bragging about thinner, and thinner and how beautiful the iPhone is. So what do we do we plunk them inside a case to protect them. My iPhone 6+ as been naked in my hand 4 times since I purchased it March of 2015.
There are a number of reasons for me to upgrade. 40% more powerful CPU, the most power GPU ever put in a smart phone. The best camera ever put in a smart phone and the biggest thing the efficiency of the innards on the iPhone 7 gives is 20% better battery life, which works out to 2 more hours of battery life over the 6S.

The first iPhone I ever damaged was my current 6. I had it in a covered "wallet" case when it fell from my hand to a parking lot surface from just at pant-pocket height. I watched it land on a corner, flip the cover open, and watched as a crack spread from one of the plastic corners of the case across the whole screen, even with a screen-protector in-place. It was a serendipitous impact where the corner of the case that secured the phone was pushed into the corner of the phone and rather than protecting the phone actually damaged the phone along with the asphalt impact.

I had the Apple Store replace the screen and, on the advice of a friend who's a Mac Concierge in Manhattan, purchased a Tech21 wallet case with D30 Impactology protection, a phase-changing material which hardens on impact to dissipate the force of the impact. I had to get mine from Amazon at the time but I see Best Buy now carries some of their line though I was disappointed to find they do not make a wallet-style case for my wife's new iPhone SE (now two-days old having replaced her 4S running ios 6!). I would heartily recommend the Tech21 case for all you iPhone 7 purchasers. They already have the covered wallet version available. You can't beat the protection it offers and it's a lot less clumsy than anything from Otterbox, including the "commuter" models.

RFE5338CY_2.jpg

The first iPhone I ever damaged was my current 6. I had it in a covered "wallet" case when it fell from my hand to a parking lot surface from just at pant-pocket height. I watched it land on a corner, flip the cover open, and watched as a crack spread from one of the plastic corners of the case across the whole screen, even with a screen-protector in-place. It was a serendipitous impact where the corner of the case that secured the phone was pushed into the corner of the phone and rather than protecting the phone actually damaged the phone along with the asphalt impact.

I had the Apple Store replace the screen and, on the advice of a friend who's a Mac Concierge in Manhattan, purchased a Tech21 wallet case with D30 Impactology protection, a phase-changing material which hardens on impact to dissipate the force of the impact. I had to get mine from Amazon at the time but I see Best Buy now carries some of their line though I was disappointed to find they do not make a wallet-style case for my wife's new iPhone SE (now two-days old having replaced her 4S running ios 6!). I would heartily recommend the Tech21 case for all you iPhone 7 purchasers. They already have the covered wallet version available. You can't beat the protection it offers and it's a lot less clumsy than anything from Otterbox, including the "commuter" models.

RFE5338CY_2.jpg
One of my coworkers raps the corner of his Note 5 + Tech 21 case on the desk at work when trying to sell them to customers. To his credit, he still hasn't cracked it yet even though that amounts to daily abuse.

I use the Defender on my SE and a Pure Gear Tempered Glass screen protector. The Defender isn't too awkward on the SE because it's already pretty small. A Tech 21 case plus a tempered glass protector would do the phone justice and keep it slimed still.

My daughter has been using this case on her SE since the phone was introduced, and my wife likes it. So for just over $3 on Monoprice, that's what I've ordered for her. Worked well on my iPhone 5 for several years.

97811.jpg

Interesting it turns out Apple is not the only smart phone manufacturer to dump the 3.5mm phone jack not even the first one. Motorola, and several other phones sold in China no longer have one. The main reason is the physical size of the jack it takes up too much space inside the case and it cannot be miniaturized.

Back
Top Bottom