iPhone 7 dumping the 3.5mm phone plug??? Maybe a good thing.

^^^ Yes, but we need something to hate about Apple.:D

So true.

They talked about the 3.5mm jack on "The New Screen Savers" this last Saturday. I was not aware that Apple was not the first to decide to dump the 3.5mm just the most predominate. Of course the other smart phones use the USB "C" plug. Getting rid of the jack makes for more room for a battery and as in the iPhone 7 makes for much better internal speakers especially in the 7+. I have no doubt that Anker my go to brand for Lightning cables will soon be out with an lighting to 3.5mm adapter. I honestly think that what is going to happen is a future iPhone is not going have any external hard inputs at all, wireless charging and wireless headphones.

For those of you who are wondering about charging and listening at the same time look at this, a double lightning dongle:

hero.372.372.jpg

Last edited:
That dongle does not have a headphone jack.

That video making fun of Apple actually struck a chord with me. At this point, I will need to add a Bluetooth receiver to my car and then figure out how to power it.

The funny thing about Apple is they do stuff like this: give us solutions to issues consumers really did not ask for. Nobody ever asked me to trade battery life in exchange for the headphone jack. (I do like the added waterproofiness if that is in fact what we get.)

Oh well... technology marches on.

I know but you can plug the lightning adapter into it for the head phone. The is going to remind me of the things I have to do with some of my antique test equipment to adapt them to modern probes. an adapter to adapt an adapter to adapt a probe. ;)

That dongle does not have a headphone jack.

That video making fun of Apple actually struck a chord with me. At this point, I will need to add a Bluetooth receiver to my car and then figure out how to power it.

The funny thing about Apple is they do stuff like this: give us solutions to issues consumers really did not ask for. Nobody ever asked me to trade battery life in exchange for the headphone jack. (I do like the added waterproofiness if that is in fact what we get.)

Oh well... technology marches on.
The new cameras are larger and they added stabilization to the 7 ( they didn't have it in the 6). They also added some force touch like mechanisms in the touchID ( if what I have heard is true). Lots of new and bigger stuff in these new phones, so they made the choice to dump something that could easily be put outside the phone that really isn't going to be a big deal for most people. Most people I see around town are using the white earbuds. Most others have one pair of favorite of portable headphones and they can just add the adapter and forgot about it.

As you mentioned, it will be more of an issue for cars that don't have Bluetooth or a USB to lightning port. My girlfriend car only has an aux, but I am going to use something called ClipR that is battery powered Bluetooth, but can be charged via the lighter port, that you can use with aux out. I bought one for using my headphones while on the treadmill years ago, but they still sell them.

I like Apple....but don't understand the "thin" craze they are on.....

Why so thin? Why so fragile? Why a screen that is prone to break...?
Same thing with their iMacs....and laptops....

Laptops, i can kinda understand...for portability. Don't want to go back to Lunch Box "luggables..."

Why not make a rugged iphone?

I'm so rough on things.....I need something tougher.

So true.
They talked about the 3.5mm jack on "The New Screen Savers" this last Saturday. I was not aware that Apple was not the first to decide to dump the 3.5mm just the most predominate. Of course the other smart phones use the USB "C" plug. Getting rid of the jack makes for more room for a battery and as in the iPhone 7 makes for much better internal speakers especially in the 7+. I have no doubt that Anker my go to brand for Lightning cables will soon be out with an lighting to 3.5mm adapter. I honestly think that what is going to happen is a future iPhone is not going have any external hard inputs at all, wireless charging and wireless headphones.

For those of you who are wondering about charging and listening at the same time look at this, a double lightning dongle:

Oh boy a double lighting dongel wow very sleek!
Yep I bet the new bigger stereo speakers in the iphone 7 will be amazing!
Anyone want my old JBL 4311B’s?
Don’t need them no more because the speakers in the new iphone are so much better now! LOL!
Apple marketing improved stereo speakers..
Why that just makes me giggle like a 13 yo standing inline at the Apple store waiting to buy the next new Apple must have!
PQ
PS Don’t worry the 1/8 in jack will be available again by popular demand on select iphone 7s models for an extra charge..just like the smaller screen on iphone 6s.
Who wants a iphone 7s “Classic”?..Anyone?

Last edited:
I like Apple....but don't understand the "thin" craze they are on.....

Why so thin? Why so fragile? Why a screen that is prone to break...?
Same thing with their iMacs....and laptops....

Laptops, i can kinda understand...for portability. Don't want to go back to Lunch Box "luggables..."

Why not make a rugged iphone?

I'm so rough on things.....I need something tougher.
You don't have to put a laptop in your pocket and carry it with you all the time. I personally think a lighter phone has many more advantages than a light laptop for most people.

As for the huge rugged phone idea. Put a case on your sleek phone and you are good to go. If they put that type of ruggedness in the phone, it would not be removable like a case.

All that being said, the new phone is no slimmer or lighter than the old phones. It simply has more stuff inside it.

Blood in the waters ... ahhhhh ... blood ...

I received my phone today, I normally upgrade on a 2 year cycle, I've had an iPhone 6 Plus 128 gig this last cycle, before that an LG G3 android phone 32 gig. This time I opted for a iPhone 7 Plus 256 gig. The LG was great, better camera then the 6 Plus but its limiting factor for audio nut was the limited storage and at that time Tidal's HF option wasn't an option with the android so that had to go, The camera is awesome.

I won't debate the pros & cons of lossless streaming or Hi-Rez content and if anyone can tell the difference , as for me, simply knowing I'm listening to anything but full or high resolution ruins it for me. as I got more into lossless streaming I found I preferred to use Tidal's download option for offline enjoyment and that means storage and lots of it.

I've transitioned to the point that most mobile listening, say 85% is via an iFi Nano dsd dac/ headphone amp and a set of Sennheiser Urbanite's (wired) so the loss of the headphone jack was a non-issue for me. For this mini review how ever I'm just going to comment on the use of the supplied adapter and some alac content. I didn't detect an improvement or a loss of quality. Listening to some of Holly Cole's Temptation , Norah Jones Come Away With Me, David Elias Vision of Her and Amber Rubarth's Sessions from the 17th Ward were all thoroughly enjoyable. I'd honestly prefer my mobile dac but I don't see the required use of the lightening to 3.5 adapter as a big deal for me, any loss of fidelity measured is certainly undetectable to my ears.

I will note I assumed the area where the 3.5 output was on the prior phone was where the second speaker was placed for the phones stereo speakers, it is not, the stereo comes from the one existing speaker on the right when looking at the phone and the ear piece speaker, music without headphones is outputted in stereo in that manner. What looks like a speaker grill where the 3.5 plug was is for looks only, the room freed up in that area is used by the new taptic engine home button.

I will say I was hoping the new stereo speaker function would improve and increase speaker phone volume (an issue for me a work in noisy work areas ,machines in mechanical rooms) it is improved, normal phone earpiece volume (non speaker) is louder to if needed. That's good for that specific work application, bad news about the speaker phone if someone out in public decides to not have good manners.

All in all, very nice device, not the second coming but a great device and the 256 gig storage is just what the doctor ordered.

I have been listening to my FLAC music content on my iPhone 6+ Using the adapter and I am very pleased the sound it is improved over what I was hearing out of the 3.5mm jack into my Shure SE215 earphones. The only issue I have is how apparently fragile this adapter is. Your observation on the storage capacity match my 6+ I have the 128 GB model and the FLAC files I have loaded take up a lot of space.

One thing I really like about the new 7's in regards to removing the headphone jack is I have discovered that when I do use the phone in the car hooked into the car's audio system and the phone rings and I can accept that call and talk without removing the lightning adaptor to talk on the speaker phone, music restarts at the end of the call. Already 50 gigs of offline music loaded on the phone, loving the storage. Battery lasts a long time so being unable to charge and listen at the same time has been a non-issue, Apple has a winner on it's hands IMO.

Other then they seem a bit fragile I am very pleased with the one I have, great sound . I have just ordered 3 more of them so I have one with each of my Head/earphone and one to use with the FiiO E17K Alpen 2 DAC/phone amp.

Try navigating with your iPhone as well. I am curious how it work out for you.

I have been slowing been converting from a stand alone gps to an iPhone for navigating.

I see this as a potential issue with the jackless iPhone. How do I power the phone (it is supposed to work better when navigating with power connected, plus it does suck up battery power) and listen to music at the same time?

Don't get me wrong, I am not against the iPhone 7, I just want to figure out how to make it work for me.

The GPS is wonderful. There are a number of app's that make great use of the the iPhone 6's GPS, and it's built in barometer, The GPS functions does eat up the battery big time.what you do is get an Anker PowerCore portable charger. I have a PowerCore 13,000 it has the capacity to recharge my iPhone 6+ 5 times and I have verified this, it will charge up my iPad once. It is a 13000 mAh battery pack that uses 4 18650 Panasonic Lithium-ion batteries which are considered the best such batteries made. It has what Anker calls the PowerIQ chip that prevents overcharging both the PowerCore battery pack, and communicates with the lightning cable for full power recharging of an iOS device with out any danger of overcharging if there is a problem with the Apple devices battery. As for headphones. This same battery will quickly recharge a Bluetooth earsets, The Senso earsets I have this battery recharges them completely in about 45 min' for about 8 hours of use.

A1215011_TD04.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, but how does one use gps and audio at the same time while keeping the iphone fully powered for optimal usage?

My car has a 12 volt outlet that I can get power from. Why would I need an external battery pack?

Yes, but how does one use gps and audio at the same time while keeping the iphone fully powered for optimal usage?

My car has a 12 volt outlet that I can get power from. Why would I need an external battery pack?

Sounds like you need one of those Lightning splitter/"Y" adapter things. $50 more now, to do what you could before with no extras.

Edit: Or, maybe, if the phone and your vehicle are capable, BT the audio to the vehicle audio system. That would, in theory, leave the Lightning port open for the charger.

Last edited:
I miss my Nokia 5165. Camera ? Nope. Text? Sure, if you had an hour to kill. Games? Snake, anyone? Storage? Right, lol.

Cheap, simple and effective.

Call me a Luddite, (YOU LUDDITE!) but I'm pretty burnt out on this whole cellphone obsession that mankind suffers from, willing to spend (now) hundreds a month and the safety of the highway to have something Apple and others have convinced us that we need.

And the corporate/marketing takeover of youthful minds continues on, unabated. Can almost see Peter Finch screaming about how "...this generation didn't get ANYTHING that didn't come from this tube, ahem, 3'' screen..."

Sounds like you need one of those Lightning splitter/"Y" adapter things. $50 more now, to do what you could before with no extras.

Edit: Or, maybe, if the phone and your vehicle are capable, BT the audio to the vehicle audio system. That would, in theory, leave the Lightning port open for the charger.

The Y splitter seems like the best option. I have not found a y splitter for lightning. I see Belkin will be offering one in the future. I am sure others will follow. Have you seen one available now?

http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F8J198...ium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1

I prefer using the hard wire to get sounds from the phone into the audio system of the car. If for no other reason than the simplicity of just plugging a cord in.

My car does not have BT. I am probably going to have to go that route if I cannot find a splitter. It means I need to wire up a way to power the BT receiver. (This means taking apart the dashboard and console to do it well. I am really NOT wanting to take apart the dashboard and console.) Also in my thinking is to power up the BT receiver with an external battery. Or, I could buy a new receiver for the car. I have options but I have other things I would rather do with my life.

Back
Top Bottom