iphone max volume sound quality

yotems

maybe it depends on what amp youre using but i feel like this isnt the first time ive thought this. i was listing to some music via headphone jack on phone and noticed my amp volume knob was pretty high for the output so i turned my phone volume up. i had been listening to it not on max volume for longer than i ever have and it seemed to play much more dynamic, detailed, smooth, and “manageable” for the amp. ive now been listening to it on one “click” from max volume and it does just seem better.. almost as if my iphone is sending a slightly clipped signal at max volume

Last edited:
Yes. It is possible that the iPhone is using digital volume control on the samples sent to the DAC, so, at lower output volumes, it is only using a small fraction of the available dynamic range of the DAC. If you have the volume at one quarter, you're losing two bits of resolution in the DAC, and therefore 12dB of dynamic range.

It's always a good idea to try to use the maximum dynamic range of your DAC, wherever it is, and use attenuation or amplification after the DAC has done its work.

Last edited:
Yes. It is possible that the iPhone is using digital volume control on the samples sent to the DAC, so, at lower output volumes, it is only using a small fraction of the available dynamic range of the DAC. If you have the volume at one quarter, you're losing two bits of resolution in the DAC, and therefore 12dB of dynamic range.

If' always a good idea to try to use the maximum dynamic range of your DAC, wherever it is, and use attenuation or amplification after the DAC has done its work.

thanks for explaining that!

Oh, and I missed the bit about one click below max volume; again, yes, it's possible that max volume is pushing the limits of the analogue output circuitry in the iPhone, so that the swing is being limited (by the available supply voltage, for instance). So max volume might appear clipped, and a bit lower than max volume might sound better.

Back
Top Bottom