iPhono2 died and guess what?

SkyRanger

I lost music while flipping sides on a nice big band recording yesterday. I could not figure out what had happened, but I noticed that my iPhono2 was feeling very hot. I had a Radio Shack RS 42-2109 that had been in the top of my closet since I picked it up from a garage sale for $3.00. I decided to give it a try since it is certainly way better than nothing. Guess what: I am surprised at how GOOD it sounds!

Of course, it is over-classed by my Kyocera PL-701 table running a Sumiko Blackbird cart, but there is not much in the audio cookie jar at the moment, so I guess I will run it for a while and enjoy it.

Anyone else surprised by how good this old RS phono pre is?

GG

Will need to keep an eye out for one of those, I think I've seen them mentioned several times here on AK now.

I lost music while flipping sides on a nice big band recording yesterday. I could not figure out what had happened, but I noticed that my iPhono2 was feeling very hot. I had a Radio Shack RS 42-2109 that had been in the top of my closet since I picked it up from a garage sale for $3.00. I decided to give it a try since it is certainly way better than nothing. Guess what: I am surprised at how GOOD it sounds!

Of course, it is over-classed by my Kyocera PL-701 table running a Sumiko Blackbird cart, but there is not much in the audio cookie jar at the moment, so I guess I will run it for a while and enjoy it.

Anyone else surprised by how good this old RS phono pre is?

GG

I did a recap with upgraded caps on mine and replaced the power cord with a shielded/grounded version. I'm not selling it. It is my "go-to" phono preamp for Shure cartridges. It just sounds right.

I have an RS phono pre, can't remember if its that specific one but people have said good things about it. I don't honestly know if I've ever run it. It was a small $$ find somewhere. Probably needs a rebuild.

The iPhono 2: one of the most meteoric successes and epic failures in modern audio. They should have done the right thing and issued a recall but like many companies they ignore the problem, resist customers when they complain and pretend like nothing happened.

I would not touch iFi IPhono 2 with a ten foot pool. Overheating a wall wort driven circuit in a little rectangular slab is bad enough. Doing nothing about it is worse.

Really too bad as the iPhono 2 sounds phenomenal. But the fact that the folks at iFi havent at least addressed the issue is a real bummer.

My iPhono was just a few months out of warranty, but it sounded good when it worked!

I think the Realistic is a treasure, esp. for the $3. I have invested! I think I will look into upgrading the caps, etc.

GG

Can you post pictures of the insides. Would like to see the components?

Yup - some of the old stuff was "just right".

If you are looking for a MC pry, try building this http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/ad797-phono-stage-build-and-help-desk-thread.501186/
You will never return to iphono again.

Regards
Sachin

Thanks for this thread. I was starting to look at the iPhono recently, but didn't find this issue, and went in another direction for the time being. It was still on my radar as a possible future option, so I'm glad to find this thread.

I'm very interested in the DIY thread though. Looks like it will take a bit of reading to come up to speed. Is there any type of summary of the project or wiki to look at the specs? I'll be using a DL-103R cartridge and would like enough gain to not use a SUT (60+dB from what I read).

While the iPhono2 is a fabulous sounding phono pre-amp, I bought 2 of them hoping the firest unit was a fluke but both had a plethora of issues and returned both. Their customer support model is horrid and I refuse to even consider any of their products since the iPhono2 experience.
Regards,
Jim

I use one of those Realistic 42-2109 phono preamps in my main system for use as a second phono input into my Adcom GFP-565 ( which only has one phono input). I love the way it sounds, in fact I prefer it over the Art DJpre that I also have here. The 2109 seems to have a bit more bottom end and sounds more natural to my ears, they definitely got the equalization right (not too surprising I guess as it was during the peak of the turntable era).

Turntable two in my system is a Miracord 50H mkII with an Empire 2000EIII cartridge going into a spare line input in the Adcom GFP-565. I generally use it for rougher records or non-critical listening but it’s a fine sounding combination just the same. Another surprising gem from RS!

Sorry about being so slow to post pics!

GG

Attachments

• 4FE8BC08-6108-43DB-9FF2-3BFE2FC6743B.jpeg
    4FE8BC08-6108-43DB-9FF2-3BFE2FC6743B.jpeg
    72.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 7C59110F-8932-45D0-9FBE-AA61995FEBE4.jpeg
    7C59110F-8932-45D0-9FBE-AA61995FEBE4.jpeg
    70.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 754909D8-B19C-48C6-B069-38541227F16A.jpeg
    754909D8-B19C-48C6-B069-38541227F16A.jpeg
    71 KB · Views: 26
The RS 2109 is keeping a place as my backup Pre for sure, and it may get recapped at a later date.

But, thanks to brentj4 and BT I have added a Lehman Black Cube to the system, and it’s making beautiful music right now.

I am a happy camper!

Gordon G

Last edited:
I wasn’t aware of the problems with iFi Phono 2 and was just “this close” to buying one. A little more research is in order. Love all the info on AK.

Back
Top Bottom