Ipod hookup question

suprpntr

closet vintage stereo fan
I have my new 2225, and my son wants to use the ipod. What is the best way to hook it up? We have used the phono jack but I have been reading that this may not be the best way. Plus it does not sound right. Do I have any options?

Thanks

Hook it up to an Auxilary or Tape Monitor Input. The Phono input is designed for very low level sources such as what comes from a phono cartridge and is not designed for line level devices such as cd players, tuners or even ipods.

Paul

The phono input will incur RIAA equalization which the IPOD does not know about. Either hook the headphone jack to an AUX input or use a dock to connect the LINE OUT to an AUX input. If you do the former, play with the volume on the IPOD to get the best sound

I like to play some music on the CD or Tuner at the same time as the iPod and switch between the sources and try to match the iPod volume. i would turn the amp volume down while switching sources.

Ijet

May I suggest the purchase of the "Ijet". It will add a cheap and highly effective rf remote control. Great range and under 40.00. On my 2270, any volume above the 9:00 position is getting pretty loud.

I played The Doors at the 12:00 position last night and thought I saw god.

There's two big challenges making an iPod work with a quality hifi (well, three if we worry about the quality of the files on the Ipod, but that's for another day)

#1- If you use the iPod's headphone jack to connect to a Line input on your receiver (Tuner, AUX, Tape, etc) you're still listening to the somwhat aenemic (sp?) headphone amplifier in your iPod...which means turning the iPod's volume all the way up to get any kind of output from the system.

#2 How the heck do you control the thing? Walking up to the iPod (which is of course lying flat on its back on top of your receiver) and using the little wheel gets old.

So go out there and get yourself a decent iPod dock with some line-level analog RCA outputs. There's a ton of them out there that not only offer a MUCH more robust analog output, but also will provide a remote control to operate the little beast. I own the Marantz dock, which sounds great and even has a video on-screen display output so I can browse my music on my tv screen. My other favorite is built by DLO (DIgital Lifestyle Outfitters)...and that on even lets you use your iPod video to view pictuires and movies on your tv!

Either way, get that thing diconnected from your phono input and enjoy!

Great input from all, thanks.

I am going to seriously consider buying one of those docks.

We just use the basic RCA cables for the ipod. Would those monster cables make a big difference?

Meh, probably won't make much difference.

If you want to see an immediate improvement in sound quality from your ipod (for free too!) start encoding songs at a higher bitrate. Itunes defult encoding is 128kbs in the AAC format - sounds pretty thin. You'll want to go up to 256 or 320kbs for acceptable sound quality. I also prefer to use the mp3 formatt because they will play on my ipod and my car stereo.

Here is an interesting test concerning bitrate:
http://www.mp3-tech.org/tests/gb/index.html

I run my Ipod through a Cmoy amp with a built in Alps volume control.
Works great with headphones....and sound aces through the AUX. input on my Superscope receiver.

Steve

I have four docks in the house and DLO and Ijet are OK. Kensington is the worst-
Regarding the headphone out of the ipod, it has been proven to be the equal of the ipod line out when run at 95 percent Vol. Level. And 320kbs minimum is a must.
I transfer lps (dual 721 w/shure v15 type 3) in a standalone phillips, then rip at 320kbs, then transfer to ipod. Not to shabby results.

Back
Top Bottom