IPod info

soundhd

Can anyone explain to me how an Ipod works. From what I can find on the net it is a music storage/player system. Am wondering how it sounds compared to a standard CD player. Also how do you download or record music into it? Can you record from a CD source (CD player, computer, ect..) Can you download from an analog source? Have checked a couple Ipod FAQ's but nothing to answer my above aquestions. :headscrat

Think of the iPod as an external hard disk connected to your computer via firewire. It can store all sorts of files you save to it. It also happens to have a decoder chip and DAC for music playback with a very nice UI to search that hard disk for tunes.

Reading between the lines that should tell you that the iPod doesn't do any "recording" by itself. You'll have to get your music in compatible files on the computer first, then dump 'em to the iPod.

The Creative Labs Jukebox can record wave files through an analog line input! think about it; besides playing wave and mp3 files it is also a dirt cheap hard disk audio recorder! I have a recording engineer friend that uses one for that purpose. I think you can record 2 hours of wave files (cd quality, no compression) on the old 10 gig model, but the new ones are 40 gig, so 4 times as much storage! Then you download the files to a computer through a USB cable. I have one of the 10 gig models that I use to listen to mp3 audio. At the higher bit rates, 180kbps and up it starts to sound close to CD quality. You can rip CDs to mp3 files and store them on the player so you can have hours of music to listen to at work or on trips. My 10 gig drive holds about 1300 songs!

Back
Top Bottom