IPOD Nano - IS THING F'ING COOL OR WHAT!!!!

An impressive toy... but I'm a little pissed at Apple for killing the iPod Mini in favour of this product.

In terms of storage capacity you are getting only 1/2 the bang for the buck!

No more HD!!

From the look of things, the new one has SS memory, so no more HD. My iPod skips a lot on planes, so I like the idea a lot.

My boss' just came in on Thursday and I was able to steal it for a few hours. It's very cool, but soooo light! As in, it will hang by the end of a stereo mini plug indefinitely...can't do THAT with my mini :)

On a purely unscientific basis, it doesn't seem to produce as high an output voltage as my mini...had to turn the office system up a bit to get the same output. Overall sound quality is very good...limited more by the resolution of the tracks than the electronics in the iPod nano.

If you've been waiting to buy one, just do it now. I've got my black 4G unit on order :)

OLD Vinyl Spinners......

Some of my vinyl is new :D

Maybe it's just me but I don't get the point of having 5000 songs hanging around my neck. If I did I'd just tune into the radio. To me the vinyl is also about finding what to play, getting it off the shelf and knowing that the record has a longer "shelf life" than an ipod. 99% of electronics these days are "disposable" because there is a newer/better version out within months of your recent purchase. My BA-5000 has stood the test of time for 30 yrs, you think any of these ipods will last even 1/10th of that?

How long will it be until these units come pre packaged with songs.....think of it..

why not a Beatles Ipod with every track they ever recorded, an Elvis Ipod, or a specific genre, how about every #1 from the 70s.

Many of us here are collectors, searchers and nostalgia junkies, we like hunting for a pristine piece of vinyl, or a "classic" old piece of audio.

krimney said:
Maybe it's just me but I don't get the point of having 5000 songs hanging around my neck.

The point is having access to one's entire collection no matter where you are, whether it be on a walk, at the airport, or on the bus. I just took a flight from Milan to New York City and my iPod was playing non-stop the entire time (7+ hours of continuous music plus an audio-book!). It is not meant to do the same thing as your BA-5000.

Oh, and most people feel that the radio blows when it comes to playing continuous commercial-free music we like.

JUst because the gadgetry is disposable does not mean the music is, I have the same Mp3's I started with back in the Napster days, oh so many years ago, 7, 8 I forget? They reside on their 3rd computer in that time, plus a second for backup and on my ancient, not cool like the ipod, Nomad jukebox. So when you upgrade to something new you transfer the music to the gadget you don't just throw away the tunes ;)

The idea of the Ipod when travelling is the best way to go, especially when you have limited baggage amounts in weight and volume.
I just returned from a trip across the ditch to NZ and the convenience is fantastic. It's just like having your music shelf with you at all times, EVERYTHING you have can be there. The whole Ipod is a fraction of the size of a portable CDP and you don't have to carry discs as well.
I have a 60G model and haven't even got halfway to filling it yet, there will be an amazing amount of music on it once that happens.
There may be the sound quality argument, depending on what storage format you choose, but using it as a portable unit I find the sound quality is more limited by other factors -headphones, ambient noise, mood of the listener etc.
I also use mine in PA rigs and a cafe for background music in breaks between performances, it's easy to pick the right music for the right crowd as you have your entire collection there.
The nano looks really cool, a baby version of my 60G model.
I don't need one but I still want one :D
There are other units out there all with their strengths and weaknesses, but in terms of look, feel and use the Ipod gets my vote :thmbsp:
Disposablilty? ,everything I have on my Ipod comes from my CDs, so if the pod goes my music does not, plus it is always on the hard disc on the computer.
I believe that convenience of storage and access will win the day for the next consumer sound storage device, not neccessarily sound quality. This applies to the mass market stuff, there will always be interest in high end (myself included of course)
Cheers
Tony

99% of electronics these days are "disposable" because there is a newer/better version out within months of your recent purchase.
The "disposable" electronics still have a place on eBay for those that want/need to upgrade for new technology. The fact that the nano came out does not affect the use of my 3 to 4 year old (20GB) iPod. Apple has even upgraded it via online download to use with iTunes.

Is the nano cooler..YES..does it make my older iPod obsolete...NO.

maybe

I'm just a little too old fashioned and see too much of the new electronics sitting around on shelves(my own and the pawn shops). GF had to have a PALM a few yrs ago, used it about a year and now it is sitting in a box, novelty wore off I guess. Same with digital cameras, they are starting to pile up on pawn shop shelves becasue people either didn't learn to use them properly(as with most 35mm too) or they MUST have the newer version. 99% of the population have no need for 4, 5, 6 Mega pixel camera, hell, I know people with digital cameras that just use the memory in the camera to store all their pics, they have never printed or downloaded any of them.

My kids want an Ipod and with Xmas coming , they'll probably get one, maybe I'll play witht hem a bit and see what they are all about. How much work would it be to get all the old 60-70 country songs transferred from my vinyl to an Ipod??

How much work would it be to get all the old 60-70 country songs transferred from my vinyl to an Ipod
It would not be real easy. I know there is a thread on Audiokarma that addresses this issue.
GF had to have a PALM a few yrs ago, used it about a year and now it is sitting in a box, novelty wore off I guess.
The same can be said about computers, but many people spend much more on them and they can become obsolete in the same way. The trick is getting enough use out of them to justify the cost. The iPod has given me the ability to access thousands of songs in my collection while sitting at me desk at work. Yes, they have better iPods now, but even if I got rid of it, it served it's purpose. :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom