iPod Touch/iPhone as a Music Server

Njord Noatun

I have an iPod Touch (essentially an iPhone minus the GSM) that I adore because of its WiFi ability, which allows me to use it to feed Internet radio (e.g., Pandora) to my stereo.

However, the Touch only fits 8Gb of music (or 4Gb - I forget), whereas my music library is some 150Gb, or thereabouts.

Is there any way I can set up the iPod Touch as a music server only, with the music files streamed from a library on my computer (Mac or PC)? I am assuming I might have to apply a "Jailbreak", as well as perhaps install some streaming software on the computer, to achieve this.

Thanks any thoughts.

The AppleTV appliance is Apple's attempt at a media server. I've looked into buying one - if you can deal with its inherent limitations, it might be just the thing.

Most applicable to you, the iPhone or iPod Touch can be used as a remote control.

Is there any way I can set up the iPod Touch as a music server only, with the music files streamed from a library on my computer (Mac or PC)? I am assuming I might have to apply a "Jailbreak", as well as perhaps install some streaming software on the computer, to achieve this.
I know Tversity can stream one song at a time to the Touch. Not really the best way to listen to an album, but it does work.
Someone posted a link to Simplify Media that is supposed to work, but I have not got around to testing it.

Someone posted a link to Simplify Media that is supposed to work.
After having made my original post, I did a Google search and found a YouTube video about Simplify Media, which showed how this would work. Then, when I saw your post about SM, I decided to try it out: The SM software needs to run on both file server as well as the WiFi "bridge".

I first downloaded and installed the Mac OSX version (free) of SM for my Mac laptop, and then downloaded the iPhone/iPod Touch version ($3.99 from iTunes) and installed it on my Touch. After a click registration on the SM web site, the SM software indexes the music folder of your choice (e.g., iTunes), and once complete, the software is ready to stream music files. I then tried the same on my Win XP (free), and the setup was essentially similar on it.

Then fire up the iPod Touch, enter in the registration details for SM, the file server pops up, and you can choose any song, playlist, artist, or album from the file server.

Incredibly, it works - I now have 7,000 songs at my disposal! There is no need to have iTunes running - all you need is to have the SM software run on the file server (I believe it auto-starts from Windows startup).

So - no Squeezebox or other specialized hardware needed! With the iPod Touch, I can play Internet radio such as Pandora plus all the digital files from my PC - that's really all I need for digital music! An added bonus is that there is no need to jailbreak your iPhone/Touch, thereby not having to void the Apple's product warranty.

Better yet, if you use the Apple Dock, you can use the Apple Remote to select and skip songs (but regrettably, not adjust volume) EDIT: The Apple Remote can adjust the volume on the Apple Universal Dock (as well as Play, Pause, and Skip forwards and backwards).

I like it - thanks for the recommendation! Already listened to the full DSOTM, WYWH, Meddle and Atom Heart Mother! :thmbsp: :music: Now to find a free block of 25 hours or so to listen to all the rest of my Floyd...:D

Last edited:
After having made my original post, I did a Google search and found a YouTube video about Simplify Media, which showed how this would work. Then, when I saw your post about SM, I decided to try it out: The SM software needs to run on both file server as well as the WiFi "bridge".

I first downloaded and installed the Mac OSX version (free) of SM for my Mac laptop, and then downloaded the iPhone/iPod Touch version ($3.99 from iTunes) and installed it on my Touch. After a click registration on the SM web site, the SM software indexes the music folder of your choice (e.g., iTunes), and once complete, the software is ready to stream music files. I then tried the same on my Win XP (free), and the setup was essentially similar on it.

Then fire up the iPod Touch, enter in the registration details for SM, the file server pops up, and you can choose any song, playlist, artist, or album from the file server.

Incredibly, it works - I now have 7,000 songs at my disposal! There is no need to have iTunes running - all you need is to have the SM software run on the file server (I believe it auto-starts from Windows startup).

So - no Squeezebox or other specialized hardware needed! With the iPod Touch, I can play Internet radio such as Pandora plus all the digital files from my PC - that's really all I need for digital music! An added bonus is that there is no need to jailbreak your iPhone/Touch, thereby not having to void the Apple's product warranty.

Better yet, if you use the Apple Dock, you can use the Apple Remote to select and skip songs (but regrettably, not adjust volume).

I like it - thanks for the recommendation! Already listened to the full DSOTM, WYWH, Meddle and Atom Heart Mother! :thmbsp: :music: Now to find a free block of 25 hours or so to listen to all the rest of my Floyd...:D
Thank you for the review!

I decided to test it after reading your review. I am very impressed that it will handle Apple Lossless files without a problem. Also, I like the fact that it also has the lyrics to many songs. I missed the album art, but the website says that they are adding that in a future version.

Thank you for the review!

I decided to test it after reading your review. I am very impressed that it will handle Apple Lossless files without a problem. Also, I like the fact that it also has the lyrics to many songs. I missed the album art, but the website says that they are adding that in a future version.

I wonder how you get the lyrics...

I have all the album art - however, I believe the Touch sources it straight from the music server, where most of my files have an album cover associated with it (downloaded automatically over MusicMatch, AFAIR).

I have been thinking of getting a Squeezebox for a while, but at this point there doesn't seem to be much point - I love this setup!

I wonder how you get the lyrics...

I have all the album art - however, I believe the Touch sources it straight from the music server, where most of my files have an album cover associated with it (downloaded automatically over MusicMatch, AFAIR).

I have been thinking of getting a Squeezebox for a while, but at this point there doesn't seem to be much point - I love this setup!
I am using the iTunes version, but once you start playing the song, there are three tabs at the top (song, artist, and lyrics). My guess is that Winamp and iTunes work differently. I will give the Winamp version a shot, too.

NN, so you're using the big G and not your Concept as your main receiver?

BTW, I have an ATV and it works great but you need a monitor to view what's going on. If you have not seen the GUI on it you're really missing something. I also have a 2G 16gb Touch and was thinking of doing something like what you are doing but in order to get the PCM out of it you'll need something like the Wadia iTransport. After reading about the Wadia I'm thinking of going in a completely different direction and will start a new thread on it.

Better yet, if you use the Apple Dock, you can use the Apple Remote to select and skip songs (but regrettably, not adjust volume).

Correction: It is not correct that one cannot adjust the volume with the Apple Remote and Apple Universal Dock: One can adjust volume from the remote, as well as play/pause and skip (forwards and backwards), and it works very well.

After reading about the Wadia I'm thinking of going in a completely different direction and will start a new thread on it.
I would be curious to find out what an audiophile transport such as the Wadia does to the sound quality - I may take that step up in due course once I get bitten by the upgrade bug: But for now I am stoked about the iPod Touch based setup.

Negotiableterms has the Wadia, and has reported he likes it quite a bit: Hopefully, he sees your post and can contribute specifically with regards the Wadia.

How about an airport express and airtunes? I know you can stream audio from a wi-fi mac to the airport and that plugs into the amp. You can then use the free Apple "remote" app on your iPod touch to control the itunes on your mac. (Not sure it this all works with a PC, too.) It's be nice if there was a way to stream audio right from the iPod to the airport, there is no way that I know of, but I haven't really looked into it much.

How about an airport express and airtunes? I know you can stream audio from a wi-fi mac to the airport and that plugs into the amp. You can then use the free Apple "remote" app on your iPod touch to control the itunes on your mac. (Not sure it this all works with a PC, too.) It's be nice if there was a way to stream audio right from the iPod to the airport, there is no way that I know of, but I haven't really looked into it much.
Edit, you can.

BTW, the Touch and iPhone have got to be the coolest gadgets of all-time. It leaves me salivating to see what Apple will do for an encore.

How about an airport express and airtunes?
Yes, that would work, too - as long as your files reside on a Mac (or external HD accessible by a Mac) and hooking up the Airport Express in the vicinity of your stereo system is feasible and practical.

In my case, I didn't have an Ethernet drop near my stereo system, and didn't want to tie up an Airport Express just for non-Internet audio streaming. Also, I would have to go to the computer (in my case, a desktop located in a different room) to change the song, artist or playlist (or check what is playing, album cover, or lyrics).

So it wasn't an ideal permanent solution for my particular setup - but having said that, I was easy to set up and I was very impressed by it! :thmbsp:

Can you see the iTunes interface on the Touch to control what's playing?
Yes.

Also, I would have to go to the computer (in my case, a desktop located in a different room) to change the song, artist or playlist.
If you have wifi, you can control the computer's iTunes with the Touch.

I would be curious to find out what an audiophile transport such as the Wadia does to the sound quality - I may take that step up in due course once I get bitten by the upgrade bug: But for now I am stoked about the iPod Touch based setup.
One of the benefits of the Wadia is that you can take a 160GB iPod to work or second home and get a digital output from your iPod to plug into a DAC. It also does not need a computer running iTunes to be on.

While the Wadia may work with Simplifymedia and a Touch, it is much cheaper to buy an airport express and control your iTunes library with the Touch. That way you do not need to keep your Touch plugged in, so it can be used for other purposes while you are playing music.

The airport express will allow you to access your entire library and control it with the iPod Touch using it as a remote for iTunes. You have to have a computer on to access iTunes, but it does not have a 160GB limit.

Which application works better for you probably depends on whether you are using a part time system or a full time system with a computer running iTunes on all the time.

The free "Remote" app for the touch and iPhone is the second coolest thing. Total control of iTunes from anywhere in wi-fi range.
The coolest thing is the Jaadu app (not free) which sets up a VPN connection from the touch/iPhone to your Mac or PC. So you can access and control your computer from anywhere in the world with an internet connection. It was overkill, but last night I streamed a movie from Netflix on my macbook hooked to my TV. To control it, I used my touch with Jaadu to access the pause/play and volume on the Silverlight player. One time just screwing around I accessed my PC in the office from my touch at home and made a simple Autocad drawing -- from my iPod! Saved it and mailed it to myself. Amazing.

Just like a computer will do, the iPhone/Touch buffers the entire song prior to play in order to avoid skips caused by interruptions to the WiFi signal. This has the added benefit that you can load a full album, remove the iPhone/Touch from its dock, and go for a run with it: The album is already buffered in the unit and you can listen to it all the way through even after you are out of reach of your wireless point.

I "accidentally" realized this last night while listening to "Meddle" on headphones: I decided to walk around the block to inspect the progress of the Christmas light decoration deployment in our 'hood - The Floyd never missed a beat! :thmbsp:

I recently setup my rig to run Airport Express as the bridge to my computer based music server using iTunes. I use the iPod Touch as the remote control, and take the digital feed from the Airport into my Tag McLaren AV32r Pre/Pro.
This setup blow the doors off most High end cd player/transport systems I have used or tried over the years. All of the music is just there!

There are a couple of small things that I would like the remote to do but currently doesn't or I haven't figured it out yet, but this only relates to finding the songs not playback quality.

BTW, there is no apparent bandwidth issues with this setup either. I multitask the Airport to drive a large format colour laser printer as well as the music and I can print and listen at the same time:thmbsp:

I've been experimenting with streaming lossless audio from my PC to my Apple TV and into my preamp. It sounds great but I'm having issues with my wifi. It works fine and has a five bar signal strength for about an hour but then it drops to two bars so I wonder if it's getting hot and affecting the wifi connection. So I ordered and AE and it could be here today. I'll use my Touch to control it and determine if I can live with relying on my Touch to listen to music. I really like the ATV interface and am leaning towards using it but if the AE works fine I'll probably just roll with it.

Got any recommendations on a nice mini optical to optical cable?

Back
Top Bottom