iPod Touch Software Update = No Music(?)

SteveH

I'm not sure if this is "exactly" the right place to ask, but the forum does have 'iPod' in the title...

Just recently we (my 13 year old son and I) downloaded and installed version 3.1.2 (7D11) of the iPhone/iPod Touch software to his 2G 16G iPod Touch. (He just had to have it. Apparently the Facebook app wouldn't work with the old software.)

Long story short, he can no longer play music (MP3 or whatever format iTunes uses) or videos. When he selects a song and hits play, the play arrow switches to the pause symbol and immediately back to the play arrow. Same thing happens when he tries to play a video, including via the web from YouTube. And for some strange reason, we couldn't revert back to the old software load :no: And to add insult to injury, we had to pay for the software upgrade (it's only free for iPhone types)! :mad:

Anybody else have this problem? Suggestions? Of course, the thing's out of warranty by about a week ...

Steve

Have you tried doing a hard reset - holding the home and power button at the same time until the unit restarts? If not try that and see what happens. Otherwise I would probably restore it to factory settings and try installing the update again. If you have your apple receipt it should let you download it for free, if not you can always call Apple and they should be able to either send you the update again or put a credit on your account so that you can download it again.

+1 on the above. Apple tech support is generally really helpful too. I used the email or chat tech support for an iPod problem once. I had a very upbeat attitude when I contacted them, and I was very thankful when they solved my problem. I was very pleasantly surprised to find a 3 song credit on my iTunes account with a note apologizing for my difficulties and thanking me for being a customer. :thmbsp: to Apple, they know how to build customer loyalty.

We tried the hard reset. Didn't make any difference.

Restoring to factory settings (via iTunes) didn't seem to help either, but we also didn't re-download the software and re-install. I'll try that when I get home from work.

Thanks.

Last edited:
If you have an Apple store nearby try them. If it's only a bit out of warranty and the problem arose because of the software update they may take care of you. They have a fair amount of latitude in what they can do.

Agreed. My G4 Powerbook had a problem reading one of my RAM bays and my Apple Care had been expired for 6 months and Apple offered to fix it for free and paid all shipping costs. I have found if you are nice to them they are nice back and will take care of you.

Well gents, you were right ...

Finally made my way to the Apple store. They couldn't figure it out either (so I don't feel like a total loser) so they gave us a new iPod Touch:banana: Apparently because we were "only 59 days out of warranty and the failure occurred due to an Apple download" it was able to be replaced. Still don't know what happened to the iPod, but unless it happens again, I don't care!

Cheers

Steve

Back
Top Bottom