Iron Fist, Netflix original series, Very Disappointing

transmaster

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Iron Fist is a new series running on Netflix. It is about the son of a business man who's plane along with his parents disappears into the Himalaya Mountains. He and his parents are presumed dead. The Son Danny Rand (Finn Jones) reappears after 15 years. His back story is the usual mysterious training at a Buddhist monastery. He fights to take control of his fathers company, have you heard this before, yes I thought so, The story is true to the Marvel comic book the Iron fist is a white American. This has caused a certain amount of anger from the California PC crowd who feel the main character should been played by an Asian. If you are used to Hong Kong choreographed fight scenes prepare to be disappointed with Iron Fist. Danny Rand just does not come across as somebody you would expect to see coming out of a mysterious monastery in Himalayas after 15 years, no "Grasshopper" here.. The casting of the Danny Rand character is terrible. The action scenes suck, the story is something I have seen too many times, crooks,the female love interest, and the Madam Woo type bad lady. I almost switched channels when Danny fought a "Drunken Master" but when the Zombie appeared all I could do is groan and switch to something a whole lot better like a recent Steven Seagal action movie. at least it is only an hour and a half of suckage, and a more entertaining suckage at that. .

Last edited:
Yep - I grew up in the comic book era of Nick Fury of SHIELD, Dr Strange, Fantastic Four, and X-men, Daredevil and Luke Cage - Jessica Jones and Iron Fist were new to me ...
That said, its sad that of the 4 Netflix Marvel shows, only the 1, Iron Fist, has the suckage.
I was watching TV Friday night and Emma fell asleep beside me, so to avoid watching shows she likes that I'd have to rewatch later, I let 5 episodes of Iron Fist play and binged along. Now, I'll admit I I did initially stop watching Daredevil when King Pin bloodied and killed someone with the doors of his car and his fists - just a brutal, terrific peckinpah beat-down that seemed excessive, and gratuitous, but I did go back and finish the series and went on to watch season 2 and the other shows - but Iron Fist sucks beyond all that. Its just kind of cheesey at best ...
I can see the ties for the other shows and for the Defenders, the gang fights in NYC, corporate wars and gang wars, the Hand - elements from Daredevil and others - but I gotta say - I have enjoyed the other 3 shows, but this one weakens the others ...
I get the humor/iron of pretty white boy as martial arts master who is destined to save the world -I grew up with Carradine walking through the west (well, at least he wasn't "pretty") - but this?
Oh well, I suppose I should watch the rest of the series, but - Ugh.

Last edited:
Yep - I grew up in the comic book era of Nick Fury of SHIELD, Dr Strange, Fantastic Four, and X-men, Daredevil and Luke Cage - Jessica Jones and Iron Fist were new to me ...
That said, its sad that of the 4 Netflix Marvel shows, only the 1, Iron Fist, has the suckage.
I was watching TV Friday night and Emma fell asleep beside me, so to avoid watching shows she likes that I'd have to rewatch later, I let 5 episodes of Iron Fist play and binged along. Now, I'll admit I I did initially stop watching Daredevil when King Pin bloodied and killed someone with the doors of his car and his fists - just a brutal, terrific peckinpah beat-down that seemed excessive, and gratuitous, but I did go back and finish the series and went on to watch season 2 and the other shows - but Iron Fist sucks beyond all that. Its just kind of cheesey at best ...
I can see the ties for the other shows and for the Defenders, the gang fights in NYC, corporate wars and gang wars, the Hand - elements from Daredevil and others - but I gotta say - I have enjoyed the other 3 shows, but this one weakens the others ...
I get the humor/iron of pretty white boy as martial arts master who is destined to save the world -I grew up with Carradine walking through the west (well, at least he wasn't "pretty") - but this?

What is wrong with excessive and gratuitous? :D

As for Iron Fist, meh.

So far, Luke Cage is my Marvel/Netflix fave followed closely by Jessica Jones primarily for David Tennant's performance.

I tried Daredevil but could not get into it and quit after 3-4. My wife likes it though, maybe I'll try again.

Iron Fist did not even get saved onto my watch list and my wife bailed after one ep.

The direct comparison is "Arrow" which is DC comic's "The Green Arrow". Same over all story arc but unlike Iron Fist, Arrow is seriously good.

4653804-arrow.jpg

Last edited:
Worked real well for Charles Bronson ...
oh wait, he's dead!

I thought it worked real well for for King Pin. It showed just how ruthless he could be. The whole show has a dark feel about it. Even DD himself is not white hat material.

Like Cage reminds me of some 70s TV sitcom, nothing new there.

I think iron fist has the unenviable job of setting up the defenders.
I agree that it's the weak link.

Generally had poorer acting than the other netflix Marvel series, that's for sure. However, I think the characters will work fairly well when they release Defenders. I paticularly liked how they developed Claire in this series.
But yeah, I've been very happy with the other Marvel stuff netflix has done so this was a let down.

Iron Fist might not be so bad if I had not spent years watching Hong Kong Kung Fu action movies. When you have watch them as long as I have you recognize who is doing the choreography. Iron Fist well they must have used a bouncer from a local bar.

If you haven't seen it and need a Marvel fix, try Legion on FX. Don't ruin it, like me, and Google the origin of the character (upset I did instead of waiting to find out).

Back
Top Bottom