Is 3in1 oil appropriate for TEAC motors?

safebet

Long live vintage!
Subscriber
Hi folks. I'm cleaning up some 70's vintage Teac reel to reel machines and have a couple of them working well. Some might say that if it ain't broke, don't fix it, but motor lubrication is likely an exception.

Would standard hardware store variety 3 in 1 oil be appropriate to fill the oil tubes on these motors? I'm talking specifically about Teac 1250, 23xx series reel and capstan motors.

I'd like to button up the cases and start using them. Advice to "go for it" or "oh my god don't" would be appreciated!

I have some Wahl electric clipper oil that I use for just about everything, extremely lightweight and useful for all sorts of stuff.

3-in-1 is not good for long term lube. I believe it contains parafin and other not niceties. Get yourself some light sewing machine oil. I use Tri-
Flow, a Teflon-bearing lube.

Enjoy,
Rich P

I'll add that 3 in 1 is readily available, I got mine at Lowe's. Another oil I use is Sid Harvey motor and bearing assembly oil. It's a 10 wt non detergent oil that you can get at hvac/plumbing supply houses.

3 in 1 Blue oil for electric motors is fine. Avoid the normal 3 in 1, the paraffin in it is noted for gumming up motors. Zoom Spout turbine oil is also OK.

Back
Top Bottom