Is 600 bucks a good price to pay for a Pioneer SX-1250?

Discussion in 'Dollars and Sense' started by Dr.Stache, May 8, 2012.

1. Dr.Stache

Dr.Stache Active Member

Cosmetically its flawless. Sounds great too. I told the guy I'd let him know in the morning if I wanted it. Everything seems to work and it drives 4 Klipschs 4.2's he has like it aint even trying. So, good deall fellas?

2. MAXZ28

MAXZ28 Addicted Member

If it's cosmetically flawless and is 100% functional, I'd think that's a fair deal. You probably could get one cheaper but then you have to factor in the shipping costs, possible misrepresentation, and risk of damage in transit. Heck, offer the seller $500 and see if there's any wiggle room in the price. Not having to pack up a beast like a 1250 is worth some negotiation, IMHO.

3. Dr.Stache

Dr.Stache Active Member

There's no wiggle room. It is flawless but my concerns lie here.......If this thing breaks, I've looked around and a restoration costs about as much as I'd pay him for it. It has never had any sort of cap restorations, etc. That scares me. I'm wondering If an SX-950 would make more sense. Maybe that would be a cheaper to fix/restore if I problem arose.

4. epifanatic

epifanatic acoustically suspended Subscriber

Please, correct me if I'm wrong but, didn't both of those have some pretty unobtanium power modules?

5. DENNYDOG

DENNYDOG Addicted Member

A 950 won't be any cheaper to restore than a 1250 and it's never going to cost anywhere near $600 to go through one either.

I'll second the advice already given.

Pioneer's 80 series had the power modules. There isn't much in the 50 series besides a few components in the tuner that aren't available. No worse than most any vintage gear.

6. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Too Much Power!

It all boils down to "do you want it?" I would buy it if I wanted it, for sure. It can be restored for alot cheaper than whoever quoted you the $600ish to do so.

7. Dr.Stache

Dr.Stache Active Member

I'm really not sure. I have seen a few people who restore the 1050, 1250 and it runs about 450 bucks. Thats a lot of money. Even for a Doctor.:D

8. Dr.Stache

Dr.Stache Active Member

Anyone you know around the Atlanta area do that?

9. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Too Much Power!

No, it's the XX80 series that have the unobtanium modules. The XX50 series are readily available.

10. olds442111

olds442111 watching the reels

Ive run 1250's for years, and ran 'em hard. never killed one. But theres a guy in New Orleans that I use to repair my audio gear who loves to mess with 'em. But so far, he's never touched a 1250 of mine. I think thats a very fair price. Really clean ones bring more than that.

11. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Too Much Power!

Fellow AKer GordonW is in your area, look him up. :yes:

12. BOUXY

BOUXY Super Member

Go 4 it or you'll always regret it:)
    I got my Marantz 2385 like this and I was like you sitting on the Fence with what if this or what if that but I bit and I'm forever gratefull that I did for it's in mint shape and works perfectly for about the same price:)

13. Dr.Stache

Dr.Stache Active Member

Ok, thanks. That makes me feel better. I'll do that.

14. DENNYDOG

DENNYDOG Addicted Member

15. Dr.Stache

Dr.Stache Active Member

Thanks for all your advice guys. I think im gonna jump on it and just take the risk. No risk, no reward, right?

16. StereoX

StereoX New AK Member

I agree, $600 for sx-1250 that you can have auditioned and can pickup yourself looks likes a pretty good deal. I've just started watching the bay on prices for the Pioneer sx-xxxx receivers and it seems consistent.

However I've read quite a few posts here on AK that indicate that these older units need to be serviced regardless due to components inevitably going bad potentially destroying the receiver.

17. olds442111

olds442111 watching the reels

Do it. They're great units ;)

18. EchoWars

EchoWars Hiding in Honduras

Ten years ago I could do a 1250 for $600. No longer.

I know ya'all don't mean any harm, but I'd be careful about making assumptions on what a restoration costs. It's a shitload of work and involves much more than swapping a bunch of caps. At least my restorations do.
    Unlikely, but a restoration is a good idea if you want to hear what the unit is supposed to sound like.

19. Dr.Stache

Dr.Stache Active Member

:(.............Now im worried again, lol.

20. CobraVike10

CobraVike10 Active Member

Buy it! It would cost a small fortune to ship and who knows if it makes it without damage. Picking up local saves a ton. I do know that the filter caps cost around 100.00 each at restoration time and there are 4 of them in the 1250. All mine were replaced. I look at it as a lifetime investment because I will never sell mine.:banana:
    Good luck and post pictures.