Is a blue LED in Kenwood Model 600 blasphemy?

saabracer23

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hey all, so I thought I would post a few after pics of a Kenwood Model 600 rebuild I did. The customer said they think it would be cool if I could incorporate a blue led somewhere. After shaking my head in disbelief, I wanted to do my best to make it look classy.

The original lamp has an amber glow to it and I found that they got the color from using a white translucent diffuser and put a drop of amber glue on the tip of it right in front of the bulb. I scraped the glue off, built a small rectifier circuit using a capacitor and diode as the original lamp was powered with ac, and it doesn't look half bad. You'll notice the face is a little scratched up, bummer. Let me know your thoughts.

DSC_0226.JPG

DSC_0227.JPG

DSC_0230.JPG

DSC_0232.JPG

Dan

If the led is not overly bright there is Kenwood precedence for blue indicator lamps. The KA-6000 among others had blue indicators.

Looks good not like those laser beam intensity ones you find on Chinese made gear. I've changed a few of those out for mellow yellow led's.

That's the least objectionable blue LED I think I've seen to date, but in general I'm with @UncleBingo. Blue LEDs are grating on the ol' Mk1 eyeballs. I get enough blue light from the screens I stare at all day.

A lot of people think that anything is blasphemy if it's not original, but I'm finding that I like blue LEDs since I got a Cambridge amp in the rotation. They're not very bright, but they're a calming, soothing color in a darkened room and after all, red is the universal color symbolizing hazard. Amber I'm sort of on the fence with. Took some stained-glass paint recently to darken some LEDs.

if it enhances the experience, extends the soundstage, increases the dynamic range, sharpens
the foreground/background, heightens the performance, then go for it.

Um....sure!
index.php

Could happen!

The KA600 wasn't the ONLY one with blue indicators.
I have a 7002 that has very blue ones.
(borrowed pic)
DSC02819.JPG

Hey all, so I thought I would post a few after pics of a Kenwood Model 600 rebuild I did. The customer said they think it would be cool if I could incorporate a blue led somewhere. After shaking my head in disbelief, I wanted to do my best to make it look classy.

The original lamp has an amber glow to it and I found that they got the color from using a white translucent diffuser and put a drop of amber glue on the tip of it right in front of the bulb. I scraped the glue off, built a small rectifier circuit using a capacitor and diode as the original lamp was powered with ac, and it doesn't look half bad. You'll notice the face is a little scratched up, bummer. Let me know your thoughts.

View attachment 1176365

View attachment 1176366

View attachment 1176367

View attachment 1176368

Dan
Very nice, I had a 600 for like 30 years, just sitting at my brother in law house, just going to waist. I eventually took it back with the intention to rebuild it. When I opened it up and saw all those leaking caps and loose solder joints everywhere, I just closed it back up and sold it to a guy in the UK.

That was my first midfi amp back in the seventies. I still have the tuner.

Very nice, I had a 600 for like 30 years, just sitting at my brother in law house, just going to waist. I eventually took it back with the intention to rebuild it. When I opened it up and saw all those leaking caps and loose solder joints everywhere, I just closed it back up and sold it to a guy in the UK.

That was my first midfi amp back in the seventies. I still have the tuner.
Midfi? They would have been a pretty pricey midfi unit! But then there is no set definition or spec for mid fi..

A blue light on a Kenwood Supreme is still a Kenwood Supreme. The beauty is not in the light. Purple and pink work. If midfi, OK. The greatest midfi I've ever owned.

TS

KT 7001 has blue indicators for Muting, Multiplex plus dial lighting and meters. No problem... :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom