Is a Pioneer TX-608 basically a dk. face TX-6800?

thedelihaus

Nocturnal transmissions
Just wondering, if anyone might have some info, or know...

Is the Pioneer TX-608 basically a dark-faced (dial-only) version of the TX-6800? I have a bit of a hard time finding info on the 608, not so on the 6800. But the units look almost identical, and they strongly feel to me to be more than cousins, kinda like fraternal (not quite paternal) twins. Noticeable differences are the 6800 uses a silver dial face while the 608 uses a black dial face, and the 608 seems to sport a black case while the 6800 a vinyl woodprint case. Similiar items are knob placement, knob function (I believe), twin meter placement, twin meter function, and led light placement.

I own a 608, a decent little tuner, very comparable to my Kenwood 5500, both bought for tweaking experiments or gifting to friends getting involved in hifi for the first time or back into it after a brief hiatus.

Here's a few pics off the web...

Attachments

• TX-6800.jpg
    TX-6800.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 69
  • tx608jpg22qk.jpg
    tx608jpg22qk.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Yes, you're coorect -- they are the same tuner with different cosmetic treatment.

Nice little piece, deserving of a full rebuild with new caps, resistors, diodes, Ammons' filter boards and alignment.

Thank you DKak for the quick reply. I figured as much. And I must say I'm pretty impressed with the build quality of the 608. Pioneer did a good job with their quality control on this unit.

thedelihaus said:
Thank you DKak for the quick reply. I figured as much. And I must say I'm pretty impressed with the build quality of the 608. Pioneer did a good job with their quality control on this unit.
Yes, it's a very nice budget tuner. One of the many tuners I have is a TX-6800 and I did a full cap/resistor/rectifier diode/filter board rebuild on it. It's at Punker X's now waiting to be aligned. But after "just" the parts upgrade, it sounded really nice. While not quite up there with the best tuners I have, it sounds far better than it ought to and I could live with it any day of the week -- it is very musical. If you'd like a copy of the service manual I have one in PDF form. Just let me know --

Back
Top Bottom