Is anyone here running an amplifier using their receiver as a preamp?

Nad T-763 5.1 receiver as a pre to a ADCOM gfa-6000 5 channel amp. I love having a remote for the pre.

Do it all the time. Great alternative to stand alone if you have the room. Cheap alternative if you look on the used market.

I haven't but could understand getting good sound out of a classic receiver and using a good amp. I Have two receivers left, a Kenwood KR-9600 and an older, smaller Pioneer. Both need work. No immediate need to try this because I have a great tuner and am spoiled by the Yamaha CA-2a pre. Just don't let me hear any Sansui receiver users trying this. Some of the vintage Sansui receivers had an amp that was brilliant

Rotel RB-985 with Yamaha RX-V663 AV receiver as pre. When driving B&W DM302s, the RX-V663's internal amp sounds better IMO, but it distorts at high volumes. The system is my temporary gaming system until a mini home theater room can be built.

garage_system_01.jpg

garage_system_02.jpg

Why do I think indonesia is awash in electronics? I visualize amplifiers lining the streets, thrown out because there was no room or a replacement was easy to get.

I'm using a vintage, low watt, Yamaha receiver picked up very cheaply. Wanted the vintage look, didn't need the onboard amp, and the CR-400 has pre outs. Sounds great to me through a Sonance amp and vintage Polk SDA-CRS speakers. So good, I'm now re-capping and tweaking the speakers.

Yep-
Marantz 4270 pre-am jumped to:
Marantz 4140
Marantz 140
Marantz 1250
Marantz 300dc

Each feeding a set of speakers into other rooms

Love it
Smokey

A friend gave me a Yamaha M-80 for work done on his speakers. He didn't care for it and I told him it had a good rep...so took it.

My Sansui G-8000 had a switch for pre so hooked the M-80 to it. I was very disappointed in the sound....so ended up selling the amp. Plus it ran hot as hell.

I do it all the time! I had excellent results when I matched my Mitsubishi da-a10dc to a Sansui 2000X. I always found the mitz bright, but matching it to the Sansui completely changed the character, and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

As of now I’m running a Harman Kardon Citation 19 using the pre outs on a Luxman R-113. Sounds very nice to my ears!

Dan

I have a Onkyo TX-4500 It has metal RCA bridges that you have to remove to use the Pre-amp output. I've tugged on them a bit but they are rock solid and I'm reluctant to pull any harder on them. Can anybody confirm it's OK to pull the bridges on these vintage 70s receivers? Plus, can you re-install them snug and sound if you want to restore the receiver amp setup?

Thanks!

Added Photo:

Last edited:
Not anymore but I successfully used a Luxman R-115 and R-113 for a few years as a preamp.
The R-113 sometimes used as a pre when needed. R-115 just doing amp duties now after getting a proper HK preamp.
Thought it worked pretty well actually until i could afford to "do it right"

I have a Onkyo TX-4500 It has metal RCA bridges that you have to remove to use the Pre-amp output. I've tugged on them a bit but they are rock solid and I'm reluctant to pull any harder on them. Can anybody confirm it's OK to pull the bridges on these vintage 70s receivers? Plus, can you re-install them snug and sound if you want to restore the receiver amp setup?

Thanks!

What's the manual say?

Thanks!
Yes. They are jumpers between pre and amp section. Soak with a little WD-40 to loosen them up and wiggle them out without too much force.
That is what they are there for, from a time they made receivers RIGHT!!

I used to run my Aragon 4004mkii with my Yamaha RX-Z1 as a preamp temporarily and I got good results from the combo. I got a deal on an incredible Integrated (imo) though so up the ladder I went , I still have and use the Yamaha though for home theater duty and dont think I would part from it , it’s that good .

Audiofreak71

Last edited:
Plenty.
Even adding preouts to receivers that don't have 'em.
Currently testing an Altec Lansing 1270c amp w/Sansui G-2000 and Parasound dr25.
Really dig the Yamaha's and Denon's w/variable loudness.

Onkyo TX-4500

The Onkyo's work surprisingly well as pre's and their phono section is well regarded. I was using an 8500 MKII as a pre with excellent results.
I just looked at my 4500 MKII and it does not have jumpers, but went to hifiengine and looked at the owners manual for the 4500 and it does indeed have jumpers. If you have a high power amp than it's definitely worth checking out.

Reactions: S S
I did it once, with a monster Realistic receiver (STA-2290) that had the RCA jumpers in the back. Other than the excess real estate that the receiver took up, there were no issues. However, as soon as my dedicated preamp arrived I ditched the arrangement, mostly because of space constraints. The receiver had a lot of neat inputs (2 phono inputs, tape loops, etc) that few modern preamps have, so I could see the utility of the setup.

Reactions: S S
Back
Top Bottom