Is anyone using "vintage gear" for TV sound?

visman

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Well it's time to upgrade my surround sound system (I have an older Onkyo 5.1 with built in DVD player). Connected to a 3 yr old Toshiba 1080P HDTV (also to be upgraded).

So I am researching new (and expensive) 7.2 receivers (Onkyo, Pioneer etc.) and it suddenly occurs to me that I could spend my money on some more really nice vintage gear :D .... maybe some tube gear with a pair of Klipsch's - seems it would sound pretty darn good :scratch2:

My question is does anybody use vintage gear for their TV listening pleasure?

Yep! Sounds good, too. Two channels of vintage is good for me. I have heard the surround systems at Best Buy, not set in a home, but for me there is something lacking about the presentation. Hollow? Thick? No balls? Something's missing...maybe the super expensive stuff will get you there, but vintage gives way more bang for your dimes.

I guess I am missing out on the surround mix, but I don't care. I don't like the idea of running wires across my room either, or a speaker staring at the back of my head... :)

Not sure about tube gear for movies...anyone?

Been doing it for years, mancave has a Kenwood KA-3500 and Marantz Imperial 7's with the TV,VCR,DVD running through it, sounds great.

Look at my sig.. that's what my TV plays through.. only now the Altecs aren't connected, and a pair of old JBL C36 speakers replaced them..

The dirty little secret is 2 channel is all you need for good sound in home theatre. I have gotten many complements using nothing more than an old Yamaha and a pair of Large Advents. There is not even a need for a subwoofer with the Advents.

Thanks for the feedback - I am glad I asked the question!

I have been listening to the Onkyo surround speakers (with a sub) which are nice but nowhere near audiophile - didn't want to spend a bunch of money on more of the same .... now some nice vintage gear and speakers - I am in!

My younger son has a 52" Sony Bravia/DirectTV. He plays his TV and his LP's through a Marantz 2220B and restored Advent Fives. He loves it.

I have both a McIntosh stack and a Yamaha/Mirage surround system in the same room. I usually use the McIntosh except for NASCAR races and some other sports or movies.

Also, many folks with surround systems have their subwoofer and center speakers jacked up too much.

Last edited:
Using a Vintage Kenny in my set-up. I know more fellows that got fed up with a total surround sound system, sold it all, and are doing the same thing. Set up properly, it's better for music too. The "industry" would hate it if the secret ever got out!

I was considering going all vintage but decided I wouldn't give up the center & surround channels, LFE out and digital inputs and DSP soundfields. Ended up using my older Yamaha RX-V1300 receiver for these features, then used the pre-outs for the mains into my vintage bi-amped Infinity QLS1's. Works great this way since I can use surround soundfields for theater with augmented low frequency effects and stereo for audio only.

I run three different sets of speakers through a Craig 5003 for my home theater. I do not watch television with this set-up. This is for media on disc (dvd/cd) only.

The screen is a television set that has the video cable only run from Denon dvd player. The audio outs are run to the Craig which has A, B and C jacks for speakers. The receiver can run any two speaker sets at 60 watts. I am able to tailor the sound depending on the movie or the music.

I use all vintage gear with my television; mainly because I'm just a student and found all this stuff for next to nothing. My dad downstairs has some crappy Sony 5.1 set-up, and personally can't stand it. If I ever have company over for drinks, I'll drag my Marantz downstairs for the night's listening. Like someone has mentioned, not enough presence... it sounds like you're dividing the power too much. We all hear in stereo right? so it's all you need; 5.1/7.1 set-ups just throw the sound around the room in a different way. That's how I see it anyway.

My 2.1 Home Theatre System

My question is does anybody use vintage gear for their TV listening pleasure?

I specifically configured both of my Home Theatre systems to be a mix of both "Vintage" ( manufactured prior to year 2000 ) and "Contemporary" (manufactured after year 2000 )

Here is a summary of my living room configuration:

Vintage:

• [*]Front Speakers: ads L400 (1990)
    [*][*]CD: Nakamichi MB-2 (1993)
    [*]Subwoofer: Canon Plus B subwoofer (1986)

Contemporary:

• [*]AVR: Yamaha RX-V800 (2002)
    [*]S-VHS: Go Video SDV-650 (same as JVC HR-S9800U) (1999)
    [*]DVD: Yamaha DVD-S2300 (2003)
    [*]DVD-R: Panasonic DMR-E55 (2004)
    [*]HDTV: Toshiba 26HL66 (2006)
    [*]Cables: Belkin PureAV (standard length)

All of the components have black faceplates

The Yamaha AVR enables a wide range of connections, both analog and digital, and manages the switching between components. I am using the AVR-800 in 2.1 mode. :thmbsp:

The vintage ads L400s an Canton Plus B provide a wide range of sound for both music and movies. The ads L400s provide accurate imaging; there is no need for a dedicated speaker for the center channel. :music:

Last edited:
The TV can be switched through the Yamaha CR-2020 and the Polk Monitor 7Bs at any time but it is mainly when playing DVDs.

But of course

I run my oldschool Mitsubishi 40"CRT through an
H/K A/V unit to a pair of Fisher XP-18s (no sub required)
with Pioneer CS-52Ts as rears.
Gets the job done in fine fashion.

Attachments

• dec08 066.jpg
    dec08 066.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 49
  • dec08 054.jpg
    dec08 054.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 51
  • dec08 046.jpg
    dec08 046.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 53
TV Tubes,Vintage or Tubes for 2 channel TV

This is an excellent time to consider your options for a positive change!
Go backwards in Audio for that real True to Life Sound!
Originally I ran a Monster Technics early 80's 2 channel when the VHS Movie format first came out,a good VHS player back then was $900.00- $1200.00cdn!
First ones were mono signal,using mono vcr,utilizing mono switch on my receiver,then later stereo through the receiver's tape loops,stereo vhs through some JBL 4311 control monitors.Can you say Ballsy!
Next went the surround sound route with 4 Energy Reference Conny's,I was influenced by good earlier Quad LP recordings,but as Wadeus mentioned the HT just seemed like its power ratings were really lame,no balls,way less clarity,I felt ripped off,plus the rear channels were not being used nearly enough for my liking,at first they were,but bean counters ki-boshed that,then came the constant buying/reading of coming format changes/wars,a turn off,then always some issues with my surround receivers,causing neurotic urges to upgrade to the latest chip set,breakdowns,= not worth fixing=Landfill....I'm pretty Green & that pissed me off the most and in all honestly its presentation just sounded like there was a veil was over the speakers/Music when I Listened to Music through HT,it just plain sucked,no life,at least to my old school analogue ears,I will not bore you with the rest,I sold all,including the Energy's,got out with almost my full investment totally intact,bought wisely in my opinion over time time & went back to my "Musical Sound Roots" & have never looked back,so another back to 2 ch convert,I come by it honestly by experience & then good choices.
I really in some ways,other than a modern dvd player & good TV ended up going backwards in audio to some early speakers I had heard in a Home recording studio in the 70's in Vancouver(Canada)some Altec 19's,currently used almost entirely with tubes,vintage Eico,Stromberg & Scott tube amps,interchange them Seasonally,with excellent results for Movies,Vinyl,cd & dvd concerts of all genres.No complaints from my Family or friends!
I was never more satisfied or happier now compared to earlier frustrating,just something missing stereo systems,I have had many,many positive comments regarding our 2 large speakers,& tube amps,the latest being from my daughters girlfriend while watching a dvd Rock Concert,was the Red Hot Chili Peppers at the Slane Castle grounds,obviously their choice,but even though I'm 56 I really like that concert too,enjoying their sixties influences.I used to play drums so the 60's/70's was and is still golden memories to me.
My daughter's friend said I don't know what those glowing things are but those speakers sure sound real!.Ha,got another one!.Nailed her with only 11 Triode watts of Stromberg.Take that Mr. 400 BS watts HT Receiver!!!
So that's kind of cool for me to have a compliment like that from very young ears,as I really like the modified Stromberg Triode Presentation myself,but slightly prefer my 35 watt Eico.To each his/her own sound.
I,however only use the tube amp for watching Movies & DVD Concerts,NOT TV.I would feel like I'm wasting my tube life.Old school thought again,depending on your tube choice & again your budget.
I don't watch enough TV to use the tube amp on boring TV with far too many commercials now a days for my liking.We watch normal evening programing using just the tv speakers.
When I occasionally run my vintage solid state(Philips receiver or amp/pre-amp)which I do rarely throughout the year using interconnects for TV sound,I am the only one who watches normal tv with sound through that solid state amp.
I am old school and I prefer 2 really great speakers over five,or is it ten ho hum HT speakers now,lol\....which ends up in my opinion,unless of course you have unlimited funds, a very complicated mess of so-so quality component choices which equals so-so boring,lifeless sound.Just my opinion,we all hear different & have different budgets.
After all was said & done,experienced,etc,I preferred a real good quality sound that draws me in whether its,Listening to Vinyl,cd's,watching a good Movie,especially one with an excellent soundtrack,or my favorite,a well recoded,properly filmed concert of my choice.
I find with horn speakers I never miss a word of Movie dialogue & a good soundtrack really adds to a movie's quality of enjoyment with true dynamic sound.
I also prefer a system that gives me the proper Tone of an instrument,a Soulful vocal,or sounds reproduced exactly as they sound in real life,even explosions & sound effects,nature etc.
Quality 15 inch woofers do NOT need sub woofers for my enjoyment.Its a real life full bodied sound reproduction.With Oooooomph!!!
Many a time during a Movie where we do hear sounds behind us where there is only a wall.Daughters screams,me jumping,lol,during a good Vampire flick vouch for proper speaker placement.
Try it I think you just might like the simplicity of it all.
A really good 2 channel system will reproduce TV/Movies/Vinyl,cd/.dvd,no problem,anyone tells you different is either full of it or trying to sell you something.
Think about it,why wouldn't you want a system that plays everything well,I have yet to hear an HT system that plays Vinyl & a dvd concert as realistically as mine.Never both,its one OR the other.
I want it all in one simple quality system,not one that only does it for movies,needing another that does it well for Vinyl,you get where I'm coming from.
Would just also like to add one final note,the earlier Onyko stuff I heard sounded very good to me & sold well here at London Audio. Peace & Harmonies
Altec Concert Kenny

Last edited:
my HT rig is all modern electronics, but all vintage speakers. double advents for the front three, and double minimus-7s for the sides and rears. all driven off a kenwood vr6070 AVR. for subs i have an audiosource 15 in a custom cabinet with a plate amp, and a 12" philips built into the floor, powered by the remains of an old JVC stereo.

i also share the L/R advents with my tube rig for playing records, see sig.

Using a Vintage Kenny in my set-up. I know more fellows that got fed up with a total surround sound system, sold it all, and are doing the same thing. Set up properly, it's better for music too. The "industry" would hate it if the secret ever got out!

x2! I'm using a vintage Kenny and a pair of Polk Monitors with an MTX PSW connected via the main out on the Kenny. This is perfect for all of my old VHS tapes that are stereo anyway, plus DVDs sound great, also. I've got the speakers positioned perfectly and it creates a huge soundstage for my movies and music.:music::banana:

Back
Top Bottom