Is Craigslist Flooded By Flippers?

Jayrosc

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like my local craigslist has been crammed with all sorts of vintage stereo gear of late. And most of it has been set at full retail price. Remember the days when an old Marantz receiver popped up for a hundred bucks? Or a pair of JBL's for half of that?
Up to a year ago, CL was a place haunted by guys like me looking for a good deal. Now it looks like the internet version of some Hipster type solid state farmers market where buyers are expected to pay top dollar for whatever device is considered cool.
But of course, I could be mistaken.

no one here uses cl for anything but adult adds
i dont know why
here its kijiji ... there are a few local flippers ... but only 1 is strictly audio
the others are flipping anything they think that can, and have 30 adds up at all times.
the ones wanting top $$ seem to be guys who found their old amp in the closet and think they should get what ebay tells them

If the local market is willing to pay that price then more power to them. What will probably happen is that they will sit on it forever then bring the price down. Most people that actually try and flip for a living dont sit on stuff for a long time before reducing prices on unsold items......they often need the cash to buy the next "find". Also, CL is not for somebody who is not patient. If you are in a hurry, eBay is the place to look.

I've seen a few good bargains lately, especially if you appreciate Kenwood gear. It's not like it was just a year ago though, that's for sure.

Is it ever!

But then again, people expect things for cheap here on Barter Town. While the cost of unrestored or "core" units rise on Craigslist, people aren't paying the extra for restored units. Sooner or later, people doing decent restoration work (like myself) will have moved on, leaving nobody to do the work.

Lee.

Is it ever!

But then again, people expect things for cheap here on Barter Town. While the cost of unrestored or "core" units rise on Craigslist, people aren't paying the extra for restored units. Sooner or later, people doing decent restoration work (like myself) will have moved on, leaving nobody to do the work.

Lee.

your absolutely right on that one
thats what makes you and others on this board so great
there are no places here to get repairs done except a few retired guys
if you dont know about them .. you give up
i recycled a bunch of carver stuff.. cause shipping to fix is not worth it

The market shakes out everything. People stop buying and somebody else starts.....somebody stops selling and somebody else starts. The cycle never ends.

Local CL is full of loads of crap that isn't what we look for but there are a few AKers selling turntables or whatever. The nearby CL has a lot more gear less junk.

Not like one can't find gear occasionally, but it isn't the dumping ground for vintage and cheap that really gets the AKers juices flowing. Just takes longer to find something worth moving on in the stereo buying season.

Up here in the Madison/Milwaukee area, there is a goodly amount of solid gear, but , yes, there are a couple of flippers hard at work. Some of the prices being asked are truly premium. For example there was a nice, restored tube amp that was offered by the restorer for $1600. Then it disappeared, only to reappear from the Flipper for $3000. The $1600 price was a fair asking price. I've seen Flipper listing up to a dozen things, all of them at premium prices. I don't mind someone getting a fair price on an item, but I've yet to see this person ask a fair price.

Is it ever!

Lee.
Never got too far. Some of us appreciate your type of skill & work. Leave an ecard so we know where to find you;)

In southern N.Y. it has slowed a great deal too. The source for most of the high quality stuff comes from old coots like me that die off, and relatives liquidate their holdings without knowledge of value or even function. You must realize that there weren't that many True Blue nuts like us that purchased the better equipment to start with, and the well is being pumped dry so to speak. If you see anything you like, you better move on it, sooner than later. There is still stuff to be had out there, but estate sales can be good too in my area, it is very rare to see the best stuff at low prices due to the internet.

I dunno if it is anymore but it's one of the reasons I stopped hunting craigs several months ago. I thought I'd miss it but I haven't missed it the slightest amount and I now realize what a complete waste of time craigslist really is.

Kijiji is the main source here, CG is not strong in Ontario, but same effect. Flippers wanting full retail pop, and restored gear being sold for in excess of restored prices on Ebay. There are two markets, the high priced stuff that sits and sits - the long term market, and the short term market where anything priced reasonably is on and gone within 1-2 days. I see some gear I sell showing up at crazy prices, but doesn't bother me, I got what I am ok with.

Craigslist isn't really where it's at for people like us. In my area there are a core group of guys into audio. Some buy, some sell, everyone looking for it. No one person gets everything.
The way to get the stuff is to meet the group in your area and establish relationships with all the players. Once you can do that gear will present itself for sale or trade.

giphy.gif

Sigh. This is not Cuba or Venezuela. Open market prevails here. If prices were a steal AND the op managed to score, he would not be on the rag.

For us flippers, local sale is much preferred. E-Pal takes 15 percent and then there are the labor and cost for proper packaging. Let's say UPS does not drop kick your package. Sub-zero temps at this time of the year wreak havoc on old solder joints and caps which increases the risk. There is ebay's de facto 6 month warranty masquerading as the buyer protection program. Warranty on vintage? This can lead to a one sided ruling and clawback, months after the sale. Then there is the cash grab called SNAD in which the buyer asks for money for a repair that you the seller cannot confirm is real. Ebay will rule against you. And then there are the parts swappers who return your item in near worthless condition. And you get to pay for return shipping. I don't see any problems here. Do you?

Last edited:
Sigh. This is not Cuba or Venezuela. Open market prevails here. If prices were a steal AND the op managed to score, he would not be on the rag.

For us flippers, local sale is much preferred. E-Pal takes 15 percent and then there are the labor and cost for proper packaging. Let's say UPS does not drop kick you package. Sub-zero temps at this time of the year wreak havoc on old solder joints and caps which increases the risk. There is ebay's de facto 6 month warranty masquerading as the buyer protection program. Warranty on vintage? This can lead to a one sided ruling and clawback, months after the sale. Then there is the cash grab called SNAD in which the buyer asks for money for a repair that you the seller cannot confirm is real. Ebay will rule against you. And then there are the parts swappers who return your item in near worthless condition. And you get to pay for return shipping. I don't see any problems here. Do you?
the day those policies got implemented is the day I went dark on ebay.

the buyer now comes to my store or house with cash in hand

Back
Top Bottom