Is it a fair trade? McIntosh Mc7300 + 1G for Marantz 2500

Whether the market continues to inflate is your call. On sound quality alone, stay with the 7300. IMO, the 2500 is decent but not great sounding. Plus it is too fragile to run everyday with 'scope being hard to find and dual core caps being impossible to find. I've owned three examples plus a parts unit over the years. Still have a few cruddy boards in a box somewhere.

OP poses a dual faceted question: One economic; the other, utilitarian.

Still waiting for the OP to clarify his intentions - otherwise we're just stating the obvious...

Whether the market continues to inflate is your call. On sound quality alone, stay with the 7300. IMO, the 2500 is decent but not great sounding. Plus it is too fragile to run everyday with 'scope being hard to find and dual core caps being impossible to find. I've owned three examples plus a parts unit over the years. Still have a few cruddy boards in a box somewhere.
Add in the potential transformer blow out issue with the 2500, and staying with the Mc becomes all the more obvious. Unless riding a market, as stated.

Add in the potential transformer blow out issue with the 2500, and staying with the Mc becomes all the more obvious. Unless riding a market, as stated.

Oh yeah, that too. Fragile transformer was the main reason I never played my 2600. I rode the market for a couple of years and did well. I had my fingers crossed it would check out when I had a deal arranged. Cool receivers but the 2500/2600 have become too collectable to be enjoyable. if that makes sense.

Oh yeah, that too. Fragile transformer was the main reason I never played my 2600. I rode the market for a couple of years and did well. I had my fingers crossed it would check out when I had a deal arranged. Cool receivers but the 2500/2600 have become too collectable to be enjoyable. if that makes sense.
Makes perfect sense.

The proposed deal is $1,000 + MC7300 for a Marantz 2500 receiver.
NO.
I have a Marantz 2500 fully restored and LOVE it. But that deal is WACKED. In non restored condition I wouldn't pay more than $1500. It'll have glitches, GUARANTEED. So that's another $1000-$1500 to have it restored and a waiting list of sometimes up to 2 years. Now your out tunes while having it restored.
I'd politely turn that down. Listen to the many members here.

Back
Top Bottom