Is it dumb to upgrade to AT440 now that it's discontinued?

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by DesertTwang, Mar 11, 2017.

1. JP

JP 7480 74111110101115 Subscriber

I said exactly that in 2010. I miss those days.

C6Bill and DesertTwang like this.
  2. needlestein

needlestein Super Member

LOL!!!!

808_state likes this.
  3. needlestein

needlestein Super Member

I want to have your opinion, but I can't. In practice I either have confirmation bias or some other illness, but I can't even listen to CDs anymore except in the car.

I even prefer ceramic cartridges and vinyl to CDs. The good news is, you don't have to spend a lot. Gusten is the king if you want advice on how to get the best sound for the least money. I should listen to gusten more.

4. gusten

gusten Addicted Member

I don´t think so, there are many here with a great knowledge, and You are certainly one of them. :)

needlestein, tubewade and empirelvr like this.
  5. empirelvr

empirelvr AK Subscriber Subscriber

Well, what do you know...Thank you sir! :beerchug:
    [​IMG]

needlestein likes this.
  6. needlestein

needlestein Super Member

Thank you, but you take it to another level. I appreciate your efforts and the efforts of so many others. Great community here.

Also, I should add that the CD's I listen to in my car are ones I made from vinyl. Recorded music industry CDs, as we have noticed and beaten the dead horse about, do not take full advantage of the medium.

7. Zingem

Zingem Active Member

I think any criticizing should be towards Audio-Technica for increasing their prices!

8. 911s55

911s55 AK Subscriber Subscriber

How is what DesertTwang said criticizing? Everything stated referred to "I" and "myself" not "those that do" or others. I personally agree with his point of view regarding spending.

9. WaynerN

WaynerN Super Member

The ATN150Sa is $168.88 with free shipping. How is that out of line? I'm sorry that replacement styli costs sometimes as much as the original cartridge, but that is the way things are now days.

10. 808_state

808_state Member

And then it's 2017 and you wake up to four turntables with a fifth (lonely little Garrard changer) sitting on the floor in the corner and a sixth quietly waiting for you in a little room on another continent.

11. 808_state

808_state Member

Fear not Wayner, once he gets a taste then he'll want more. Half the fun of this hobby is the chase.

12. JP

13. empirelvr

It always was that way. For the better carts like the various high end Shure's and Stantons, the replacement stylus always cost about 2/3 of what you'd pay for a current complete cart of the same model. Nothing new there! :)

14. empirelvr

I agree as well, no offense taken here. In fact, I kind of admire DesertTwang for it. I wish I was as strong as he is to not succumb to the ever shifting audio goalposts.

15. dahoo

dahoo New Member

maybe somebody can just buy the complete cartridge and sell the body. ATN150sa for 168 seems more reasonable.

16. dahoo

dahoo New Member

Didn't know at160ml stylus has a color like atn140, i thought it was only brownish.

17. JP

+1. I had to put this one on a brown box to show the color in the picture, otherwise it looked black.

IMG_0694.jpg

18. RonniB

RonniB Member

I understand that beauty and value is in the eye (or ears) of the beholder. Recently, I acquired an NOS ATN15ss stylus and a NOS ATN15 stylus. I paid 150 Euros for the ATN15ss and 130 Euros for the ATN15. That's a bit of lunch money for me, but the resultant sounds are so well worth the $$...and they're not even "broken in" yet. I have one more ATN15 and an ATN155lc to obtain, and then I'll be set for whatever remaining years I can still waddle to my TT and play a record. I can't justify any MC carts, but the detail these MMs render makes me believe I've hit my personal sweet spot.

just my $0.02

19. 62caddy

62caddy AK Subscriber Subscriber

One of my regrets was not buying up as many 440MLa cartridges when they were selling new for $99 on Amazon back in '10. :(

Well at least I got one and could not be happier with it. I recently ran it through a battery of tests with the aid of Stereo Review Test Record and an oscilloscope and the results by far exceeded my expectations. It's real forte is its tracking ability which is beyond criticism.

If you can find one, I would recommend an Audio Technica 440MLa without reservation. Even at $200, it's still well worth it, IMO.

20. Lo-Fidelity

Lo-Fidelity Active Member

My wife asked what I was reading so I read her part of this post.
    She said, 'He must an Einstein.'
    I said, 'No he is a Needlestein.'
    We both got a good laugh.