Is it dumb to upgrade to AT440 now that it's discontinued?

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by DesertTwang, Mar 11, 2017.

1. needlestein

needlestein AK Subscriber Subscriber

LOL! I really need to apply these brains to more lucrative endeavors.

2. WaynerN

WaynerN Super Member

The ATN150Sa stylus installed on the AT440MLa body is magic! I'm hearing details that I have never heard before. Details have also taken on a vertical plain, in other words, there is stuff positioning all over not just from left to right, but from top to bottom. This combination works better then the ATN150MLX and AT440MLa body.

Wayner

3. RonniB

RonniB Active Member

Wayner, I like your thinking. I'm ordering an ATN155lc from my "source" and will slap it on my AT140 body. I was going to use the 440mlb body, but when I compared them, the 140 had a more consistent range.

Otherwise, I've been buying NOS stylii lately, and it looks like a fortuitous move in regards to AT's hijinks. 2 more stylii and I'll be set until I start mumbling "Eh, what was that, sonny?".

4. DesertTwang

DesertTwang Active Member

Where do people go for NOS items like styli? (I'm assuming NOS stands for "New old stock.") Do you just shop around using Google, or are there specific online outlets that specialize in such items?

5. RonniB

RonniB Active Member

DT, I'll let my cat out of the bag now that I'm done feeding it. I found a guy on eBay that had a cache of NOS Audio Technica stylii and a few NOS carts. After purchasing a stylus and finding it to be the real thing,
    I managed to connect with him outside of the walls. :) I cleaned out his supply of stylii so I could upgrade mine and have some spares. All he has left is one NOS AT155lc cart which I plan to purchase in April, having now spent all my lunch money to date. I realize there will probably be some disapproving lurkers here, but - hey - when NOS good stuff comes along, a person is a fool to pass on acquiring items he or she needs, IMHO. I now have an ATN15ss stylus on my AT15sa cart, an ATN15 stylus on my AT15S cart, a TKN2 stylus (mini 2 x 7 elliptical) on my TK5e, and soon an ATN155lc stylus on my AT140lc cart; all NOS.
    Ya gotta DIG for this obscure stuff.

BTW, regarding some earlier comments about AT12sa carts; I swapped a LC stylus from a VS240lc onto my AT12sa, and It sings! I think it closely resembles my AT440mlb characteristics, except for the lower
    output. Swapping the LC stylus onto my TK5e works well too, except for being a bit bass-heavy. This is really becoming a really interesting expedition.

Bottom line: my record-listening enjoyment has increased tremendously. Isn't that what it's all about?

6. 62caddy

62caddy Trust but verify Subscriber

Many listed on the auction site.

7. RonniB

RonniB Active Member

I forgot to mention: I am now retired, so I have the time to prowl sites, forums, and auctions. It's taken me 6 months of daily research to not only find the components I want, but also evaluate how their qualities
    might agree with my particular musical obsession. My Jewish friends have deemed me an "honorary Hebrew", by virtue of my buying habits. I do my best to not get skinned on a deal, but will also pay a fair price
    when I determine that prime goods are being offered. Also, the NOS pieces help me better ascertain the projected lifespan of stylii, compared to "lightly used" pieces. I got what I paid for and know I am very fortunate to have found a rare cache of stylii/cartridges. I do believe there are still some of these "out there" yet to be found.

Last bit of hot air: from my searchings, top caliber NOS items seem to be more available in European countries.

just my $0.02

DesertTwang likes this.
  8. lini

lini just me...

DT: Actually many of the established vendors in the US (e.g. Garage-a-records, Thevoiceofmusic, NeedleDoctor, LPGear/ElexAtelier/LPTunes, Turntableneedles, Stereoneedles, BBE...) and over here in Germany and the rest Europe (e.g. Mr.Stylus, Micron-Heinrich, (William)Thakker, Svalander, AMAA, pich-upnaalden.nl...) used to and often enough still offer new old stock stuff, too. However, most of that has become quite a bit more expensive in the meantime, and a lot of the attractive, higher quality products are already sold-out.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

DesertTwang, wualta and RonniB like this.
  9. Old Guy8

Old Guy8 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Thought I would add question to this older thread. Running AT440MLa with original stylus. Just ordered a stylus for AT440MLb as backup, while I could find. What is your impressions of MLa vs MLb?

10. benricci

benricci Active Member

They are virtually identical. I'm using the "b" stylus and I can't tell any difference.

11. Old Guy8

Benricci,
    Thanks. I was hopeing so. I was a little slow finding out the 440,s were discontinued. So some posters here have stocked up for future. Little late now. Prices are up.
    Maybe the new AT replacement line will be just as revealing.

12. DesertTwang

DesertTwang Active Member

Are the styli from the MLa and the MLb interchangeable? Just trying to figure out whether I will be able to use an MLb stylus on my MLa cart when the times come to replace the stylus.

13. Alobar

Alobar Pulling out of the Last Chance Texaco.. Subscriber

Yes I believe that they are, as well as the 150 mlx stylus. Problem is that all these have been discontinued. What comes along to replace the ML line is anyone's guess.

DesertTwang likes this.
  14. Balifly

Balifly Listening Subscriber

15. benricci

benricci Active Member

Yes, they are interchangeable. The new series is the VM, and Audio-Technica is saying the VM540ml's stylus is the new replacement for the old 440 cartridges.

DesertTwang likes this.
  16. Old Guy8

I see the VML540 cart is rated at nominal 2 grams VTF compared to 440MLa and 440MLb carts at nominal 1.4 grams. That is a fair differance. I would wonder about compatability of stylii.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
    DesertTwang likes this.
  17. benricci

benricci Active Member

They are compatible. You just may need to add a tad more tracking force if you put a VM stylus on the old AT440 body. Audio-Technica has already addressed this in their FAQ.

Old Guy8 and DesertTwang like this.
  18. Alobar

Alobar Pulling out of the Last Chance Texaco.. Subscriber

Any speculation as to why they have discontinued these carts and stylus? Run their course? Performed too good for their price point? Too expensive to make?

19. Old Guy8

Good to hear that styii will still be available for the 440 carts. But continuing steady rise in cost. Saw one vendors price on stylus for VM540 was $210. That's $50 -$70 more from venders I sampled. May vary.

20. Mark B

Mark B Yamaha Fan Subscriber

Thanks for the info. I've ordered one for an AT440MLb.