Is it dumb to upgrade to AT440 now that it's discontinued?

Thought I would add question to this older thread. Running AT440MLa with original stylus. Just ordered a stylus for AT440MLb as backup, while I could find. What is your impressions of MLa vs MLb?
They are virtually identical. I'm using the "b" stylus and I can't tell any difference.

They are virtually identical. I'm using the "b" stylus and I can't tell any difference.

Benricci,
Thanks. I was hopeing so. I was a little slow finding out the 440,s were discontinued. So some posters here have stocked up for future. Little late now. Prices are up.
Maybe the new AT replacement line will be just as revealing.

Are the styli from the MLa and the MLb interchangeable? Just trying to figure out whether I will be able to use an MLb stylus on my MLa cart when the times come to replace the stylus.

Yes I believe that they are, as well as the 150 mlx stylus. Problem is that all these have been discontinued. What comes along to replace the ML line is anyone's guess.

Are the styli from the MLa and the MLb interchangeable? Just trying to figure out whether I will be able to use an MLb stylus on my MLa cart when the times come to replace the stylus.
Yes, they are interchangeable. The new series is the VM, and Audio-Technica is saying the VM540ml's stylus is the new replacement for the old 440 cartridges.

I see the VML540 cart is rated at nominal 2 grams VTF compared to 440MLa and 440MLb carts at nominal 1.4 grams. That is a fair differance. I would wonder about compatability of stylii.

Last edited:
I see the VML540 cart is rated at nominal 2 grams VTF compared to 440MLa and 440MLb carts at nominal 1.4 grams. That is a fair differance. I would wonder about compatability of stylii.
They are compatible. You just may need to add a tad more tracking force if you put a VM stylus on the old AT440 body. Audio-Technica has already addressed this in their FAQ.

Any speculation as to why they have discontinued these carts and stylus? Run their course? Performed too good for their price point? Too expensive to make?

Good to hear that styii will still be available for the 440 carts. But continuing steady rise in cost. Saw one vendors price on stylus for VM540 was $210. That's $50 -$70 more from venders I sampled. May vary.

The ATN150Sa stylus installed on the AT440MLa body is magic! I'm hearing details that I have never heard before. Details have also taken on a vertical plain, in other words, there is stuff positioning all over not just from left to right, but from top to bottom. This combination works better then the ATN150MLX and AT440MLa body.

Wayner

Thanks for the info. I've ordered one for an AT440MLb.

Aaaaah....fellow Minnesotan. I'm pretty sure you will like it. I am tracking at 1.6 grams, arm is parallel to record surface (with stylus in the groove).

'ner

As far as the 440MLB cartridge is concerned, buy a new leftover. But be forewarned from me about replacing the ATN440MLB stylus with the newer replacement VMN40ML...I did just that, and found the stylus/cantilever and its holder of questionable quality: cantilever visibly canted (not bent) to one side, and is very slightly twisted (checked under a microscope). The plastic holder did not snap on properly to the 440MLB body (too tight, it took a few snap-ons & offs to get it to seat properly). The sound is more thin and hollow compared to the original cart/stylus assembly, and I don't like tracking at two grams because the cantilever is very thin and the cart rides very low on the record where it can easily bottom out if bounced. IMHO, I don't consider the VMN40ML to be a good replacement. Get the original setup or something else.

Last edited:
I'm finally ready to upgrade to my first "nice" cartridge, and after watching every YouTube shootout video and reading countless threads, I feel the Audio Technica AT440MLa would do nicely in my system.

Except at the very end of my research, I found out that the entire 440 cartridge line has been discontinued as of last month.

Would it still be a good idea to pick one up? My only concern would be to get stuck without replacement styli.

What usually happens in this kind of scenario? Do manufacturers continue to make replacement styli for discontinued cartridges, or are the owners SOL? I couldn't find aftermarket styli for this cartridge, for some reason, so I'm not sure what to do...
Pulling the trigger on the AT-440 is not as much a risk as the new NM styli will fit it. Better yet might be getting a 100E, it's the same body as the 440 at lower price and can hang all the NOS ATN-style connection finer point styli. I am currently breaking in a 120e/t mounting a 125LC stylus and have been very surprised. Had only previously run AT nude bonded shanks, this 125LC being the first titanium bonded model I have heard and hear little difference if any with the nudes with less surface noise than the nude Microlines and Shibatas.

Back
Top Bottom