Is it insane to pay that much for these?

WhiteSE

Is Lute Gluten Free??
Subscriber
linky clicky!

What kind of cab size would be ideal....I have heard good things about that company on some DIY forums..

1150574566.jpg

I've never heard this 'Iconic' version of the Altec 604-K but they are built by Bill Hanuschak of Great Plains and based on the 604's I have heard I'd say yeah, they are worth that much.

I believe the woofer parameters on these are very similar to my G's and my experience is that the best cabinet is 9ft3, tuned to 40Hz and using a wide 24" baffle - basically the Altec 620A or a variant. It's not that they sound bad in smaller boxes but you loose bass extension (which is about 40Hz in the big box I'm suggesting) and a narrow baffle kind of hurts the upper bass/lower mid balance which isn't a good thing with these - they can sound forward in the midrange. System matching does wonders for the mid balance but a wide baffle is an important element (IMO).

Bill, do you happen to know off hand a cab I can look at online that matches your cab description? what kind of dimensions are we talking about.?

I have spoke with Bill Hanuschak on a couple of occasions. He owns all the remaining tooling from Altec and manufactures the replacement diaphrams for Altec compression drivers. I think he was the last engineer/production manager there or something to that effect.

I wouldn't pay that much for the because Im too damn cheap, but are the worth $1350.00 or something around that? My guess would be yes.

RC

Back
Top Bottom