is it just me or do RTR's with metal take up reels sell for more?

gogofast

Addicted Member
i often look at reel 2 reel players on ebay.
most of times listings that have pictures that contain metal take up reel sell for a lot more than ones without. even though some listings say 'metal take up reel is not included', people, for some reason, pay way more for them. i did some direct comparison of two different players with same model number and same excellent condition, about the same shipping cost, and one with metal reel in the picture, which was not included in the auction, sold for $45 more than the one without the metal reel in the picture. some weird psychology plays here i bet.

Original metal takeup reels for Pioneer R2Rs, in good condition will sell for upwards of $85, every day of the week. I always try to get original takeup reels for each deck I sell.

Enjoy,
Rich P

gogofast said:
i often look at reel 2 reel players on ebay.
most of times listings that have pictures that contain metal take up reel sell for a lot more than ones without. even though some listings say 'metal take up reel is not included', people, for some reason, pay way more for them. i did some direct comparison of two different players with same model number and same excellent condition, about the same shipping cost, and one with metal reel in the picture, which was not included in the auction, sold for $45 more than the one without the metal reel in the picture. some weird psychology plays here i bet.

It is because they just look cool. Have several reels poking out of box in the garage that I never move because I like looking at them. If they had been the clear plastic ones that box would have been put in it's place lond ago.

pustelniakr said:
Original metal takeup reels for Pioneer R2Rs, in good condition will sell for upwards of $85, every day of the week. I always try to get original takeup reels for each deck I sell.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Rich nailed it. While the Maxell and TDK metal reels are cool, one really needs a nice matching metal reel for his Pioneer, Akai, or Teac deck.

Check out what a black metal one goes for sometime...........

Oh, and the NAB hubs are worth about $50/pair for those 10" reels, so make sure any 10" deck your looking at has them.

i understand that if the reels and hubs are included in the auction, but i'm talking about just the pictures of them and notice:'take up reels are not included' in such a big letters where bidders can't possible mistake them for being included.

gogofast said:
i understand that if the reels and hubs are included in the auction, but i'm talking about just the pictures of them and notice:'take up reels are not included' in such a big letters where bidders can't possible mistake them for being included.
Perhaps the units that look pretiest in the pictures simply get more attention that a deck without reels shown. :scratch2:

Back
Top Bottom