Is it me

calman46

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
or has anybody else noticed that there many SX 626's in mint shape. I am recapping etc... the one I have had for years and never used. I can't remember where I got it. When reading through all the AK threads most of the units in the threads are mint also . Inside of mine was clean has new and the outside, like right out the box.It has two sets of speakers plugs too .I'm not sure how hot theses run but there is no sign of scorching. The push buttons do have that little hole for deoxit in them not sure if that's factory or not .
I did a pre-listen with cheap headphones and it is working , scratchy controls . I'm going to spruce up the little guy .

The one mint SX receiver I've had was indeed a 626 with all the speaker plugs. Great little unit after having new lights and being recapped.

They deserve it . I’ve had two here , both left . The tuners in those were top notch , the early 70’s were the heyday of radio so they were built well . If I remember correctly one of mine came with the normal , later speaker terminals . It was pristine .

Mine is pretty much "as close to new condition" as it gets without the box and plastic covering, also. I don't play it much as I've gotten spoiled by my 737 and 939 (protection circuits). I'm seriously thinking about replacing my 434 in the RV with the 626.

Pure speculation here, but do you suppose that some original buyers of the 626 were so enamored and impressed with the performance that they quickly "upgraded" to a larger wattage unit, like a an 828 or "30" series unit and relegated the almost new 626s to reserve duty, or packed them back into boxes for safe keeping?

Pure speculation here, but do you suppose that some original buyers of the 626 were so enamored and impressed with the performance that they quickly "upgraded" to a larger wattage unit, like a an 828 or "30" series unit and relegated the almost new 626s to reserve duty, or packed them back into boxes for safe keeping?
Or better yet the SX1010 heh heh.

No. Because they would have traded or sold the 626 to fund the new purchase. I think someone who bought this model receiver worked their ass off to be able to afford it and couldn't afford the top of the line model. It blows my mind how much of the really expensive stuff is just beat to hell.

So true about the top end models being beat to hell. I have been on the hunt for an ultra minty SX-1050/1250 but I have yet to come across one that doesn’t have some fix from a prior tech or have some form of corrosion on them. I have a pretty nice SX-1050 now but the insides are still not cherry like I’d want to see it - got surface corrosion so then metal isn’t shiny new but “speckled” looking :(

It's not that the lesser models were better kept, it's that the better models that are still minty will only be pried from their owners stone cold hands after they no longer need them lol. This is how I acquired my minty SX1010.

My 1250 came from a college town, but decades after it was made. Cosmetically, it was nearly perfect, but it had suffered some failures. I'm guessing that the professor who owned it could no longer find reasonable and reliable repair service, and donated it to the local charity/thrift store. Our AK "network" spied it for me, and made it happen.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/found-pioneer-sx-1250.502388/

That may be exception, but just my experience. I did a similar thing same with an 850 and 950.

Back
Top Bottom