Is it safe to take her for a spin?

Discussion in 'Fisher' started by ronrico, Aug 4, 2017.

1. ronrico

ronrico AK Subscriber Subscriber

I recently picked up a Fisher 400 SN 231651. I hooked up a pair of test speakers and brought it up on a variac/dbt. Cd player through aux input. It played well with no obvious problems. The filter caps were replaced by others at least 8 years ago, I believe the rectifier was also replaced.
    My question is, would it be safe to play it for a relatively short period of time, say an hour or two? I just want to remind my self how wonderfully a tube amp can sound. I don't know how helpful they will be, but I'll attempt to post some pics.
    Thanks,
    Ron

Attached Files:

2. gadget73

gadget73 junk junkie Subscriber

if it came up ok on the variac and isn't all original you're probably OK. Keep an eye on the output tubes for visible signs of distress though. If they start glowing red or other odd colors, turn it off. Blue up against the glass is fine, pink inside the plate structure is not.

3. RS Steve

RS Steve Tube Junkie Subscriber

Looks like the dual 1000 uf underside cap was replaced and the selenium rectifier, but the top cans look to be original along with the coupling caps. I would install an inrush limiter to drop the voltage a tad, and protect the power switch. If you have a lazer temp reader, you can see if any of the cans are getting hot which can mean they are on the way out.

4. ronrico

ronrico AK Subscriber Subscriber

The underside caps and the rectifier appear to be the only parts replaced. Thanks for the input, I'll give her a go.