Is it the tv or Comcast- no volume after commercials

I would have told them to run it; doesn't work the way it is.
She was concerned the diagnostics might break the box. No way I want that to occur on a Friday afternoon! Because the symptom is infrequent and is easily resolved with a reboot I scheduled an appointment. Turned out they could come today so here I sit awaiting the cable guy. I'm just hangin' out paying bills. Plus it's 16 degrees with a wind chill of -5 so I'm settle in for the day.

I'm not good at waiting. If it was a big problem I'd just exchange the box at the "local" office 30 miles up the road. The problem with a service call is if they determine it's your problem then you get the bill. OTOH, if it gets fixed then maybe it's still worth it .

Could be it's poor signal strength. They should have been able to remotely look at what the box is reporting without damaging anything.

Do you have cable Internet? If so, you can usually get signal strength from the cable modem. It's not a guarantee what the STB sees, but if it's way out of whack it could be a clue. Type 192.168.100.1 into the address bar and hit enter. That almost always brings up the cable modem stats page. What are the numbers (screen capture works well)? Example:

Screenshot_2017-02-25-23-00-37.png

You don't, by chance, have the cable box stacked or in a relatively tight space so it's not well-ventilated?

Last edited:
I'm not good at waiting. If it was a big problem I'd just exchange the box at the "local" office 30 miles up the road. The problem with a service call is if they determine it's your problem then you get the bill. OTOH, if it gets fixed then maybe it's still worth it .

Could be it's poor signal strength. They should have been able to remotely look at what the box is reporting without damaging anything.

Do you have cable Internet? If so, you can usually get signal strength from the cable modem. It's not a guarantee what the STB sees, but if it's way out of whack it could be a clue. Type 192.168.100.1 into the address bar and hit enter. That almost always brings up the cable modem stats page. What are the numbers (screen capture works well)? Example:

View attachment 886285

You don't, by chance, have the cable box stacked or in a relatively tight space so it's not well-ventilated?
Cable box isn't stacked; it's in a cabinet that has reasonable airflow through it.
It was Comcast's call to send the tech so I would push back if they want to charge for the visit.

upload_2017-3-12_12-27-28.pngupload_2017-3-12_12-27-28.png

He just pulled in so gotta run!

Signal levels look OK, if not on the high side of the typ. -15dBmv to 15dBmv range. S/N ratio looks OK too.

There should be some numbers for upstream too.

Do you have the newest Xfinity box? The first model Xfinity model boxed were bug filled and just terrible. The newest models are awesome.....the remotes are RF and voice operated as well. Getting the new box solved all our troubles.

Latest update. Had Comcast come out again. This time they re arranged cabling from the box to tv. Before: cablebox>hdmi cable> tv, then tv>optical cable>soundbar. Now it is: cablebox>hdmi cable> soundbar, and soundbar>hdmi cable> tv. Both tv and soundbar set to hdmi3. So far, with the tv on for over 14 hours last Tuesday's during the "snowstorm", it never muted once. Not sure why it works this way and not how I previously had it cabled. Time will tell.......

Back
Top Bottom